Alexa - Feed the fish | $90 Solution for a super smart auto feeder

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding, and based on my experience with the api smart Auto feeder that was also wifi capable, that you can only control the feeder via WiFi if your phone is also connected to the same wifi at the same time. That does you no good while you're traveling away from home. With my solution there is a hub that controls the switch bot that allows me to control the feeder from anywhere in the world. I think you'll find these wifi feeders to leave you unsatisfied.

Not sure about the API feeder you mentioned, but the Ilonda/londafish feeder is Alexa/Google compatible and can be operated remotely via the app or via Alexa/Google, so it does not appear to have the same limitations as the API unit you mentioned.

It appears there are many generic/chinese made feeders that all appear to be the same feeder. Ilonda, londafish, Aquabasik, etc... but it looks like one branded DollaTek is priced the cheapest at $19.99. It appears they all tell you to download the same Ilonda app, so I'm guessing they are all identical feeders being sold under various generic names.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the API feeder you mentioned, but the Ilonda/londafish feeder is Alexa/Google compatible and can be operated remotely via the app or via Alexa/Google, so it does not appear to have the same limitations as the API unit you mentioned.

It appears there are many generic/chinese made feeders that all appear to be the same feeder. Ilonda, londafish, Aquabasik, etc... but it looks like one branded DollaTek is priced the cheapest at $19.99. It appears they all tell you to download the same Ilonda app, so I'm guessing they are all identical feeders being sold under various generic names.
Without a hub, I don't understand how the feeder could be controlled remotely. If you found a product that can replace my smorgasbord mashup of 4 different components and achieve the same outcome, I would be the first one who wants to know about it!

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a hub, I don't understand how the feeder could be controlled remotely. If you found a product that can replace my smorgasbord mashup of 4 different components and achieve the same outcome, I would be the first one who wants to know about it!
I'm not sure what you mean.... it works via wifi. Just like any other Alexa/Google enabled device. Once you set it up on your network, and enable the alexa skill you are good to go.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean.... it works via wifi. Just like any other Alexa/Google enabled device. Once you set it up on your network, and enable the alexa skill you are good to go.
But how do you control it from your phone when your phone isn't connected to WiFi? You need a hub that acts as a static ip address to remote into via the app that stays connected to the WiFi that you access from you phone when you're not connected to WiFi.

I'm 99% sure you won't be able to control the feeder with your phone unless your phone is also connected to the same wifi that the feeder is on.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how do you control it from your phone when your phone isn't connected to WiFi? You need a hub that acts as a static ip address to remote into via the app that stays connected to the WiFi that you access from you phone when you're not connected to WiFi.

I'm 99% sure you won't be able to control the feeder with your phone unless your phone is also connected to the same wifi that the feeder is on.

Watch the youtube videos on this feeder. it will explain it all. It works over wifi.
The feeder is connected to wifi. it connects to your router via wifi. when Alexa or google sends a signal to it, it is over wifi. Just like any other Alexa/Google smart device.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but his can be controlled when not in you home network. Like I'm at the office, and want to feed the fish.

Can those do that too?

Yes, if you are using it via Alexa, it works via AWS so yes, you can use it anywhere you can access the internet.

Pull out your phone, open the alexa app, say "alexa, feed my fish" and it will feed your fish. You can be anywhere in the world as long as you have internet service and the device is connected at your house.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this in the description. Looks like you have to be on the same network, and cannot be controlled remotely.

Compared to traditional manual feeding​

The wifi fish feeder working need to connect the network,please keep your phone connect the network.

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you are using it via Alexa, it works via AWS so yes, you can use it anywhere you can access the internet.

Pull out your phone, open the alexa app, say "alexa, feed my fish" and it will feed your fish. You can be anywhere in the world as long as you have internet service and the device is connected at your house.
Ah, sounds like a bit of a work around using your alexa as a hub. Interesting

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this in the description. Looks like you have to be on the same network, and cannot be controlled remotely.

Compared to traditional manual feeding​

The wifi fish feeder working need to connect the network,please keep your phone connect the network.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

You don't even need a phone to use this feeder.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but you are wrong.

You don't even need a phone to use this feeder.
I'm not wrong, it's in their description. I guess that only applies to using their app though.

I didn't think about using the alexa as the hub either.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not wrong, it's in their description. I guess that only applies to using their app though.

I didn't think about using the alexa as the hub either.

Sorry, it was a poor choice of words, I was trying to keep things short while posting on my mobile.

Once it is set up and the skill is enabled. you shouldn't even need the phone to do a simple feeding.
You would need the phone to use the feeder app, or set up schedules via the feeder app... then again, once the feeder is enabled as a device via the alexa app. you could use Alexa to do any scheduling, so again, you wouldn't really need the phone/app once you have things set up via Alexa.

So you could instruct a feeding from any alexa device, including your phone, wherever you are. And use the Alexa app to schedule feedings, from your phone, wherever you are. Your phone being connected to your home network should not matter once the device is setup. You can even have multiple feeders set up this way, just name them differently.

Google assistant would work the same way I would assume.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I would like to present to you my $90 solution for a "smart fish feeder" that makes it possible to:

- say "Alexa, feed the fish" - Will also work with "Hey Google" or Siri. Whichever smart home system you have is compatible
- Set automatic feeding schedules, up to unlimited times per day, every other day, once a week, whatever - Any feeding time/day combination you can imagine. Twice on Wednesdays, not at all Thursday and once on Friday... Anything is possible
- Use my phone to set these schedules
- Use my phone to feed the fish with the push of a button from anywhere in the world - as long as I have an internet connection
- Set it to only feed the fish when I want it to be fed by manually pushing the button on my phone. Automatic feeding times not mandatory. Maybe you don't want the auto feeder to feed everyday, but today you got tied up at work/school/dinner and want to remotely, manually feed your fish with your phone

What you are going to need:

- A 2.4ghz home wifi signal - Will NOT work with 5ghz

- This automatic fish feeder. Don't worry about configuring the feeder or anything, just plug it into a power source and put it on your tank. Don't need to fumble with the clumbsy feeding schedules on the feeder itself.
8N5MZoQ.jpg

- This "SwitchBot - Smart Button Pusher"
iIBHRKd.jpg

- The "SwitchBot Mini Hub" - This is what allows the device to be controlled with smart home services like Google or Alexa, and to be controlled remotely with your phone. If you do not have this you can only control the SwitchBot button pusher while connected to bluetooth. I highly recommend the hub for full functionality.
45xXP1s.jpg

From here it's pretty simple. Install the "SwitchBot" app, make an account, connect the smart hub, connect the SwitchBot, link them together and use the included double sided sticky tape to attach the SwitchBot to the feeder, configure and enjoy!

To be controlled by Alexa, you need to install the "SwitchBot" skill in the Alexa app and create a scene in the app so when you say, " Alexa, Feed the fish" it triggers the switchbot to push the manual feed button on the autofeeder.

Anyway, Enjoy!

Nice idea. For money saver boddyes like me I could do similar with an older type of auto feeders. Mine does a feed whenever powered on. I have a smart power strip under the tank with several USB ports. I could turn it on or off with Alexa google assistant or even Siri or by scheduler.
To connect the feeder just have to use a (1k resister cost close to nothing) just to bridge the voltage difference between the usb 5V and the device 3V. The power strip was £20 the feeder is about £10 the resister and cables would be about £1
Oh and you get 4 individually powered sockets too.

There are details of this power strip in build tread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-heater-failure-build.783559/#post-8447480

Attachments

• B870E743-6FE0-4AF0-81C9-AD5EEBDAAD4C.jpeg
    B870E743-6FE0-4AF0-81C9-AD5EEBDAAD4C.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 35

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the $20 alexa feeders I mentioned above and it works just as expected.
You can set a timer for easy timed feedings, or you can feed manually via the button on the feeder, the feeder app, or via alexa/google. Or even set feedings to occur via scenarios, or other conditions (sunrise/sunset, smart sensors, etc)

So for $20 anybody can have a smart feeder and feed their fish from anywhere, using a phone, tablet, or any google/alexa device connected to the internet.

I've only had the feeder up and running for about 8 hours now. No disconnects or issues yet, but I'll see how it does over the coming days/weeks. The feeder will notify you if it loses connection and it also keeps a log of all feedings. Pretty slick feeder for only $20.

These feeders are also same form factor as the eheim feeders, so I'm pretty sure the eheim feeding station would work perfectly with this feeder too.

My feeder is USB powered, and I have it plugged into a smart USB port so I can power the feeder on/off remotely also. I'm hoping that will alleviate any connection issues. If it loses connection, I'll just restart it remotely and hopefully it should reconnect.

Screenshot_20210117-205744_iLONDA.jpg Screenshot_20210117-205739_iLONDA.jpg Screenshot_20210117-205804_iLONDA.jpg Screenshot_20210117-205751_iLONDA.jpg

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how this Feeder is working, I was thinking you could use the camera to watch the fish tank and see if the fish feeder worked. Also you could use the camera to remotely tell Alexa to feed the fish

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the $20 alexa feeders I mentioned above and it works just as expected.
You can set a timer for easy timed feedings, or you can feed manually via the button on the feeder, the feeder app, or via alexa/google. Or even set feedings to occur via scenarios, or other conditions (sunrise/sunset, smart sensors, etc)

So for $20 anybody can have a smart feeder and feed their fish from anywhere, using a phone, tablet, or any google/alexa device connected to the internet.

I've only had the feeder up and running for about 8 hours now. No disconnects or issues yet, but I'll see how it does over the coming days/weeks. The feeder will notify you if it loses connection and it also keeps a log of all feedings. Pretty slick feeder for only $20.

These feeders are also same form factor as the eheim feeders, so I'm pretty sure the eheim feeding station would work perfectly with this feeder too.

My feeder is USB powered, and I have it plugged into a smart USB port so I can power the feeder on/off remotely also. I'm hoping that will alleviate any connection issues. If it loses connection, I'll just restart it remotely and hopefully it should reconnect.

Screenshot_20210117-205744_iLONDA.jpg Screenshot_20210117-205739_iLONDA.jpg Screenshot_20210117-205804_iLONDA.jpg Screenshot_20210117-205751_iLONDA.jpg
Which one did you buy? Do you still like it? Does it feed once to test when it turns on?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one did you buy? Do you still like it? Does it feed once to test when it turns on?

I bought the cheap $20 one... I've been using it daily since I got it.
I originally got it so that I would be able to feed my fish while out of town, but now that I have it, I've started to use it just to feed my fish while I'm also at work every day. It works great.

I too have some cameras fixed on my tank, so I use my cameras to watch my fish as I'm feeding them remotely.

The app actually keeps track of each time the feeder operates. You can set the app to notify you each time the feeder runs, and/or each time it fails to run.... The app will also notify you if the feeder goes offline. So you don't really need a camera to confirm whether it worked or not. But I like having the cameras so I can watch my fish while I'm away.

All of these generic alexa feeders are identical. They all use the same app. In fact, several apps work with these feeders. I'm now using the Tuya Smart app with my feeder instead of the original Ilonda app, but they are virtually identical.

Since installing my feeder, I've also discovered that it works with SmartThings and also IFTTT so you can do whatever you want with it as far as smart integration and making it run hands-free.

Best $20 I've spent on my tank in a while. I can't believe more people aren't using these things.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sounds like a bit of a work around using your alexa as a hub. Interesting
Its not using Alexa as hub. There is no hub needed. You don't actually need a physical alexa device... just the app is enough. it all works via wi-fi. All you need is a 2.4ghz wifi signal, which everyone has via their home router. No extra hardware or hubs necessary, just wifi. The feeder connects to a 2.4ghz wifi signal. You then control it via any number of apps, or by any Alexa/Google apps, or via Alexa/Google devices, or voice command via any of those means.

All you need is wifi and this $20 feeder, nothing else. You don't even need to use Alexa/Google with this feeder if you don't want to, but I don't know why you wouldn't want to. haha.

I've had my feeder for almost two weeks now. Using it daily. It has not lost connection to my wifi once. I even purposely reset my router a few days ago to see how it would react and it reconnected fine after the wifi came back up. I have not had a single issue with this feeder. Can't get much more simple than this $20 feeder. Every reefer should have one of these.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and all the info, im just trying to figure out which 20$ one your using, i‘d like to order today

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back