Aiptasia and Vermatid invasion

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big rock covered in green mushrooms . Also covered with aiptasia and vermatid snails. I was thinking of placing big rock in a bucket and throw 5 peppermint shrimps in to clean it. I have wrasse in my tank Currently all my small frags that have vermatids and or aiptasia. I have a breeder box that I have peppermint shrimps in as a cleaning station.

As for the bucket do I need air stones to keep shrimps alive or few days should be good without.

OP
OP
johntdaballa

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning station

Attachments

• A352F973-207A-49FF-A186-0C0FC2DBEF5A.jpeg
    A352F973-207A-49FF-A186-0C0FC2DBEF5A.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 75

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If for few days in bucket then i would be adding something for flow as bacteria on and in the rocks will need the flow.
Will need temperature to stay at what it should be and if just couple of shrimp in bucket then wont need as much oxygen as fish ( top of water surface is where the gas exchange happens and bucket opening only small but shouldn't be that much problem with few shrimps imo butcbe best with some gas exchange happenning.
But if you taking rock out of tank. Why don't you just remove the vermitted with pliers/ tweezers and chip away the rock where the aiptasia attached so aiptasia stays in one piece and you removing it while it foot still attached to the rock that you chisel/ chip/ scrape away.
I mean scrape the top surface of rock away and not the aiptasia

Edit: if any photsynthic organisms on rock then need light

BirdRockReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of success using the ApistasiaX from RedSea. I had one randomly pop up in my tank in a spot where I couldn't yank the rock. Covered that sucker in ApistasiaX, bam, gone.

As for vermitids, I have them in my tank (i've read a lot on them). They aren't the worst, but if they are by your corals they can irritate them. But whenever they get close to my corals, I just crush a half dozen with tweezers whenever I do maintenance. Don't want to kill too many in the tank cuz it will spike levels as they decompose unless your shrimp or wrasse eats them. Seems to keep them at bay.

OP
OP
johntdaballa

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a lot of success using the ApistasiaX from RedSea. I had one randomly pop up in my tank in a spot where I couldn't yank the rock. Covered that sucker in ApistasiaX, bam, gone.

As for vermitids, I have them in my tank (i've read a lot on them). They aren't the worst, but if they are by your corals they can irritate them. But whenever they get close to my corals, I just crush a half dozen with tweezers whenever I do maintenance. Don't want to kill too many in the tank cuz it will spike levels as they decompose unless your shrimp or wrasse eats them. Seems to keep them at bay.
I have tried Aptasia X and F Aiptasia . Seems to work well then boom more show up. I thought I have killed them but they come back more fierce :mad: and bigger .

Vermatids shoot out this webbing that has been irritating my corals and also eye sore to see webbing in the water.
My breeder box cleaning station has helped out a lot especially Some of the hard to reach areas.

If for few days in bucket then i would be adding something for flow as bacteria on and in the rocks will need the flow.
Will need temperature to stay at what it should be and if just couple of shrimp in bucket then wont need as much oxygen as fish ( top of water surface is where the gas exchange happens and bucket opening only small but shouldn't be that much problem with few shrimps imo butcbe best with some gas exchange happenning.
But if you taking rock out of tank. Why don't you just remove the vermitted with pliers/ tweezers and chip away the rock where the aiptasia attached so aiptasia stays in one piece and you removing it while it foot still attached to the rock that you chisel/ chip/ scrape away.
I mean scrape the top surface of rock away and not the aiptasia

Edit: if any photsynthic organisms on rock then need light

Army of peppermint shrimps hopefully should be able to eradicate all aiptasia and vermatids. Need to get a few more to speed up the process .

Good idea i'll try to remove as much as possible! All the other areas that i'm not able to reach shrimps should be able to .

BPCGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big rock covered in green mushrooms . Also covered with aiptasia and vermatid snails. I was thinking of placing big rock in a bucket and throw 5 peppermint shrimps in to clean it. I have wrasse in my tank Currently all my small frags that have vermatids and or aiptasia. I have a breeder box that I have peppermint shrimps in as a cleaning station.

As for the bucket do I need air stones to keep shrimps alive or few days should be good without.
Bumble bee snails wiped out my vermetid problem.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back