OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some Teckin smart plugs that seem great so far. I don't have a controller, so instead of having to crawl under my table every time I want to turn off my skimmer/pumps, I just tell Alexa to turn them off, or use the app. It's AMAZING!

I also set a schedule for them to automatically turn on every few hours, so if I ever turn them off and forget about them, they'll automatically kick back on.

If they lose power, they come back on in the same state they were in, so if they were on, they come back on.

So far so good! I got four for less than $40. Money well spent.
There's definitely something to be said for smart outlets like that. I've had a few different brands of smart plugs and with disconnect issues, problems reverting to default state after failures, and random quirkiness, I won't trust them to things like my skimmer or most pumps. Anything that could potentially flood my house, start a fire, kill my tank, and that I can't have multiple fail safes or redundancies on I try to keep locked down. I love smart outlets for things like in stand lighting, some LED accent strips, fish room fans, and for some of the outlets I use for maintenance.

That's not to discourage you from continuing to automate things, just wanted to share my level of caution with things like this. Thinking of the worst ways software and hardware can fail then testing for them is my job so I may go a bit overboard, but better safe than sorry I figure.

I have my house loaded over a dozen of the SMART Wifi Outlets (ordered more this week). But I agree with @IgnatiusRath. Only for NON-CRITICAL THINGS.
You should test them for all conditions. Like what happens after power failure. What happens when Wifi Doesn't work. How does the scheduler work when it can't get it's TIME from an NTP source on Internet.
So they are great for my sink light, desk light, Sump Accent Light, even my Algae Scrubber light. I also use one to set a timer when I fill my bucket of water, so I can walk away.
But no way I would use one for main lighting on Tank, or any pump that could damage my tank or house.
AND MOST IMPORTANT is you need to know how automation works or breaks down, when you are away from home, like at work, or longer on vacation far away. (That is usually when things go wrong)

Last edited:

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my house loaded over a dozen of the SMART Wifi Outlets (ordered more this week). But I agree with @IgnatiusRath. Only for NON-CRITICAL THINGS.
You should test them for all conditions. Like what happens after power failure. What happens when Wifi Doesn't work. How does the scheduler work when it can't get it's TIME from an NTP source on Internet.
So they are great for my sink light, desk light, Sump Accent Light, even my Algae Scrubber light. I also use one to set a timer when I fill my bucket of water, so I can walk away.
But no way I would use one for main lighting on Tank, or any pump that could damage my tank or house.
AND MOST IMPORTANT is you need to know how automation works or breaks down, when you are away from home, like at work, or longer on vacation far away. (That is usually when things go wrong)
I actually have notifications set up now that will notify me if they shut off. That should help prevent any serious issues. And I don't have an overflow, or sump, so no worries about flooding anything. Worst case scenario would be the filters and pumps shutting off for a long time, and the beneficial bacteria dying/oxygen depleting.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have notifications set up now that will notify me if they shut off. That should help prevent any serious issues. And I don't have an overflow, or sump, so no worries about flooding anything. Worst case scenario would be the filters and pumps shutting off for a long time, and the beneficial bacteria dying/oxygen depleting.
How do you get notifications? From Smart Home (running the Teckin Plugs)? or something else. I assume nothing works if your Router Loses power, or wifi Doesn't work in house.
If you don't have any critical stuff Wifi Plugs are Best Deal in Town. I still trust my Apex way more, since I can do logic, and reliable actions.
And the Last thing I would trust is Alexa responding quickly, if my life were to depend on turning off a plug.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score on the free thermostat! What was your reason for choosing the Sonoff 4ch in particular? I'm curious if there were other options you considered and why that was what you went with.

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, you set the logic within your Apex for normal state, power outage, etc? Or the Sonoff allows you to program defaults or apply limitation to the logic internally?

Regarding the RF buttons and remote a few questions. Do you have protection somewhere for repeated button presses and/or stuck buttons? Once paired is the RF channel closed to devices except for the paired RF button: (thinking about neighbors garage door opener or something else causing a false signal) ?

And finally, with your routines, do you have them setup to time out or return to default state after set conditions, or a limitation on the number of times per day they can be called?

One of my guiding lights throughout any automation with my tank or home is what bad things can my girlfriend, niece, ignorant friends, family, etc cause by using this without understanding. For example, I could see my girlfriend saying "Movie Time" in the afternoon, falling asleep, then running out of the house late for something and leaving my tank lights dimmed or off all day unless I had a check or time limit.

I know I'd love as much detail as you have time or interest in sharing.

OK. This is a complex answer, but I'll try to keep it to the point, for further questions. (will provide examples and wiring if needed on next post)

1) Yes, I set things up, so that IF A POWER FAILURE HAPPENS (partially, or full house reset) (things work normal)
So in the CASE of the SONOFF Relay Box, it will default to my wiring (DEFAULT on or Off). Which would mean in one example. My circulation go into normal, NOT Feed mode.
You really have to think about that to ensure things default correctly.
(One example of POWER RESET going wrong..... is I have Philip Hue lights, and Duhhh, when a power failure happens, they all go to Full bright ON (when power comes on). Why they did that I have no idea...maybe so people don't hurt themselves with light defaulting to all off)

2) Why the SONOFF? HARDWARE relay (inside) is they Key.
You can get many Light Modules out there, but some are Transitor types that will turn on an AC light. Transistor won't work to simulate a button on the Apex IO input.
EG. This will work on an AC light, but not a Apex Switch simulation.
https://www.amazon.ca/HEANTTV-Switc...541540022&sr=8-1&keywords=sonoff+smart+switch

I did consider stuff like these relay/RFF modules, but they don't have APP, and don't work with Alexa.
https://www.amazon.ca/INSMA-Wireles...pID=41OWB0tVrTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
(plus who you going to call when they don't work)
SONOFF is a DIY / Developer company. With Support and Forums.
You can actually replace the Firmware and do funky stuff.

3) As far as RF button and OOPS & conflict security.
The key thing here is PAIRING, and the millions of security codes that can be assigned to a button.
They is no way you and your neighbour will have the same code.
I actually had some issues to find CODERS that work with Sonoff (during Lean mode/pairing). Some have rolling codes, and they won't work.
These RF Doggles worked best.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076DZPX33/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You have to start with a CODE from Somewhere since you can't make one up. So I started with the Random codes that came with this pair of dongles.
1/2/3/4 on dongle RED, and 1/2/3/4 on Dongle BLACK were different. But each is a learning dongle, so you can copy codes from 1/Red to 1/Black.
Then the Sonoff pairing per RELAY will learn any button you assign to it.
-> End state is (RF key is the Source Code. Wall Button Learns that code. Sonoff learn same code....So any push of RF,Wall Button, Sonoff, Alexa, or APP can do same action)

4) ROUTINES and Default State
Currently setting to Default (or CURRENT STATE) is tricky, or in the case of CURRENT STATE impossible at this pont.
In the Routine I have (to call my kids down from Dinner), I turn their DESK LAMP (ON/OFF twice). But I can't make it END at whatever the desk light was before the command.
What I mean is (if my daughter is doing homework with light on) at the end of the Routine it will (ALLWAY end as OFF).

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4) ROUTINES and Default State
Currently setting to Default (or CURRENT STATE) is tricky, or in the case of CURRENT STATE impossible at this pont.
In the Routine I have (to call my kids down from Dinner), I turn their DESK LAMP (ON/OFF twice). But I can't make it END at whatever the desk light was before the command.
What I mean is (if my daughter is doing homework with light on) at the end of the Routine it will (ALLWAY end as OFF).

I'm sure I'll have more questions and comments and I digest and dig into all of this, but I was really hoping you had found a good way to do this. I've held off on some of the routines and triggers I want because I hadn't seen a way return to the state I wanted properly.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I'll have more questions and comments and I digest and dig into all of this, but I was really hoping you had found a good way to do this. I've held off on some of the routines and triggers I want because I hadn't seen a way return to the state I wanted properly.
Well the CURRENT State is known to SMART LIFE App since when I fire up the APP, it polls the Smart Switch and shows that is it ON of OFF.
The problem is Alex Routines have no IF condition. Alexa Routine just blast away what to do (end state)

I think the solution might be IFTTT, but then that means adding another layer of integration (more systems, more delay, more hickups). But it may work. (if there is a check logic ie. Loop till you get what you want)
So much to do to get everything to work together in Harmony.

You have to take baby steps, and individually get stuff working. Then bring it together in Layers.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back