Aiptasia solution question

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw some pointy purple tentacles poking out from behind a zoa frag that I rather like. This is no good. They definitely look, from what I can see, like aiptasia. Here's the issue: I cannot readily see nor access the main body of the aiptasia, so most point solutions are out of the question. Crafty ******* hid itself in a very smart spot, I'll give it that. I'm also very irritated that it exists at all, and surprised at how large it is. That all said, I'm going to be going with a natural solution. I'm leaning towards berghia nudis because I know they're reef safe and aren't as fickle as peppermint shrimp. Not only that, but I have a cleaner and pistol shrimp already in a 65 gallon system, so I'm assuming adding a peppermint might be a little crowding for them? Basically I'm looking for feedback, is my logic and plan sound, or should I be looking more towards a peppermint shrimp rather than nudis?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I always recommend syringe as it reaches into many spots and tight spaces
Worse case, you may have to move the rock
Lemon juice or kalkwasser mixed into a paste has worked for me several times

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now keep a file fish in my large aquarium. Aside from being hands down the ugliest and most unique sea creature he is extremely diligent at taking care of the aptasia. Berghia nudibranches are good also although I would not mix them with peppermint shrimp. I have seen the shrimp eat them instead of the aptasia.

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend syringe as it reaches into many spots and tight spaces
Worse case, you may have to move the rock
Lemon juice or kalkwasser mixed into a paste has worked for me several times
I can't move the rock currently because my pistol shrimp has an established burrow under it and i'd be concerned about a collapse or hurting it. I can only see the tips of the tentacles from the front. I might be able to see it from the top if i'm careful and turn off all pumps. Have you ever used aiptasia x? I hear good things about it. Seems that they don't retreat when you use it and it keeps them from spreading?

OP
OP
T

TDDredge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now keep a file fish in my large aquarium. Aside from being hands down the ugliest and most unique sea creature he is extremely diligent at taking care of the aptasia. Berghia nudibranches are good also although I would not mix them with peppermint shrimp. I have seen the shrimp eat them instead of the aptasia.
My aquarium is only 65 gallons total. No peppermint shrimp currently, does it seem reasonable to try adding one with a cleaner and pistol already in the tank? I also periodically hear about them attacking zoas, which is what i'm currently trying to save. Similar for filefish, I hear they can sometimes be a problem in other ways.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can't move the rock currently because my pistol shrimp has an established burrow under it and i'd be concerned about a collapse or hurting it. I can only see the tips of the tentacles from the front. I might be able to see it from the top if i'm careful and turn off all pumps. Have you ever used aiptasia x? I hear good things about it. Seems that they don't retreat when you use it and it keeps them from spreading?
I have an it was less effective than use of kalkwasser

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of space for a file fish. As to nipping, he might. As with most everything else in this sport it can be hit or miss. It all depends on the individual personality of the creature. Mine BTW has left all my corals alone. He is also tiny though, about 1.5 inches.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a filefish, has done great for me in tank full of corals. Otherwise use F Aiptasia ( not aiptasia X which actually never works)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scare it into its hole and smother it with superglue. Monitor and see if it pops back out, repeat if necessary.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back