OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few days in and loving the roller mat. Seems like a may have installed it about 1.5-2" too high which explains the slight trickling sound. However, might be a benefit as from my reading they tend to gunk up quickly at first due to all the solids they are pulling out. The increased head pressure should work in my favor. Appears to be running fantastic and water is immaculately clear. It's actually kind of satisfying to hear the motor turn the roll every now and then knowing I don't have to change socks.

Finally added a float switch to my ATO set up, long over due. Need to also incorporate on my RO reservoir despite having double solenoids I don't want to leave it unattended for days at a time so I usually turn of the water in the week when I know its filled. My concern here is I hate the sound of running water and all my experience with float valves have created a trickling sound. Need to figure out a way to incorporate silently into my 29G.

ICP test came back and results seem to be as expected. Silicate seems sky high for some reason despite running 3 stage DI from BRS and reading <.05 TDS. Lanthanum is also moderatley high, I am intrigued by this as I used it readily while battling cyano removal but haven't in quite some time even with large water changes since. Overall, seems good on the test. I'm manually increased Mag above 1400 and am targeting 8 dKH for now. Will likely retest in 6-8 weeks after running AWC which is roughly the recommended 15% a week anyway.

P04 seems steady at 0.03 and NO4 ~1. My BTA still doesn't look fantastic so I may slowly increase this ratio in an attempt to add some nutrients to the water.

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reporting back on the Clarisea, the water of my tank has never been clearer and I absolutely love not changing socks. My initial instal was too high although this may have paid dividends for initial run as it scrubbed the water. This weekend I lowered in by ~2.5” to just above the keyhole to allow me to raise turnover without trickling noises. I’m now running my Varios on setting 3 with no noise however the Clarisea seems to be advancing much more quickly. Will see if it settles down. I decided to also change the return lines as they always bothered me. The random flow generators were cool but sucked in air if they were too close to the surface there was very little surface agitation. Also, rather redundant with 4x MP40. I replaced them with 3/4” flare nozzles as well as extended the pipe with more Loc-Line. This forces return water out far past the overflow box now. I’m not sure if this makes an actual impact but makes sense in my head (lol). With the new set up surface agitation is much better!
D4A3304F-C2A5-4AF3-9F44-B299B66978C0.jpeg

FCA4FC98-E0C1-46A1-850F-14135FA1DB34.jpeg

I also realized an epic fail this weekend. My Hanna reagents for PO4 were for the wrong test. I had no idea there were two options now. Which could explain the odd readings occasionally. With the new test I took two readings one at 46 (.14ppm) and the other at 0.Out of frustration with Hanna PO4 I ordered a new Red Sea kit. I hate the whole shake two minutes hold the button (if you forget the button you’re screwed) and fair chance you get a wacky number you have to retest...

My dose of Mg last week has remained stable ~1400 and I’m definitely seeing a few coraline spores pick up. Alk remains stable at 8.0 as well. I did cross verify with Salifert which reads 8.6. I think I’m going to run 3 of each and take the average for my assumptions. Still waiting on a chance to buy a Trident though :)

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some fun with a PAR meter this morning. Wanted to make sure I had a good understanding of my light settings before I return to the SPS game in a few weeks. My intention is to flow the WWC/Coral Labs guide quite closely as they appear at surface level to be great example of low maintenance yet highly successful setups. I will be mimicking the 12.5 hour photo period where my lights will spend 5 hours in WWC Morning / 5 Hours WWC Afternoon. While testing I did test AB+ if I decided I don't like the WWC Afternoon down the line (it's VERY blue). Here are the PAR Results based on 3x Radions mounted roughly 8" above surface level on RMS ( 9 3/4" apart). "Middle" represents top of my rock work which is roughly 14" deep for L2/M/R1 and 17" deep for L1/R2. Peak PAR values are centered under a light at 6" depth. All 3 lights have diffusers installed.

WWC Morning
Blues 100%, Red 10 %, Green 50%, Cool White 50%, Warm White 0%
Morning WWC.png

WWC Afternoon (All Blue in WXM)
Blues 100%, all other channels 0%
All Blue.png

Coral Lab AB+
Blues 100%, all other channels 24%
AB+.png

I've also adjusted my MP40s to match the Coral Lab recommendation. My entire time running Vortechs I have utilized anti-sync whereas CL recommends running constant with the opposing driver running reef crest. In the CL guide flow is matched between drivers at all times switching in 6 hour intervals with a substantial drop off in flow at night time. For now I've chosen to forgo the night time drop. With a pair of MP40s on the back and sides of the tank there should be a ton of variable flow. Back pumps and Side pump pairs are opposing with RC/Constant. Example, if "Side Left" is on RC mode then "Side Right" will be on Constant. Simultaneously, "Back Left" will be on Constant and "Back Right" on RC. My overall turn over assuming conservative Varios S8 performance thanks to the data from @Skep18 and current vortech settings is 75x. This technically exceeds the CL recommended 50-60x, I wanted to push the turnover with having a BB.
Turnover.png

Flow.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the PAR results and some deliberation on how I wanted to proceed... I made a 3AM order last Thursday for...
14383332-566D-44AD-AB57-01AB166A3A41.jpeg

Unfortunately, 2/3 came broken so install and PAR testing will be delayed

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 2/3 of the lights were broken due to packaging. Long, frustrating day with CS later Ecotech no help. Marine Depot did the right thing and are overnighting new units. Albeit, we missed the cutoff so it will be 2 days. Not very happy with Ecotech but moving forward... PAR tests probably delayed until next week :(

29C52F1E-9D1C-4B22-B06D-7D26FD73F190.jpeg
8C27CB1B-CE3E-404C-AAE7-D3053A364DAA.jpeg

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try and tackle the mess of electronics in my electronics closet today. Got most of the wires figured out now but struggling with all the power brick wiring. Think I’m going to source some 6-8” power cables to shorten the length where I can. Thought I had a decent before picture unfortunately I can’t find. Here’s where I’m at so far, not perfect but it’s something.
Before -
73B9B126-1B3F-41FD-878F-76C19C9BF846.jpeg

After -
FFC59001-B207-48C4-BF93-DB644387D881.jpeg

Have some Metasorb and Silicate clear to run before the next ICP test. Being obsessive and running ICPs is probably not the best idea o_O
Even with 12ml/daily of NeoPhos barely breaking .02ppm as well as dosing to 5ppm NO3. I’m seeing coraline pick up though so somethings changing!

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update -

Replacement Radions in and installed. RMS adapters were all missing end caps though. Come on Ecotech, what a botched launch from my perspective...

Facing the reality that my bioload is too light. I just can’t keep NO3/PO4 in my system. Figured instead of dosing so much of it let’s get some fish! Picked up a new QT tank to replace my old nasty dried out one at the Petco $1/gallon. Going a little “high tech” on this one with Apex integration for temp control :). In reality, I needed another 6 switch input so it works out well. Think I’m going to build a stand for it and keep it in the “fish closet” instead of the water closet. Now to decided what fish to add. Thinking some Anthias, maybe a fox face, and possibly some clown gobys.

And most importantly SPS frags should come in tomorrow! The reboot is real!

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update

First frags of the rebuild in! Running the Gen 5s at 50% currently so frag rack is about 240 PAR for acclimation.
D17C07D1-0ABA-4758-804B-F499AAF35B5D.jpeg

Trident arrived but at nearly 2000 so that’s a job for tomorrow. In the spirit of being obsessed ordered a SilicaBuster cartridge to tack on the end of my RODI system even though the recently updated BRS PRO system should be working down silicates. Also hoping to knock out the QT tank stand tomorrow. I’m thinking about making it sufficient enough for both a fish and coral QT tank

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well operation roll dice (reboot) in full effect. 20 sticks now in the tank! Water test sitting at; 8.1 dKH, 430 Ca, 1310 Mg, .02 PO4 with coral rack about 225-240 PAR.
641DACB5-8C77-47F3-AF96-4029A3A564A2.jpeg

Due to work schedule automation is a must. Got the Trident hooked up last night. Made a cheapo shelf for the fish closet so I don’t have to hear the noise :) Patiently waiting for the 48-72 hour break in for calibration.
F64B0E5D-987A-407B-9D95-195A4DE90EE1.jpeg

Wiring is still a little ugly and I really need to get some Vortech Mounts

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update today as I’m officially trying to be in “hands off mode” with the frags in. Trident appears to have dialed itself in over the past few days. I manually confirmed test results with Salifert/Hanna, not sure if I’ll be calibrating. I went ahead and turned on auto dosing. Since my consumption is so minimal that the AWC is pretty much taking care of its more of a safety net. Still need to feed the lines for PO4. 6ml/day seems to keep me at .01-.02 which I’m happy with. Pretty excited to test it out!

Planning on heading out of town for a few days so went ahead and changed my the Clarisea roll a little preemptively. Note to self - buy a stapler. Threading the roll taped together failed epically. I’m glad I plumbed in a union as it was much easier to rethread once removed from the system. Swabbie is running pretty well. I may have installed slightly off though as it misses 15% of the neck on one side.

Avast breakout box came in for my next round of projects; cabinet lights and potentially float valves for dosing containers.

It’s been a busy month or so finishing up the reboot. So far it appears to be well worth it

79AE0366-80B7-457B-8059-D34E0AD3D2BD.jpeg

05731EE4-5A2D-47DC-AFCD-9AAE540D0369.jpeg

Bonus helper picture :)
3E8990E4-6B1E-44A7-8D6D-7DC89AAABE06.jpeg

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to verify the RODI unit was not allowing Silica through. Purchased a Salifert test to check resulting in a 0.00 reading! Feels good to rule out the RODI. Went ahead and calibrated the testers with new 342 fluid too. Interestingly my COM100 rarely ever reads 0.00 rounding to 0.5 but I’m fairly confident that as long as it’s not 0.00 I’m good to go. Went out of town for a few days, found pH rose to a new high of 8.4!

Seeing much more coraline growth. Something that I’m not used to seeing which is great. Currently consuming ~26ml 2 part a day (.2dKH) and 6ml of NeoPhos. Tried dosing 2ml AcroPower a day for a few days. Polyps went nuts however seeing some small cyano pockets in the rocks. Suspending AcroPower for a few days to see if it goes away.

Last, but definitely not least. I’ve concluded that the Nyos 220 is just too oversized for my tank. Since my prior endeavor with Reef Octopus I did not enjoy. I ordered a Bubble King Double Cone 180. Hoping this is the answer! Debating on Aquadriver vs Swabbie.

AB293CCE-776E-4BF8-BB8C-1EF8373851EA.png

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still playing with the Gen5s to get good PAR data. With the new spread I found placing them closer to the rear of the tank was optimal for my rock work. Quick AB numbers: 55% 250-260 PAR on middle rock work / 180 on edge. Surprisingly PAR stays strong at around 200 on the bottom. 75% jumps to 320/240 which will be my target long term. Leaving frags at 55% until they adjust. Went ahead and placed a few of the larger frags today.

Working on getting NO3 up to 5ppm and maintaining my PO4 0.01-0.02. Have a BRS 1.1 m/l doser that I’m going to set up for Phosphate since 6ml/day seems to be working nicely.

The unfortunate quarantine environment has definitely allowed lots of tweaking/adjusting things. It’s just hard to keep my hands out of the tank. Although, for the first time ever my wife did get involved. Some freshly cleaned up dosing containers :)
534044CD-A39F-494F-A59F-83CCC89165B7.jpeg

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saga to bring up nutrients continues. I’ve completed the recommended 6x/15% WCs (via AWC) from my ICP. Now that’s compete, I’ve been dumping 18ml/day of NeoPhos the last few days should be enough for .03ppm daily but keep reading 0-1ppb. I have successfully got nitrates up to 3-5 PPM. But my Acros aren’t looking super happy which I’m thinking is lack of nutrients. Going to be persistent about trying to get .02+ ppm for P04

In theme of keeping busy I completely washed out my mixing tank and was surprised how grimy is was considering I was using Red Sea blue bucket. After a full clean I went ahead and switched over to Tropic Marin Pro and man does it mix quickly!
75CF8ADE-E9B5-463E-BEBE-68D9E9B7573D.jpeg

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to try and tackle the mess of electronics in my electronics closet today. Got most of the wires figured out now but struggling with all the power brick wiring. Think I’m going to source some 6-8” power cables to shorten the length where I can. Thought I had a decent before picture unfortunately I can’t find. Here’s where I’m at so far, not perfect but it’s something.
Before -
73B9B126-1B3F-41FD-878F-76C19C9BF846.jpeg

After -
FFC59001-B207-48C4-BF93-DB644387D881.jpeg

Have some Metasorb and Silicate clear to run before the next ICP test. Being obsessive and running ICPs is probably not the best idea o_O
Even with 12ml/daily of NeoPhos barely breaking .02ppm as well as dosing to 5ppm NO3. I’m seeing coraline pick up though so somethings changing!

New to all of this and it seems like you guys know what you’re doing! I loved reading all of the updates on your tank and knowing that even though you’ve been struggling with this tank that you’re not giving up! I was wondering if you have all your dosing/water change equipment in one closet or if it’s in different areas?
Trying to figure out how I want to start my setup. I’ve done a lot of research and really like the BRS team and all their help

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to all of this and it seems like you guys know what you’re doing! I loved reading all of the updates on your tank and knowing that even though you’ve been struggling with this tank that you’re not giving up! I was wondering if you have all your dosing/water change equipment in one closet or if it’s in different areas?
Trying to figure out how I want to start my setup. I’ve done a lot of research and really like the BRS team and all their help
Thank you! It’s definitely been a tough road with this tank. Admittedly, I kinda left it to do its thing for big period because I was so frustrated. My wife kicked me in the rear this reboot as she knows my passion and wants to display it in the living room :) I do think root causes for my big issues were rushing combined with changing too many variables (tad too obsessive). My dad seems to have better success on things I’ve set up for him because he tends to let it do it’s thing... ha

When I purchased my home I knew a fish tank would be an inevitably. I’m fortunate to have two different closets behind my tank. One is a “linen” closet and the other belongs to a guest bedroom. It’s not ideal in that I’d prefer a true fish room. But it’s definitely convenient. Getting electronics out from under the tank is must in my opinion as salt/humidity/water is a no go. Plus, I was able to hide some louder equipment in that room. Then the separate mixing closet is nice because it’s a clean space to work over tiles and it’s climate controlled so no crazy Florida heat. That said I’ve had several successful tanks with everything contained in the stand.
A8871ECF-B7B7-4EA9-91D2-D42C0EBAB3B5.jpeg

Welcome to the hobby, it’s a fun challenge for sure! 19 years from my first fish and I’m still hooked. BRS is also very trust worthy, I use them as well. Feel free to reach out for any questions always happy to chat :)

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s definitely been a tough road with this tank. Admittedly, I kinda left it to do its thing for big period because I was so frustrated. My wife kicked me in the rear this reboot as she knows my passion and wants to display it in the living room :) I do think root causes for my big issues were rushing combined with changing too many variables (tad too obsessive). My dad seems to have better success on things I’ve set up for him because he tends to let it do it’s thing... ha

When I purchased my home I knew a fish tank would be an inevitably. I’m fortunate to have two different closets behind my tank. One is a “linen” closet and the other belongs to a guest bedroom. It’s not ideal in that I’d prefer a true fish room. But it’s definitely convenient. Getting electronics out from under the tank is must in my opinion as salt/humidity/water is a no go. Plus, I was able to hide some louder equipment in that room. Then the separate mixing closet is nice because it’s a clean space to work over tiles and it’s climate controlled so no crazy Florida heat. That said I’ve had several successful tanks with everything contained in the stand.
A8871ECF-B7B7-4EA9-91D2-D42C0EBAB3B5.jpeg

Welcome to the hobby, it’s a fun challenge for sure! 19 years from my first fish and I’m still hooked. BRS is also very trust worthy, I use them as well. Feel free to reach out for any questions always happy to chat :)

Thanks! I’ll take all the advice I can get! I’m trying to decide if I want to just bite the bullet on price and get an AIO and plumb it with a sump like the Red Sea max e series or if I want to do a reef ready with sump. And BRS definitely says to be patient with it especially when you first get into it even though you want things to happen right away. I’m pretty patient but I feel like if I can just get past the cycle phase and where I have growth on the rocks (which may be a little difficult) I’ll be fine. My biggest worry is getting dinos. Cyano can be tricky but easier to deal with than dinos. I’m in an apartment right now on the 3rd floor so I can’t really have the tank I want right now

OP
OP
AJsReef

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll take all the advice I can get! I’m trying to decide if I want to just bite the bullet on price and get an AIO and plumb it with a sump like the Red Sea max e series or if I want to do a reef ready with sump. And BRS definitely says to be patient with it especially when you first get into it even though you want things to happen right away. I’m pretty patient but I feel like if I can just get past the cycle phase and where I have growth on the rocks (which may be a little difficult) I’ll be fine. My biggest worry is getting dinos. Cyano can be tricky but easier to deal with than dinos. I’m in an apartment right now on the 3rd floor so I can’t really have the tank I want right now
Having had tanks in apartments I wouldn’t personally have one bigger than 30ish gallons. Moving anything larger than that is a real chore. It also lets you get your feet wet for a fraction of the cost. Look into some of the smaller Red Sea systems they make for awesome builds!

Tyler Young

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had tanks in apartments I wouldn’t personally have one bigger than 30ish gallons. Moving anything larger than that is a real chore. It also lets you get your feet wet for a fraction of the cost. Look into some of the smaller Red Sea systems they make for awesome builds!

That was my big concern. And I like the Red Sea systems. I was thinking about doing that because with the AIO systems I don’t have to worry about getting the right things or forgetting to get something. All I would have to get is a heater and power heads

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back