AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got something new for the 1600 gallon system today.
acb82bfcc86bbd9f355d8857499f92d9.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job bro!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the details Alex, it’s been awesome to follow along. What lights are you running? I forgot if you’ve mentioned it.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I posted an update. I have been busy for the last few weeks with a lot of aquarium projects, writing an article, and a vacation. With the holidays fast approaching I am trying to get a few more projects started or completed by the end of the year. Unfortunately when I was on vacation something decided emerge in the form a disease and I lost a few fish. Whatever it was it did not seem to effect the wrasses as they are all looking good and acting normal. I did manage to get my puffers out and into a hospital tank. I treating with parguard which seems to be working well as both puffers are looking better after the first week. I will keep them in the hospital tank at least a month. I will also be working on getting some lighting installed on the reef tank in the near future. In case you missed it check out my article on Reef2Reef: titled Reefing After Dark: Bioluminescence in the Reef Aquarium https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefing-after-dark-–-bioluminescence-in-the-reef-aquarium.338847/

It won't be long now and I will be ready to start adding corals on a regular basis.

Update 12-17-17

Bioluminescence Video

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build.
I too myself have done a few large(800+g) plywood builds. My first 84x48x48had some rear deflection as well. I too did some external bracing and it helped. Sold the house and had to remove after only a year.
2nd(current) is 145”x32”x43” 860g I built differently. I used 2 1” sheets of plywood but I lap joined them together in the middle with a 6” joint. It’s way stronger that way than a single sheet the full length. Plus I carbon fiber matted the seams extremely well. My bracing of the glass was done by 2x4s for the sides and bottom and 2x6 for the top front. I then used 2x4 and 2x6’s for the cross bracing up the front to back.
This has been great for 2 yrs but again I’m going to be selling my townhome and buying a house hopefully soon. A new build again will ensue. Hopefully going 120x48x48 or if possible 144x48x48
3/4” glass was used in all builds and was perimeters by a minimum of 2” all the way around

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful build.
I too myself have done a few large(800+g) plywood builds. My first 84x48x48had some rear deflection as well. I too did some external bracing and it helped. Sold the house and had to remove after only a year.
2nd(current) is 145”x32”x43” 860g I built differently. I used 2 1” sheets of plywood but I lap joined them together in the middle with a 6” joint. It’s way stronger that way than a single sheet the full length. Plus I carbon fiber matted the seams extremely well. My bracing of the glass was done by 2x4s for the sides and bottom and 2x6 for the top front. I then used 2x4 and 2x6’s for the cross bracing up the front to back.
This has been great for 2 yrs but again I’m going to be selling my townhome and buying a house hopefully soon. A new build again will ensue. Hopefully going 120x48x48 or if possible 144x48x48
3/4” glass was used in all builds and was perimeters by a minimum of 2” all the way around

I would love to see some pictures of your tank if you have any. I like the idea of using the lap joint on the plywood. What did you use to waterproof your tank?

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a tech moron and don’t know how to post pics. I can email them to you if u want.

The first build I used sweetwaterAES Pentair 2 part epoxy cuz I built the tank on site. On this build I did bluemax rubber paint cuz I had to build it at my moms place and was worried about flexing during the move and cracking the epoxy. My next build will be on site and I’ll use the pond shield for sure. The bluemax was good too just more of a pain to work with when it came down to curing and such. 2 part has more steps to it but it dries faster and cures quicker

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good stuff, bro!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made it through the whole build thread, amazing stuff. Cant wait for the year in review.

How are the puffers doing in the hospital?
Unfortunately they did not make it. They were doing good for about 2 weeks and they they took a rapid turn for the worse. Within two days I lost both puffers.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back