Aiptasia F . This will kill it
image.jpg

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ugh bummer. Manually Getting it off the rock is NOT a super fun process and I was barely successful in a small section.
Majano want would likely do the trick. It will kill soft tissue so would likely break down most if not all of the GSP.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Majano want would likely do the trick. It will kill soft tissue so would likely break down most if not all of the GSP.

“Yes (in saltwater only). Although not designed for other purposes, we have had many users tell us the Majano Wand works great against unwanted Mushrooms, Xenia, Zoanthids, Palythoas and many other soft corals. Treat the unwanted coral the same as a unwanted nuisance anemone.”

Make sure you note this part:

“***Please keep in mind that some Corals may release toxins as they die, with that said ,be very careful not to kill to much coral at one time as the toxins released by the dying coral(s) may harm other corals that you keep.***”

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove rock, a kalk paste applied to areas where you do not want it and let it sit for 5 minutes out of water, then a rinse in old tank water will work great. It will melt it.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I don’t think I’m wanting to kill all of the GSP, at least not yet anyways. The person who owned my tank put it on the very top of the aquascape on a huge rock. It’s a prime spot so I might end up rethinking that sentiment at a later date.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove rock, a kalk paste applied to areas where you do not want it and let it sit for 5 minutes out of water, then a rinse in old tank water will work great. It will melt it.
Any links on kalk paste? I tried googling it, didn’t come up with much

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any links on kalk paste? I tried googling it, didn’t come up with much
You take kalkwasser and rodi water and make a paste about as thick as toothpaste. That is what you smear on the rock in the areas where you want to kill the gsp.

Do not do this in the tank, as it will lead to a large PH and alk spike.

You can sometimes find small cheap containers of it at petco or similar, that way there is no need to order a huge bag/tote of it. It may also not be labeled as Kalk and may be a labeled as something to increase PH. Trick is to make sure it list calcium hydroxide as the main ingredient.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You take kalkwasser and rodi water and make a paste about as thick as toothpaste. That is what you smear on the rock in the areas where you want to kill the gsp.

Do not do this in the tank, as it will lead to a large PH and alk spike.

You can sometimes find small cheap containers of it at petco or similar, that way there is no need to order a huge bag/tote of it. It may also not be labeled as Kalk and may be a labeled as something to increase PH. Trick is to make sure it list calcium hydroxide as the main ingredient.
Thank you!!!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just attempted another manual removal with a five gallon water change. Armed with dental tools, razor blade, and steel brush. Not happy with the result and ended up giving up. I only removed a small section pretty cleanly and the other sections look rough. The only way to get it off the rock is to stub it off. Definitely going to look into the kalk past or at least try to aipastia x if that doesn’t work I might nuke the rock or bust it up and make the middle an island. It will be angry for a few days,so silver lining ;)
CBBA2DA3-6998-46E2-BCAB-0B9C4843FC6B.jpeg
850CAF2B-27CD-44DA-B403-46A7AEC6C2A1.jpeg
D628DA3F-5F64-45C5-BE3D-2DF8B972B809.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back