AIO vs SUMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what route to take on my next adventure, an all-in-one (AIO) or a sump? having been in the hobby for about 7+ years I have a good understanding of what I want. Currently, I'm leaning towards a 35-gallon AIO softie tank. I am aware of the downsides, such as less water volume and limited space for filtration, but I’d love to hear from anyone with long-term experience with AIO aquariums. What are your thoughts? Additionally, if anyone can share the pros and cons of both setups, that might sway my decision. I'm all ears.

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 35 Gal set up I would go with the AIO. there is enough room in the back to manage filtration however you see fit, skimmer, fleece roller, refugium, media baskets etc. Use a good ATO and the small water volume becomes easy to manage. It will always take some managing tho because it is such a small volume of water. what size tank do you currently have?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 35 Gal set up I would go with the AIO. there is enough room in the back to manage filtration however you see fit, skimmer, fleece roller, refugium, media baskets etc. Use a good ATO and the small water volume becomes easy to manage. It will always take some managing tho because it is such a small volume of water. what size tank do you currently have?
I have a 750 litre which I think is 200 gallons, I was meant to sell ages ago but never did haha

eelman07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your budget? I have both a tank with a sump and a aio and the sump is nice to have and gives you more filtration capabilities , so if your budget allows I would go with a sump but if not an aio is a good second option imo.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your budget? I have both a tank with a sump and a aio and the sump is nice to have and gives you more filtration capabilities , so if your budget allows I would go with a sump but if not an aio is a good second option imo.
One of the many reasons I want to downgrade is due to costs, I've been having problems with bottoming out my nitrate and phosphate and I think it's because of my filter roller works too well LOL.

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an im 15 gal cube and an im 20g long currently set up as my two tanks and I personally love both of them. AsI said I think the modern AIOs that are under 50 gallons make sense, anything bigger than a 50 id want a sump just for maintenance purposes.

eelman07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the many reasons I want to downgrade is due to costs, I've been having problems with bottoming out my nitrate and phosphate and I think it's because of my filter roller works too well LOL.
Yea than i would go with the AIO super easy setup and cheaper than a sump

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an im 15 gal cube and an im 20g long currently set up as my two tanks and I personally love both of them. AsI said I think the modern AIOs that are under 50 gallons make sense, anything bigger than a 50 id want a sump just for maintenance purposes.
Can I ask a stupid question? How does the tank get easier for maintenance with a sump?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a custom AIO built with enlarged baffles. Makes no sense to have 3-1/2 inches to play with. With be closed looped therefore additional filtration below where a traditional sump would go including possibly building a custom sealed sump with access hatched latched similar to how reactors are designed.

My issues with dumps goes back to wet dries. Difficult to prime if tank not drilled. Spills can occur although proper design reduces that. Noisy. My lower back prefers not constantly bending over. Granted all that open access makes maintenance easier yet properly designed AIO plus plumbed canister or rescues can be the same.

Biggest negative with AIO being real estate play to attached sump vs underneath and why they tend to be only 3-1/2” in width. Here’s where closed loop canister system can solve that. Assuming not running a skimmer is fine. Latter much easier and pragmatic with an underneath sump. Talking big tanks and nano where small skimmers fit inside the baffles

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a stupid question? How does the tank get easier for maintenance with a sump?
so I guess that is in many ways personal preference but I use the same filter process in my AIO as I do in a sump. left to right(dual over flows in the 20) media basket, refugium, return chamber with heaters, skimmer, filter sock. so to get access to all of them I have to get up and to the back of the display tank while having to do all of my work in a small 4inch wide space so cramming my hand down into the back chamber isn't the easiest when it comes to dealing with the filtration chamber and having all the space in a sump with everything right there access wise is easier for me. but once set up the AIO don't need much tweaking

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a custom AIO built with enlarged baffles. Makes no sense to have 3-1/2 inches to play with. With be closed looped therefore additional filtration below where a traditional sump would go including possibly building a custom sealed sump with access hatched latched similar to how reactors are designed.

My issues with dumps goes back to wet dries. Difficult to prime if tank not drilled. Spills can occur although proper design reduces that. Noisy. My lower back prefers not constantly bending over. Granted all that open access makes maintenance easier yet properly designed AIO plus plumbed canister or rescues can be the same.

Biggest negative with AIO being real estate play to attached sump vs underneath and why they tend to be only 3-1/2” in width. Here’s where closed loop canister system can solve that. Assuming not running a skimmer is fine. Latter much easier and pragmatic with an underneath sump. Talking big tanks and nano where small skimmers fit inside the baffles
Oh yeah my current tank has been annoying the **** out of me lately with the noise, I keep tweaking the overflow pipe and it will be good for a day, but the next it'll have the trickling sound again lol

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah my current tank has been annoying the **** out of me lately with the noise, I keep tweaking the overflow pipe and it will be good for a day, but the next it'll have the trickling sound again lol
Wife not having any of that and terms of negotiation in getting approved for my dream tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleece roller in an AIO? i don't think all of them have the capacity for it?
Or are there actually very tiny fleece rollers?

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like one of these, can’t find one on google tho :(

FuriuzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! But i’m from europe :/

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.1%
Back