AlexGs Basement Plywood Build 2 displays one system.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the holidays almost here I have been keeping the tanks stable with no new additions to the system. I have done some rearranging and have moved a few corals around.

IMG_20191222_114345_308.jpg
20191222_114159.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you and your family nothing but good health and happiness in 2020!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get a great shot of the dragon face pipe fish. This little guy is constantly on the move looking for pods. My tank is like an all you can eat buffet with pods.

IMG_6113.jpg
I assume he is in the 480 reef? How long have you had him - would love one but am worried they might be too timid to compete for pods.

Gorgeous build/story. Thank you for sharing

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume he is in the 480 reef? How long have you had him - would love one but am worried they might be too timid to compete for pods.

Gorgeous build/story. Thank you for sharing

Yes the pipefish is in the 480 gallon reef tank. I find that my fish just leave the pipefish alone. A good population of pods is needed but even between the two spotted mandarins there is plenty to go around. I have had this pipefish almost 2 years. I have tried to make pairs twice but have had poor luck getting other dragonface pipe fish make if past the first week.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlexG in one of your more recent videos you mentioned that you replace the seals on your Reeflo pump annually. With doing this has it stayed reliable? Firing one up on my new system too. Yesterday Jake Adams alluded on his video that he has heard reports of Reeflo pumps decreasing in QA and therefore they are requiring more and more maintenance.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AlexG in one of your more recent videos you mentioned that you replace the seals on your Reeflo pump annually. With doing this has it stayed reliable? Firing one up on my new system too. Yesterday Jake Adams alluded on his video that he has heard reports of Reeflo pumps decreasing in QA and therefore they are requiring more and more maintenance.

I'm not who you directed your question toward but I've never seen or heard of any complaints about Reeflo pumps. I've personally owned several of them and they were bulletproof.

While Jake has some good videos and info, I often take what he saye with a grain of salt. One has to remember who pays the bills for Jake and, through the years, it has become readily apparent where favoritism has fallen.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He made the statement on his most recent video while hyping the New MRC pumps. I purchased my Reeflo after months of research and so far very pleased. Love iwaki’s too but I need more floor with a pretty high head.
I'm not who you directed your question toward but I've never seen or heard of any complaints about Reeflo pumps. I've personally owned several of them and they were bulletproof.

While Jake has some good videos and info, I often take what he saye with a grain of salt. One has to remember who pays the bills for Jake and, through the years, it has become readily apparent where favoritism has fallen.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He made the statement on his most recent video while hyping the New MRC pumps. I purchased my Reeflo after months of research and so far very pleased. Love iwaki’s too but I need more floor with a pretty high head.

MRC makes some nice equipment for sure. However, the new pumps are, well, new. They may be great pumps but no one really knows as they've not been proven yet. In my humble opinion, I think they offer the 5 year warranty because Reeflo offers it. For my money, I'd stay with the proven product.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @crusso1993 ! I really am pleased with it and am not looking for a change. Just wanted to make sure I was diligent on seal maintenance to make that thing a long term workhorse!
MRC makes some nice equipment for sure. However, the new pumps are, well, new. They may be great pumps but no one really knows as they've not been proven yet. In my humble opinion, I think they offer the 5 year warranty because Reeflo offers it. For my money, I'd stay with the proven product.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the reliability standpoint of the seals holding 1 year has proven to be the ideal time for a pro-active replacement. I do get some salt and rust thrown from the shaft seal that will make a little build up over a year but I have not encountered a complete seal failure to date where water is just pouring out. I am using the seals I get from reeflo which are industrial seals. Not sure what MRC is using but I would suspect that there are different grades of seals available which might last longer in some cases. I will add that I do hear about people having seal failures on a more regular basis but I would also need to get some additional details on how they completed replacements on the seals along with the actual run time before failure. If seals are not installed properly they will be more likely to fail before their expected lifespan. I did look at the MRC pumps and one thing that is missing from the sites selling these pumps is accessory seal replacement kit which I would consider a must have for any pump with a shaft seal. I am wondering if a DIY seal replacement will void the warranty or if they plan to sell seal kits in the future.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a day. New corals have arrived. Cherry Corals Polyppalooza livesale was a blast and a great way to end 2019. Brett and Todd always have some fantastic corals and fantastic deals. @Acro76 @CherryCorals

I will post more pictures once everything is put away.

20200107_151006.jpg
20200107_150724.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex, thx for everything. Remodeling the basement right now and starting the fish tank. 8'x4'x3'. Plywood baby!!!!!!!!! How do those powerheads stick through 1" of plywood and fiberglass? Chris

I left a few places where there is a single layer of 3/4" plywood. I am sure with paint and epoxy it is a little thicker in those areas but the magnets for the gyree and Rossmont pumps work. I even had an mp40 on at one point without any issues.

vincel892

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was very informative. Im in the process of designing a plywood build with almost identical dimensions to your 720 gallon. Im also going with 3/4" glass and just had a question about the install. Do you have a lip/ledge of wood for the bottom edge of the glass to sit on? or is the silicone strong enough to keep the glass in place after flipping the tank upright?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back