Airstone Skimmer Issues

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a Reef Glass nano skimmer that utilizes a limewood airstone. It actually pulls out some incredible gunk......when it works.

Here's my issue and I am running out of ideas. The skimmer will bubble fine for awhile, then you'll see all the bubble stop, a second or so later a huge surge of bubbles rush out, pouring from the bottom of the skimmer out and shooting the bubbles up, then it will settle and skim great for a bit again.

I've adjusted the height numerous times, trying to find it's happy spot
I replaced the airstone
I replaced all the tubing
Shortened the drain tube
Removed the intake valve and using an adjustable airpump to control flow
Removed the drain tube entirely, STILL DID IT

I thought maybe the exit/return tube was getting clogged. Without a way for the air to escape, bubbles wouldn't be formed until enough pressure built up and it got pushed through. That's been the theory I've been trying on this, but removing the drain tube entirely and still seeing it kind of nixes that.

Anyone else ever run into this? I really don't want to go to a needle wheel, it needs more room than I have available. I'd go skimmer-less before I went that route. Since the bubble column never really stays formed it's not working very effectively. As well as you can hear the bubble release periodically as they rise to the surface, so it's kind of annoying when you work from home and it's right by you.

Thoughts? As always, appreciate any info

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that the airstone is too deep (creating too much back pressure) for your air pump to maintain a constant air stream strong enough to keep water out. This would allow a little bit of water to seep into the air line (which I am assuming has a U bend in it) until enough accumulated to block off the air flow. This would stop the bubbles until the pump built up enough pressure to push the water up clearing the air line. You could try installing an airline check valve right before the airstone to keep water from entering the airline.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing to my pump is longer than it needs to be too, I may try moving the pump closer as well. Good thought, thanks!

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorter tube, added check valve (may need a better one, this one is kinda cheap) and increased the flow from the pump, while restricting how much entered via valve. The column of bubbles still "bounces" a little but the bubbles no longer cease. Pulling out way more already, great suggestion. Thank you!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorter tube, added check valve (may need a better one, this one is kinda cheap) and increased the flow from the pump, while restricting how much entered via valve. The column of bubbles still "bounces" a little but the bubbles no longer cease. Pulling out way more already, great suggestion. Thank you!
sorry to hijack. How do you like the reef glass skimmer? especially compared to another nano skimmer if you had experiences before.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hijack. How do you like the reef glass skimmer? especially compared to another nano skimmer if you had experiences before.
I really like it when it's working lol I think a lot of this is learning curve, I've never had an airstone skimmer before. External pump, internal, HOB, but no Airstone. It pulls out a lot of gunk, thick nasty stuff. Make sure to add a check valve on the main air line. I also recommend buying a variable pump so you can adjust flow both there for pressure, and at the valve at the top for intake flow.

I've had the Innovative Marine one, several others over the years. This one, despite my issues, is still pulling the most out I've had as far as nano's go. I was honestly quite surprised. The only one that also did really well I can recall was the Tunze, but I don't have the space for that one unfortunately.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it when it's working lol I think a lot of this is learning curve, I've never had an airstone skimmer before. External pump, internal, HOB, but no Airstone. It pulls out a lot of gunk, thick nasty stuff. Make sure to add a check valve on the main air line. I also recommend buying a variable pump so you can adjust flow both there for pressure, and at the valve at the top for intake flow.

I've had the Innovative Marine one, several others over the years. This one, despite my issues, is still pulling the most out I've had as far as nano's go. I was honestly quite surprised. The only one that also did really well I can recall was the Tunze, but I don't have the space for that one unfortunately.
Thanks! appreciate your feedback

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the same bouncing with the surge of bubbles from the bottom. If i take the check valve out and reset it, seems to do a little better. I have the check just before the main valve, I might have to try and put it closer to the airstone

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the check valve seemed to help for a bit, but I'm not sure that it's actually resolved. I'm back to having that surge of bubbles after almost completely losing all air flowing through the airstone again. Any other thoughts? I have an adjustable air pump, do I need more pressure from that? It's pretty low right now.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the check valve seemed to help for a bit, but I'm not sure that it's actually resolved. I'm back to having that surge of bubbles after almost completely losing all air flowing through the airstone again. Any other thoughts? I have an adjustable air pump, do I need more pressure from that? It's pretty low right now.
Turned up the pump to max, think it was too much. No bubbles really at full pressure. Reduced it and got the column back but I expect it'll start acting up again after awhile.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?!:thinking-face: You have no bubbles at max pressure but you do have bubbles at less pressure? Are you actually able to measure the pressure via a pressure gage or are you just relying on an adjustment knob? Is the check valve installed in the right direction? What air pump are you using? Can you post pictures of this set up?

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right?? I thought that weird too lol

www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS1DCG6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

That's the air pump and check valve I have on, I've confirmed a number of times the valve is facing the right way. It seems sometimes it's not very "quick" in the shutting and maybe that is why it's still doing this?

If I crank the dial on the pump all the way up, it's almost like it gets clogged with pressure and won't release, it's odd. I've checked a number of times on the dial too to make sure I'm not backwards. Unless it's labeled backwards, but the pressure does seem to increase correctly when I dial.

I have a 3" airstone on it now, it came with a 2", I thought maybe a bigger stone would help with more bubbles, less chance of it "chugging", same thing though.

I'll try to get pics later tonight or tomorrow, I have about 5hrs of driving to do to grab a few things and am still working lol Good times.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain tube was clogged, feed airline inside skimmer to airstone was also slightly loose. Corrected those, scraped the airstone a bit for any gunk, put it back together and much better so far. Going to look into adapting it to have accept a larger drainage tubing I think. It's using just the normal air tube, which it's pulling out so much it's actually clogging it. Good problem I guess? lol

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been going through similar issues and I think the problem is the drain clogs and then not enough airflow. the drain hole through the top should be larger and wouldn't hurt to have larger drain tubing as well.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been going through similar issues and I think the problem is the drain clogs and then not enough airflow. the drain hole through the top should be larger and wouldn't hurt to have larger drain tubing as well.
I got 1/4" tubing to make a larger drain but I went to change airstone and the new one simply doesn't work. Waiting on a new order so I can try that out and see if that helps. Also ordered longer airstones, slightly narrower to let more water flow around it, other ones were crammed in there. Hope that helps a little too.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones clog with algae after a very short time. This is the reason most skimmers have gone with a needle impeller.

When you start seeing your bubbles slowing down, remove and scrub the bejessus out of it with a good hard bristle brush. Also, keep several replacement stones on hand.

Here is my perspective on air pumps and air driven equipment. Air pumps fail. The diaphragms deteriorate over time and will need replacement. Air pumps are loud. As you are experiencing, the whole setup is inherently flawed. The stones clog, the pumps fail, and in a worst-case scenario, they can actually siphon water out of the tank causing either a flood or fire. There are several horror stories I am aware of that people have lost their entire home to a failed air pump.

For this reason I will never have an air pump on any tank I own ever again.

I would suggest that you look into a skimmer that uses a needle impeller and venturi flow and toss those air pumps in the trash.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried needle wheels but given the AIO design I suffered microbubbles excessively. Airstone is not my first choice by any means, but the tiny footprint allows me to run a second media tower in which I can add additional filtration based on needs. I've been eyeing up the IceCap Nano and a few others to replace that media tower once I can reduce the filtration needs (newer tank still). I have the IM one but after months it still was throwing microbubbles I couldn't get to stop. Might let it run in changed water for awhile and see if it gets any better. Not holding my breath.

Thankfully I work from home and my tank is literally next to me, which is nice in case of any equipment failures. I also have a check valve on the airline to prevent any siphon or back feed, tried to think of failure scenarios.

Couple weeks I'll likely look more seriously at nano options. Got about 3" x 4" footprint to work with I believe, not much.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried needle wheels but given the AIO design I suffered microbubbles excessively. Airstone is not my first choice by any means, but the tiny footprint allows me to run a second media tower in which I can add additional filtration based on needs. I've been eyeing up the IceCap Nano and a few others to replace that media tower once I can reduce the filtration needs (newer tank still). I have the IM one but after months it still was throwing microbubbles I couldn't get to stop. Might let it run in changed water for awhile and see if it gets any better. Not holding my breath.

Thankfully I work from home and my tank is literally next to me, which is nice in case of any equipment failures. I also have a check valve on the airline to prevent any siphon or back feed, tried to think of failure scenarios.

Couple weeks I'll likely look more seriously at nano options. Got about 3" x 4" footprint to work with I believe, not much.
Micro bubbles are going to be an issue for any HoB skimmer. I had a cheap one on my tank for a while and never could get rid of them entirely.

If you think about it, it kinda makes sense. The skimmer pulls water out, injects micro bubbles in and then it drains the overflow directly into the DT. The idea that some of the bubbles will not find a way into the tank is ridiculous.

Your issue however is different. I suppose it boils down to this: do you want to deal with micro bubbles, or clogged airstones?

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't tolerate microbubbles, so either I find one that doesn't do it, find a good air stone supplier so I stop getting duds, or I'll simply go without a skimmer. Small enough tank water changes would suffice if I really wanted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back