Alemoki's Long 120G Build Thread

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting this thread to keep track of the build for a future setup I plan on doing. Let's hope it doesn't die a horrible death....

Basically I got a 5ft tank with stand a while back which wasn't in the greatest shape, but had big potential. Bought it originally for a discus setup but I then moved over to marine. It then sat for a few months in the garage until one day I decided to tear it apart and reseal and brace it again. The previous bracing was terrible but unfortunately don't have pics to show how messy the job was.

I then set to work making the stand much sturdier with corner bracing and adding adjustable feet onto it.

It has now been sitting until now as such. Picked up an old skimmer body for dirt cheap and bought a new Hailea HX-6530 for it. Going to mod the impeller for it and this will run externally. And I have an old cube tank which will be used as the sump.

For now I only have this one picture of the tank and the skimmer as it sits now. Ultimately I want a nice FOWLR with some anthias and some bigger fish.

I have heaters and a return pump already bought and brand new, the only issue is finding the right spot for the setup. Once that is done I can hopefully persuade the parents to let me start it.

Here is what I have so far picture wise
IMG_20190331_165240.jpg

IMG_20190405_180903.jpg

Hopefully I have something to update this thread with in the near future!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up very nicely...congrats. Looks like it's set up as a peninsula and I'm a sucker for those. Signing up to follow along.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks nice. Following >>>

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up very nicely...congrats. Looks like it's set up as a peninsula and I'm a sucker for those. Signing up to follow along.
Thank you!

I did a cube as my first setup and loved the shape, but been keen for a peninsula now. Creates its own problems though of course

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, I've been trying to get the skimmer mod done, but my mates 3D printer needed calibration. Calibration is now complete so hopefully will get the needle wheel soon.

Will update with pics when it arrives.

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time

Not much has happened, however I test ran the skimmer and it seemed to work fine without the mod so that's done and ready to go.

Have also just started building a sump for the setup. Had an old tank lying around which I have stripped and will be cutting up and resiliconing together for the next week.

Managed to destroy my fingers in the process of dismantling :confused: glass is sharp people!!
IMG_20190705_124922.jpg

DIY controllable lights are well underway and hopefully will be completed by year end!

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the revamped sump. Dividers will be done once I've decided how exactly I want my sump laid out.
IMG_20190721_122126.jpg

Otherwise nothing to post unfortunately.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%

Back