Aiptasia frying laser anyone?

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, has anyone seen this? a real aiptasia laser - Reef Central Online Community

For some reason I have had and outbreak of aiptasia lately and I was thinking of getting a laser to eradicate them. I know it might not be the quickest or cheapest way but it sure looks like a lot of fun. :wink: Besides, I always wanted a high powered laser.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if you could come up with a RC frying Laser that would be something worth buying!! Copperband Butterfly Fish works just fine IMO
Bill

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had any luck with copperbands personally for some reason. I have bought a few before and most died within a few weeks. I had one that lived about a year but it wouldn't touch the aiptasia. The laser looks much more fun anyway. :D

coralkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that a Filefish is the way to go. They had one up at Ebay a while back.
Scott says that they are Aiptasia eating machines.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys mean like this one?
219085d8.jpg

I've had him for over a month and he would rather have a staring contest with an aiptasia than eat it. :D

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I have the mental image a mad scientist making an aptasia death ray?????? And a creepy mad scientist laugh like muuuhhhhaaaaah

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I have the mental image a mad scientist making an aptasia death ray?????? And a creepy mad scientist laugh like muuuhhhhaaaaah

Been working on the laugh all morning. :choler: I've actually inquired about one but haven't gotten a response yet.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a response from him and ordered a 1-1.3W 445nm laser. Now I just need a shark for remote operation.

dr-evil.jpg

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O lord I didn't even put it together that it was rcmike.... After using it for aptasia, I can only imagine, dogfights ??? , getting back at ***** neighbors lol I think I need one too ... But back to the topic

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of what I could do with it if I put it on a plane. :xd:

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about trying a Filefish?

Aiptasia Eating Filefish

I've been banging my head against the wall making this suggestion for many many years on RC and here. I have used these File fish several times with GREAT success. I have virtually given up recommending them on these type of forums b/c few listen.

I actually just got another one back in September to attend to my aiptasia in my 180gl sps tank.

IMHO

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had exactly the opposite luck with them. I got a pair from live aquaria a couple of years ago before I saw them around here and neither one touched the few aiptasia I had at the time. I bought the one I have now and he hasn't touched them either. They are one of my favorite fish however and I'd buy one even if I didn't have aiptasia.

I am really getting the laser as a "fun" way to get rid of the aiptasia. I have tried predators, joes juice, vineger, and others over the years. Some have worked better than others. Usually if I see an aiptasia I think crap, I need to get rid of that. Now I will probably be looking for more to kill. :)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bart.. what was that fish I sent you a while back. a green grunt? some brackish fish I could that can be acclimated to saltwater and will mow thru them. I found it in a store in LIttle Rock. Ugly little guy but from what I was told, great aptasia eater... they are sold freshwater but can be acclimated.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only grunts I have heard of are like these.

grunt+fish.jpg

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those probe's look interesting. I think it would be the sure fire way to go, since they seem to be pretty proven.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back