AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another picture of my refuge tank. It is looking great with all of the macro algae growing in nicely. On last count there looks to be between 20-30 species of macro algae growing. Nothing at all unusual about this picture (Wink wink)
ca6da2abcda99384f7b04a5d19f5efc6.jpg

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the video on the screen tops! I need to make something similar and you've given me some great ideas! :)

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of pictures I wanted to share. I spotted the first growth of coraline algae on the glass of the refuge tank with is a great sign. Also the 5 royal gramma were all gathered up for dinner. Of course the mantis decided to say hello.
d3b9f28cd0134ef6091b6ff496bea00c.jpg
1f62f945a36850c9e93ca70c2b043200.jpg
2fd94f95b4c0f312f9430bc98703a28e.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding a gate valve on your skimmer exit. By choking off the exit you can easily control the height in your skimmer
I have added a reducer to the outflow of the skimmer to achieve this effect last week. I have the water level pretty much where I think it needs to be but if I need to raise the water level any higher I will have to lower the skimmer on its base otherwise it interferes with the drain line water levels since the skimmer is gravity fed. Once I get final tweaking completed I will likely add a gate valve as you suggested so that I have better control of the water level from the outflow of the skimmer.

FilterFreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build.. i have been researching Plywood tanks as i plan to build one in the future..

I have a question for you- I seen on your braces of the 740 that most seamed to go vertical vs horizontal? I know you had horizontal braces in place but do you think it would have been stronger if built opposite of how you built it? Thats the part that has me a little nervous, the span is greater over the length of most plywood tanks vs the depth.. my tank will be 8ft long as well.. 96 x 30x 26 Tall .. i love the glass top braces, great idea vs using wood IMO..

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build.. i have been researching Plywood tanks as i plan to build one in the future..

I have a question for you- I seen on your braces of the 740 that most seamed to go vertical vs horizontal? I know you had horizontal braces in place but do you think it would have been stronger if built opposite of how you built it? Thats the part that has me a little nervous, the span is greater over the length of most plywood tanks vs the depth.. my tank will be 8ft long as well.. 96 x 30x 26 Tall .. i love the glass top braces, great idea vs using wood IMO..

The initial rear/side bracing that I added to the 720 gallon tank was to allow for the use of pumps with large magnets such as a gyre pump. The main idea was that the additional plywood bracing would be enough to re-enforce the rear/side panels. When it was observed that is was not enough bracing and bowing was observed the 720 gallon tank was drained. I do not believe that using vertical plywood braces on the rear/side panels would have made a difference and it is likely the tank would have still bowed due to the water pressure. The 2x4 on edge bracing was constructed with main vertical braces since the shorter the bracing 2x4 is the more difficult it is for the pressure to have the leverage required to bend the on edge 2x4 brace the vertical height of the tank was the main reason that the 2x4 bracing was required 720 gallon tank since it was 36" tall. I did not need to add additional 2x4 bracing to the 480 gallon tank it is only 24" tall and it has not shown any signs of bowing. I hope this answers your question. The best advice I can give is take your time and make sure there is a test fill period with freshwater so if you need to drain the tank the saltwater is not wasted going down the drain.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to comment: after looking into this thread, your natural talent in front of the camera, including comprehensive step by step updates, stands out, and could only be surpassed by your obvious ability in design- engineering and ubiquitous hand/tool skills, if it wasn’t for your infectious enthusiasm and flexibility in overcoming all unforeseen complications.

Cool calm collected, and transparent as starfire.

Bravo

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to comment: after looking into this thread, your natural talent in front of the camera, including comprehensive step by step updates, stands out, and could only be surpassed by your obvious ability in design- engineering and ubiquitous hand/tool skills, if it wasn’t for your infectious enthusiasm and flexibility in overcoming all unforeseen complications.

Cool calm collected, and transparent as starfire.

Bravo

Thank you for the kind comments. I really hope that sharing the journey of this aquarium system can help out the reefing community.

FilterFreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I see what your saying.. ty for the comment.. 5760 lbs of water is rite at 3 tons.. thats incredible force .. This has me redesigning my tank walls for more strength ... Mine came out to 3000 lbs of water at 370 gal from inner dimensions of the tank... Im using DIY Joey style corners, the over lap design is just flat out strong !!! Then using horizontal runners for anti-bow , then ill use some type of plywood or finished wood for the outer skin... Your build has really helped me out man, TY for sharing...

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I have done an proper update. The system is doing well and I am slowly adding fish to the system I will attach some pictures of the tanks shortly after the lights come on. I attended the Chicago Aquatic Experience last week and picked up a few goodies. I also finished up my DIY Needle Wheel impeller video series. I will be making another video testing the two types of impellers to see if one clearly makes more bubbles than the other. In case you missed it I also released a video of the mantis shrimp for Halloween showing her feeding behavior.

Back