aiptasia removal by torch

wasabi bean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have input on using a mini butane torch to burn aiptasia? I have a cooking torch and was thinking to just quickly pull the rock up, burn the aiptasia with a butane torch then just quickly replace it. are there any downsides to this? would the rock need to be rinsed before replacing? would think it would be better than kalk paste or F-Aiptasia in the water column or lemon juice.
If you don’t have to many a little dab of superglue is a lot easier than any of that, sure it looks a bit strange to begin with but then it will age in pretty quickly

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have to many a little dab of superglue is a lot easier than any of that, sure it looks a bit strange to begin with but then it will age in pretty quickly
yeah, I know all those methods. was just wondering about the torch. an LFS said their friend uses a lighter to burn them off. so was just wondering since a torch is more precise.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbuilders has a video on YouTube where they use Sodium Hydroxide. I keep them under control like that. Do use gloves and eye protection and limit the sessions as it can increase ALK. At first a few sessions might e necessary, then 1 a month for me.

IMHO better than F, and X aiptasia.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the torch lighter approach several times with no adverse consequences to me, the rock or the tank. It is also fun to sizzle the pests.

The only hassle is that you need to be able to remove the rock from the tank, which his not always possible. I agree that biological cures such as copperbanded butterfly and aiptasia eating filefish work well. No experience with Berghia nudibranchs since I have wrasses.

Last edited:

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this helps many, many people!!! I Just had bought at the time (4 months ago ) Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY..! Wild caught! from SaltwaterAquarium.com. I studied for some three weeks what to do... I was syringing white vinegar daily and I could NOT keep up, no way. They where hiding everywhere in my tank - lots of live rock- I mean lots..! 280 gallon system 120 and a 90 with a huge 100 gallon sump (more than half full). Added (4) in the 120 main tank and (1) in 90, and 1 in the ole sump... Done deal 1000% they all - everyone of them of any size was gone completely! Like in zero left in 2 days maybe 3 days total. WILD CAUGHT is the secret..! I do believe that now as I saw it happen in my own tanks, and they where infested to the max... No names where I got these from.. But I will never ever get anything from them again.. jerks, man I was ticked off. 28+ year old tanks - never a crash or disease of any kind ever... 350 plus lbs true live rock like you can not get any more never again! But now I really love my new little buddies... I now have them all trained as well, I can pet them and they roll over.. :)

Wild Caught is the secret. I shopped EVERYWHERE messaging, calling, texting... Lots of my own homework done here on all remedies Aiptasia. I talked to about most of the facilities across the US that had them for sale.. Lot's of home work..! even more. Simple fix very easy, costly huh, not really. Just turned 28 year old "Solid" none stop reef system of 280 gallons. Saltwater Aquarium both call them and order some.. They got here extremely fast but where advertised as "Adult Size" and I did get two smaller ones. They will grow.. As for the BerghiasI am not a fan at all after doing all my home work. Getting eaten, never see much, starving, COST of, and the amount of time for clearing the tanks out (very slow movement). And the pastes and calk mixes, and the shocker tubes... ha ha. I wish you luck with that I am not and "I" could not ever get to any of the back side at all. Also to dip and clean your rocks are you kidding me???? To tear a tank down because of Aiptasia infestation is just total madness it's absolutely craziness, and having this plague not to go fishing you will be forever domed! Wild caught peppermint shrimp - Lysmata Wurdemanni ONLY!!, it worked out of this world fast and extremely very efficient! They are right to the the point, done deal babe. Easiest saltwater fix ever, now cyano good luck...reef snow is the way as well lol. Get some of these, do some homework if you like, then stop beating around the bush and get some asap they will take care of your problem and they are so super cool in the ole tanks..!
Good luck to all fellow reefers...

Update: 5 months now. I have Never seen another one since...! The Wild Caught - Lysmata Wurdemanni, where very shy at first I took a 2ft-8inch a half chunk of hard tubing airline, heated it and bent a 3 inch piece over at just a little less than 90 degrees, and added a handle on the other end. Then I shove the end into crustation food like Hikari Crab Cuisine. Dunk it straight down in the tank and the food go's right straight to the surface (up the tube to the water line). In about 10 seconds it gets water logged and slowly drops down to the end of the tube and into the tank. I can control where any type of pellet's are placed to the tee. Food control and spot feeding about anything! I can drop food in and around the rock work where needed. I put a syringe on the end via rubber fitting I made and I can spot feed flowers, zoa's, SPS, LPS, and Acros about anything I want to so easy. Way, way better than any syringe's, and bulb type turkey basters. AND MY HANDS NEVER GET WET AND REMAIN DRY ALWAYS... and with near zero waste!! **Warning all my crabs and all my shrimp's, do follow just the tube end, like they are hanging on to it for dear life... lol Try this... ***One Fantastic TIP HERE*** I really hope this will help ALL that are having this problem..!! And Happy Reefing to all.. !!!!!!!!!

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used it for aiptasia but I have used a torch to burn down some very stubborn algae.

My method was taking the rock out of the aquarium, drying the area off with paper towels and then burning it with the torch. After that a good scrape to remove some of the char and a rinse with aquarium water. Worked like a charm.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used it for aiptasia but I have used a torch to burn down some very stubborn algae.

My method was taking the rock out of the aquarium, drying the area off with paper towels and then burning it with the torch. After that a good scrape to remove some of the char and a rinse with aquarium water. Worked like a charm.
LOL... If it works lol. I can not nor ever will try to remove any or all rock. No way! Way to much rock at some is epoxied. Most of it is set on fiberglass rods. I have way to much rock my rock has been banned years ago. It is not painted, or wrapped in news paper rock either. All individually bagged in live sea water all free of pests. 27 years ago the freight was unreal even back when everything was cheaper (right). I have been 100 percent Aiptasia free now for months. All though, right now I am in my 9th day of a Reef Flux dosing I believe it was from the same vender. I am not ever going to use them again... no names as of yet! I never would use anything like Reef Flux ever, but I had one of the worst GHA out breaks you can imagine. Jumped my CUC huge most all starve out when it's all gone I am sure..! 280gallons with Hanna's PO at 0.02 and NO at 0.11 I am ok there as of right now. And with the die-off it's not raising as of yet anyhow.. lol Good luck "Torch Man" and happy reefing, Don't burn your fingers!!! :) :)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the torch thing many years back, and it does indeed smell incredibly bad.

If you're willing to remove the rock to kill the aiptasia, there's an ice alternative to fire. Cleaning/janitorial suppliers carry an aerosol can spray product used to freeze bubble gum solid when it is stuck on a carpet - it makes it easy to remove the gum with a scraper. Sorry I can't be more specific with a brand name...

coolhandcub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the torch thing many years back, and it does indeed smell incredibly bad.

If you're willing to remove the rock to kill the aiptasia, there's an ice alternative to fire. Cleaning/janitorial suppliers carry an aerosol can spray product used to freeze bubble gum solid when it is stuck on a carpet - it makes it easy to remove the gum with a scraper. Sorry I can't be more specific with a brand name...
Holding a can of computer duster, upside down, will cause that same freezing effect.

Mohammed 6701

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just take the rock out and dry it for 5- 7 days and then put it back in the tank. It's much simpler and less messy than using a butane torch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back