Aiptasia

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no matter the size superglue will rid of them :) never to be seen again.

Oh and they absolutely hate hot water temps ;)

What do you do when you have 1500 of them? Almost literally...

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would we doom an animal for our own gain?
These guys are not that hard to rid of and can personally be done in under a week.
Unless you don't want to move rockwork ;)
Sorry not a fan of animals to solve a pest problem :)

berghia are the best solution for aiptasia, as it is their only food source. They will seek out and consume aiptasia, and have worked wonders on many tanks. Not sure why youre not a fan, but a proven solution is the one I go with. Im not trying to squirt super glue in every crevice of my rockwork and hope it works. also, not wanting to move rockwork isnt the difficulty, some of us CANT move our rocks. as they are built/cemented together.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm feeding at the opposite end of where the mother colony in the pic is.
I am too, now. It's a lost cause though these things are going to break the glass and kill me in my sleep.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I got off early and brought this topic up. On the iPad in front of my tank, while doing house chores of course lol

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
berghia are the best solution for aiptasia, as it is their only food source. They will seek out and consume aiptasia, and have worked wonders on many tanks. Not sure why youre not a fan, but a proven solution is the one I go with. Im not trying to squirt super glue in every crevice of my rockwork and hope it works. also, not wanting to move rockwork isnt the difficulty, some of us CANT move our rocks. as they are built/cemented together.

I bought a few of these in the past and they did nothing.

I would need probably 30 LOL

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends.Ive no idea what is this creature is it good or bad?

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had an idea, Would the suction on a shop vac be good enough to pull these off? Was vacuuming while ago and got to thinking.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any little bit left behind regrows so you're just going to have them come back. I live near Salty Underground and just got 7 Bergia for my massive infestation. It's going to take months but they'll breed, make more, and more will eat the Aiptasia until they're all gone. After that, you can either try and catch them and pass them on to someone else or they'll just die off in your tank.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this was brought up, but have you tried a Copperband Butterfly? I had an outbreak, tried all the "juices" and couldn't reach spots to apply the superglue method. I ended up finding a CBB that was eating frozen at the LFS. Put it in QT and it continued to eat during that time. So in the display it went. It did take it about three weeks to discover it's appetite for the Aiptasia; but I haven't seen another Aiptasia in months. I've been lucky the CBB hasn't developed an appetite for corals....yet!!!

Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this was brought up, but have you tried a Copperband Butterfly? I had an outbreak, tried all the "juices" and couldn't reach spots to apply the superglue method. I ended up finding a CBB that was eating frozen at the LFS. Put it in QT and it continued to eat during that time. So in the display it went. It did take it about three weeks to discover it's appetite for the Aiptasia; but I haven't seen another Aiptasia in months. I've been lucky the CBB hasn't developed an appetite for corals....yet!!!

Just a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.
Not yet. I'm trying to work on some water parameters before anymore fish (can't believe I'm saying this lol). Those are on my short list and don't mind how they look and my wife likes the butterfly name. Nudibranches are also a possibility, as I know someone else with the same issue just not as bad.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I soak or dip the rock in rodi water or vinegar? Just trying to make sure I haven't left any ways on the table before I declare war again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back