OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try to get a video this weekend but it pretty much looks just like all the others. :D SmyrnaReefer, which kind of polyps are you talking about? I don't have any but it probably would work. I did try it on some mushrooms that were growing close to an SPS and it didn't seem to have nearly the punch as it did with aiptasia. It seemed to burn them a little where the laser hit them but didn't kill them. Could have something to do with the colors not absorbing the light like the brown anemones. I did try and experiment where I drew a line through the middle of a mushroom to see if it would cause it to split. Might be an easy way to propagate mushrooms and ricordia if it works.

It works very well for aiptasia that are on the front of rocks but it is harder to get the ones on the sides of them. It burns part of it but it is hard to get the base. I think after doing it a few times it will kill it though. It got most of them the first time but a few popped back up. I probably didn't hold it on them long enough.

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the parts yesterday and should get them on Monday or Tuesday. After that, I've got some frying to do!

CJ

CreatiVe2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! wonder what a video of it would look like?

Heres my video that's being passed around the reef forums :)
the vid is of a 700mw Laser, now i have a 1.2W laser that is waterproof - will be making a video of that shortly

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cbk7mA5PuAQ?hd=1[/video]

remember do 720p

Also - this (and others) have not come back after I "treated" them :)

reefrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wickedlasers.com has several high powered lasers that come in blue or green. comes with charger, glasses , tripod. also can run nonstop with out burning up the diode. thought about getting one in the past for camping better than a lighter or matches. Very user friendly compared to a lot of other units.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wickedlasers.com has several high powered lasers that come in blue or green. comes with charger, glasses , tripod. also can run nonstop with out burning up the diode. thought about getting one in the past for camping better than a lighter or matches. Very user friendly compared to a lot of other units.
Please remember, there are huge safety concerns with high power lasers. Anything generating enough energy to light a match could instantly blind anyone struck by the beam without safety goggles. Just looking at the beam end-point is dangerous. For use in a public setting, you'd need safety glasses (at ~$40 a pair) for anyone anywhere near where you were using the laser - not to mention making sure no pets were in laser area.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back