Aiptasia question

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the different methods for getting rid of, aka killing, aiptasia and I'm willing to try them. I have a question, though. I have about 4-5 of the buggers on very small rock with some Favia(?). The rock is no bigger than a small egg. Is there any reason why I can't just pick the rock up and out of the water, slice them off with a razor blade and be done with it? Will that cause harm?
Here's a pic.

IMG_1715.JPG

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will more than likely grow back if you don't remove the entire thing. It only takes a small piece for them to regenerate. I had a lot of luck with peppermint shrimp. You can also try aiptasia-x but you have to stay on top of it. Good luck. Twilliard beat me to the punch =)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont cut them as any piece will continue to grow.
Cover them individually with superglue
+1. Tackle it while you only have a few. You can feed them kalk paste too to get rid of them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the different methods for getting rid of, aka killing, aiptasia and I'm willing to try them. I have a question, though. I have about 4-5 of the buggers on very small rock with some Favia(?). The rock is no bigger than a small egg. Is there any reason why I can't just pick the rock up and out of the water, slice them off with a razor blade and be done with it? Will that cause harm?
Here's a pic.

IMG_1715.JPG
all the above. poison, cut, glue.
out of the tank.
an hour a go I dripped app x, went back injected the big ones, they let go,(its an anemone it tried to run) and actually a couple fell off, I scraped the lil buggers and hit it with the glue.

i have had a stony coral that was so infested it was absolutely no use no matter what. just popped out of pores in the coral:eek::eek::eek::eek:.
good luck. nems are weird, aiptasia are weird and MEAN nems.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, if you can swing it, I'd QT it for a bit after you treat it just to see if the little evil things grow back. It's a pain, but far easier than having to deal with them overrunning your tank later.

Reeftown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you do nothing as long as they are not posing a problem with your corals. If you mess with the Aiptasia in any way it will send out hundreds of planulae larvae and 3-6 weeks later the babies will begin showing up all over your tank. Peppermints can work if they eat them, but also have a tendency of picking on your zoas and other corals. Aiptasia X will kill them but most chances not before they have sent out their planulae larvae. If you have 1 Aiptasia that is next to a coral, you can take a scallop shell or something to gently place inbetween the two and on the Aiptasia, this will cause the aiptasia to lean away and towards the light and maybe even move from that spot without ever reproducing.

Reeftown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you can swing it, I'd QT it for a bit after you treat it just to see if the little evil things grow back. It's a pain, but far easier than having to deal with them overrunning your tank later.
There is alot to be said for this reply. Any method of treating 1 piece that is not in the tank will pay off in the long run.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back