Alexa - Feed the fish | $90 Solution for a super smart auto feeder

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I would like to present to you my $90 solution for a "smart fish feeder" that makes it possible to:

- say "Alexa, feed the fish" - Will also work with "Hey Google" or Siri. Whichever smart home system you have is compatible
- Set automatic feeding schedules, up to unlimited times per day, every other day, once a week, whatever - Any feeding time/day combination you can imagine. Twice on Wednesdays, not at all Thursday and once on Friday... Anything is possible
- Use my phone to set these schedules
- Use my phone to feed the fish with the push of a button from anywhere in the world - as long as I have an internet connection
- Set it to only feed the fish when I want it to be fed by manually pushing the button on my phone. Automatic feeding times not mandatory. Maybe you don't want the auto feeder to feed everyday, but today you got tied up at work/school/dinner and want to remotely, manually feed your fish with your phone

What you are going to need:

- A 2.4ghz home wifi signal - Will NOT work with 5ghz

- This automatic fish feeder. Don't worry about configuring the feeder or anything, just plug it into a power source and put it on your tank. Don't need to fumble with the clumbsy feeding schedules on the feeder itself.
8N5MZoQ.jpg

- This "SwitchBot - Smart Button Pusher"
iIBHRKd.jpg

- The "SwitchBot Mini Hub" - This is what allows the device to be controlled with smart home services like Google or Alexa, and to be controlled remotely with your phone. If you do not have this you can only control the SwitchBot button pusher while connected to bluetooth. I highly recommend the hub for full functionality.
45xXP1s.jpg

From here it's pretty simple. Install the "SwitchBot" app, make an account, connect the smart hub, connect the SwitchBot, link them together and use the included double sided sticky tape to attach the SwitchBot to the feeder, configure and enjoy!

To be controlled by Alexa, you need to install the "SwitchBot" skill in the Alexa app and create a scene in the app so when you say, " Alexa, Feed the fish" it triggers the switchbot to push the manual feed button on the autofeeder.

Anyway, Enjoy!

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool! I like it! Thanks for sharing!

Cesteban721

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great idea! Do you know if there is a virtual switch that can be connected to a smart home like the google home mini?

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people feed frozen also. So it's hard for us to ever get the joys of auto feeders :(.
This won't be the primary way of feeding my fish, I travel a LOT for work and my social life. I'm away from my tank probably 2 days a week every week, and for 4-5 days at least once a month. so I needed something reliable and easy to configure, that could also be controlled by my phone. The fact that it can be controlled by alexa is just icing on the cake.

On the 1-3 day stretches I'm away from i tank I'll just pull out the app and push the button on my phone to feed the fish without having to make a feeding schedule.

For the longer stretches that I'm away or if I'm not confident I'll have reliable internet, I'll use the app to make a feeding schedule.

When I'm home I feed frozen.

Between this, my inkbird temperature controller and my ato, I can confidently be away from my tank for 10-12 days with no one here to watch it for me.

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tell Her to feed my fish, she turns off all my pumps and then turns them back on in 20 minutes. All you need are wifi switches.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s awesome! I feed live and frozen but because I work 12 hour shifts they also get dry as well.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS AWESOME.....And I am going to set up an extra "smartbot button pusher" on my boyfriend so I can push his buttons even when I am not with him :) He is gonna LOVE it.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS AWESOME.....And I am going to set up an extra "smartbot button pusher" on my boyfriend so I can push his buttons even when I am not with him :) He is gonna LOVE it.

Just search amazon for " Auto Fish feeder ". Since I can't link amazon links here, I just used the exact image from the product page. There are two kinds, one that is USB powered and one that is battery, you need the one that is battery powered, the USB plug would get in the way of the switchbot.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, the Amazon link shows on mobile but not desktop for some reason. If you can't see it, I linked the Kasa Smart Strip. Highly recommend for Alexa automation. Currently on sale for $60.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, the Amazon link shows on mobile but not desktop for some reason. If you can't see it, I linked the Kasa Smart Strip. Highly recommend for Alexa automation. Currently on sale for $60.
I also use Kasa for 95% of my automation. I dont think that this button pusher works with that plug tho. I tried to find out for sure but I am almost positive the button pusher needs its own HUB to work. Probably propritary stuff with the app or something I am guessing.
oh and what OP said that you cant use the usb one because it would get in the way of the button. have to use the battery powered one SO the kasa wont work and you will need the hub for sure then :)

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as happy as I was with this solution, it checked all the boxes I wanted in a solution:

-Be able to feed my fish with the push of a button on my phone from anywhere in the world.
-Create an automatic feeding schedule easily and as customizable as possible
-Use Alexa to feed the fish

The only thing I wish I could add to this solution was some form of confirmation that the "SwitchBot" successfully activated and pushed the button and the fish were indeed fed.

I use Wyze cameras as security cameras at my house and I remember that they have a contact sensor that is used to alert you things like if a window is opened, or a door is opened or the mailbox door is opened.

So I actually had one of these sensors sitting in my drawer from a Wyze starter set I got, so I put it on my feeder, one side on the body and the other on the drum itself. With this, when the magnetic field is broken I get an alert on my phone saying that the feeding was successful!

These sensors can be found here, or on amazon

p52fNxr.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as happy as I was with this solution, it checked all the boxes I wanted in a solution:

-Be able to feed my fish with the push of a button on my phone from anywhere in the world.
-Create an automatic feeding schedule easily and as customizable as possible
-Use Alexa to feed the fish

The only thing I wish I could add to this solution was some form of confirmation that the "SwitchBot" successfully activated and pushed the button and the fish were indeed fed.

I use Wyze cameras as security cameras at my house and I remember that they have a contact sensor that is used to alert you things like if a window is opened, or a door is opened or the mailbox door is opened.

So I actually had one of these sensors sitting in my drawer from a Wyze starter set I got, so I put it on my feeder, one side on the body and the other on the drum itself. With this, when the magnetic field is broken I get an alert on my phone saying that the feeding was successful!

These sensors can be found here, or on amazon

p52fNxr.jpg
You are a genius.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are already some alexa enabled wifi fish feeders on Amazon for under $30 now. Like the Ilonda wifi feeder.

Or am I missing something... like a feature you need, that they don't do now?

I need a fish feeder for when I'm gone for a few days to a week at a time.... I was going to order an Ilonda, but then ran across this thread.... now I'm not sure which way to go.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are already some alexa enabled wifi fish feeders on Amazon for under $30 now. Like the Ilonda wifi feeder.

Or am I missing something... like a feature you need, that they don't do now?

I need a fish feeder for when I'm gone for a few days to a week at a time.... I was going to order an Ilonda, but then ran across this thread.... now I'm not sure which way to go.
It's my understanding, and based on my experience with the api smart Auto feeder that was also wifi capable, that you can only control the feeder via WiFi if your phone is also connected to the same wifi at the same time. That does you no good while you're traveling away from home. With my solution there is a hub that controls the switch bot that allows me to control the feeder from anywhere in the world. I think you'll find these wifi feeders to leave you unsatisfied.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back