Algae bloom 6 weeks into cycle

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started my tank 6 weeks back with dry rock, bare bottom. I added Fritz TurboStart to start the cycle. I added fish after 1 week (the nitrogen cycle was complete by then).

4 weeks into the cycle, I bought a small bottle of Brightwell MicroBactor7 and started dosing the recommended amount per day. I thought this would increase the bacteria diversity in my tank. However, at the beginning of week 5, I lost my patience and emptied the remaining of the MB7 (1/4 bottle) into the tank. The water turned cloudy within 24 hours and has stayed cloudy for little over a week now.

Initially, I thought it was a bacterial bloom and just left it alone. I had my lights running the normal schedule. I started noticing a green hue and now I think it is an algae bloom. The tank sits next to a window but does not receive direct sunlight at any time of the day.

Is UV my only option? I switched off the display lights today. I have my fuge light running with chaeto I added earlier this week.

I did 10% water changes yesterday and today (on top of regular 10% weekly water changes). I change filter socks 2 times a week.

Tank - 29g petco
Sump - 10g petco + FijiCube DIY kit
Alk - 10.8 dkh
pH - 8
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0-5 ppm

Livestock:
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Chalk Bass

Lights:
Display - AI Hydra 32HD (12 hours with 8-hour peak photoperiod).
Fuge - Kessil H80 (running reverse 12-hour cycle).

No cucs or corals yet. I have no algae growth on the rocks either. I used to get so much hair algae in my previous live sand, live rock cycles.

The tank appears more green in pictures.

IMG_0781.jpg

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is the BRS 4 month cycle is for the most part lights off. Also, losing patience is not desirable. Nothing happens fast. Dumping a load of bacteria - what were you trying to accomplish? 4 months is 4 months. Not sooner, not later. As a minimum at this point I would do a large water change and keep the lights off. Bacteria do not need the lights (algae does) and the fish don't need lights either.

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know what I was thinking. I will keep the light off for the rest of the cycle.

Is there any sense in doing a series of water changes this week or should I just wait it out and stick to my 10% weekly water changes?

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what I was thinking. I will keep the light off for the rest of the cycle.

Is there any sense in doing a series of water changes this week or should I just wait it out and stick to my 10% weekly water changes?
I would do 30-40% water change now. Keep up a regular schedule of water changes (i.e. 20% every week). It won't have any adverse effects. I also add Microbacter 7 (per manufacturers instructions - don't over dose) after the water change. This is to insure the beneficial bacteria populate the rock surface which reduces the risk of nuisance algae.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing some more research on bare bottom tanks. The cycle is much different and you will have rough first year as the tank matures even with great bacterial and algae control.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing some more research on bare bottom tanks. The cycle is much different and you will have rough first year as the tank matures even with great bacterial and algae control.
Never heard of this. Do you have some research to support? BRS doesn't differentiate as most of tank maturity centers on live rock which takes time to develop. Your source would be helpful.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan from BRS literally talks about the difficulty of the bare bottom in the first year in multiple videos. I’ll see if I can find the ones I’ve seen

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan from BRS literally talks about the difficulty of the bare bottom in the first year in multiple videos. I’ll see if I can find the ones I’ve seen
Here is some interesting information from BRS. Bottom-line, established biofilter is the key and often times that is mature live rock. Adding bacteria (i.e. Microbacter 7 among others) regularly per instructions promote maturity. If you have a sump, that is also a major component to both bare and sand bottom tanks biofilter capacity.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a in-depth talk of his approach. I know he talks about his issues with bare bottoms in the first year in many of his live videos. I just can’t find the exact clips.

also a write up on their ULM series

CA0A1F29-5D62-4550-9C41-4F5B59EB88B7.png

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lights out did not help. Yesterday evening, I added a green killing machine 24w UV sterilizer to the tank. The water is looking much better now. I think it will clear out in a day or two.

SurgeonFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a bacterial bloom if the light didn’t help and the UV did. Best advice is to pick a schedule you can commit to and work toward stability. The hybrid method is what I’m currently doing and in their videos they stress that this is not the fastest way to success but a slow methodicalAnd extremely effective one.

I would check your nitrates again as if there was a large bacterial die off your nitrates may have spiked.

Stability and consistency will be your biggest friend!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back