AIO tanks for advanced hobbyst

Are AIO tanks suitable for seasoned aquarists?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Been meaning to start this pool for a while...

So I have a 90 gallon system with sump running for a couple of years, and my wife and I really enjoy it. The only problem is that I would love to spend much more time on it but I just can't. That can be noticed by how the rocks are not impecable clean or the sandbed. And that really bothers me, I really wish I could keep up with the required maintenance. I don't want to leave the hobby though, just looking for a low maintenance alternative.
I like the idea of less equipment and lower risk of flooding the house, less water waste.

So in the spirit of reduced maintenance and time with the tank, do you guys think that going with a smaller AIO tank is going to be less work? I'm looking at the 20g IM Nuvo. I understand that the parameters will change easier with less water volume, but I can use my experience from a bigger tank. I guess a better question would be if the the equipment for AIOs are now good to the point that you can get away without a sump?
Changing only one HD bucket of water sounds much easier than 4 and not having to deal with the sump maintenance is a big plus. Also no more skimmer and return pump humming all the time - I imagine the smaller equipment on AIO produce less noise.

Let me know what you guys think! Maybe I'm just not picturing things right and AIO is as much work as a big tank.

Thanks!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found maintenance was really the same from my 30g nuvo to my 100g traditional (sump) system. just smaller equipment. still need to do water changes, probably test more frequently since swings happen faster (in the 30g). having a sump has made things actually more enjoyable for me. the risk of lesswater flooding is a pro for a smaller AIO, all the water is contained so equipment failures wont cause a flood aside from the tank breaking.

have you looking in to Automatic water changes? game changer for me

if i ever go back to an AIO, i will figure a way to keep AWC included!

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think about an AWC sytem yet. I was just thinking if downsizing qould save me some work. Not sure if smaller tank is really less work. My plan is to keep a pair of clowns, a royal gramma and a goby, and some softies, nothing crazy.

Here's a picture I found from our current tank

20180907_195229.jpg

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what aspects of maintenance are keeping you occuipied right now?

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current strugles are water changes are long, battling with cyano for a while also adds up (I know it can happen on a smaller tank, but less rock to clean), sump cleaning is difficult (cabinet from marineland are low and difficult to access, sump can't be removed), and constantly having to fill my 5g ATO reservoir - evaporating at least a gallon a day.

I know it will be the same type of worl on a 20g tank, but it sounds like it will take only half of the time and effort. Specially being able to access everything from the top of the tank

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would have an easier time with water changes. I have a very similar setup, I have barebottom and while it is not as nice looking at first, it is SOOO much easier to keep clean, also invest a few hundred in a clean up crew will save you lots of time. also use magnet cleaner daily so your not having to scrape with blade.

Your tank looks really good to me. I've been in the same boat wishing I had a little smaller tank because of water changes. My wife HATES the brute trash cans I use, also our RO/DI is under kitchen sink.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being able to access all from the top is nice, also frees up any stand for random things. in my 30nuvo i had a 5g home depot bucket and it last 2 weeks at a time. my 100g loses about 1-1.5g a day, i use a 10g reservoir now and its still a pain. awc might help your overall troubles with your current tank and even the cyano. as for cleaning the sump... F it? lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back