Aiptasia frying laser anyone?

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been researching the use of Laser light to control pests. I've ordered the parts to build (can't purchase pre-built due to FDA regs) a 1800mW, 445nm laser.

1800mW445nm.jpg

I hope to be able to begin testing in a few days. Safety (mine as well as that of the livestock) is of paramount concern - At this power output, blinding could be instantaneous if shined in ones eye - Even looking at the beam endpoint unprotected is dangerous. Safety goggles provide user/viewer protection. I'm still working on a shield to prevent injury to livestock.

This idea was suggested by Lotus-Darkrose, a user in the Laser Pointer forums - albeit a bit difficult to deploy :D

Clownfish_shades.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That laser is really cool! Might have to pick one of them up.

Mine is a little lower power than the one he is getting but it is from the same place. Like aquariums, the price goes up exponentially with size. Survival laser has a deal for members of laserpointerforums.com so I signed up and bought one. I should get it tomorrow.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how well it works, maybe we can get one for the club to pass around. I'm wondering in their last seconds of life, do the aiptasia spit out their clones as they are getting zapped???

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it would be something you would want to just pass around. These are pretty dangerous and even looking at the spot the laser is shining can cause eye injury. A reflection off of a shiny surface can be really bad. I got a pair of laser safety glasses too and they were close to $40 by themselves. If it does work out well I might could come over and zap some aips for some people. I'll have to see how well it works and how time consuming it is though.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it would be something you would want to just pass around. These are pretty dangerous and even looking at the spot the laser is shining can cause eye injury. A reflection off of a shiny surface can be really bad.

+1!

The safety concerns of this cannot be overemphasized. Instant blindness can result. For reference, these are also used as survival tools as they will start a fire from even damp wood. Just imagine what a stray beam would do to a retina.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the inherent risk to humans, but I don't think I would want to take a chance of even blinding my fish.

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the inherent risk to humans, but I don't think I would want to take a chance of even blinding my fish.

I agree. I'm planning on using a short section of frosted acrylic tube affixed to a rod for use as a shield to prevent the livestock from viewing the beam endpoint.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how well it works, maybe we can get one for the club to pass around. I'm wondering in their last seconds of life, do the aiptasia spit out their clones as they are getting zapped???
Due to the Dangers involved in this technology i for one do not think this is something the club will buy. The liability far exceeds the usefulness of such an instrument for the club has no such insurance if someone got injured.
If this interests you a personal purchase should be considered.
JMHO
Bill

mikezalewski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make and sell Aiptasia/majano zapper wands. They use electricity and work great on many other problems in the tank as well. I can also make them different size handles for in the tank ease. I can also do a group buy if interested. If anyone has any questions let me know I can ship as well 5867467606

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

mikezalewski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I make do not use lasers it is only electric. I use one in my tank and they work great. They are pretty cheap as well shipped they will be cheaper than the other wands on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my laser today. It took me more time to read the directions/warnings than to put it together. I had a group of aiptasias on one rock that I took care of in no time. I was surprised that you can actually hear that sizzling sound like in the videos. The goggles block out blue light really well. I looked up at my LEDs and the blues looked like they weren't even on. I am amazed at the power that this tiny little laser puts out. I moved from one anemone to another about 3 inches from it and you can see the path the laser took in the coralline. Definitely don't point it at something you don't want damaged.

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, sign me up..... i want to use/ rent it for a day..... if you have any nuisance polyps, see if it will zap those also....

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty cool Mike!

Might be a good way to get those stubborn fish that you can never catch out of the tank :xd:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back