Algae? Dinos?

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 18 months old now, and by most measures thriving. About 2 months ago though, I started to get some what I thought was algae on the sand where it used to be white or coralline pink. The substance is green and brown and pretty smooth - sometimes with bubbles if I leave it too long. I've siphoned it off a few times but it comes back within days to a week. The other day I went full turkey baster on the whole sand bed and stirred it up really good and got a ton of stuff out. However a good bit of it came back within the day. This is when I started to suspect it might not be algae. I also notice that it does tend to reduce by ~80% when the lights go out which I believe is a dino thing? I'm wondering if I have dinos? This is almost exclusively on the sand too, maybe a little on some of the lower rocks but most of my rock is clean coralline covered. I also run a UV.

My tank is quite stable with good parameters:
Temp 78
PO4: .04-.06ppm
NO3: 3-5ppm
pH: 8.2 - 8.45
Ca: 450
Mg: 1350
Alk: 8.0

Would love any thoughts!

Day:
IMG-3143.jpg

Night:

IMG-3159.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is 18 months old now, and by most measures thriving. About 2 months ago though, I started to get some what I thought was algae on the sand where it used to be white or coralline pink. The substance is green and brown and pretty smooth - sometimes with bubbles if I leave it too long. I've siphoned it off a few times but it comes back within days to a week. The other day I went full turkey baster on the whole sand bed and stirred it up really good and got a ton of stuff out. However a good bit of it came back within the day. This is when I started to suspect it might not be algae. I also notice that it does tend to reduce by ~80% when the lights go out which I believe is a dino thing? I'm wondering if I have dinos? This is almost exclusively on the sand too, maybe a little on some of the lower rocks but most of my rock is clean coralline covered. I also run a UV.

My tank is quite stable with good parameters:
Temp 78
PO4: .04-.06ppm
NO3: 3-5ppm
pH: 8.2 - 8.45
Ca: 450
Mg: 1350
Alk: 8.0

Would love any thoughts!

Day:
IMG-3143.jpg

Night:

IMG-3159.jpg
This is Cyano Bacteria. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had cyano a few times and in my experience it shows up on the rocks and has always been red. This is very much brown and green - is there a brown and green version of cyano? Does cyano largely disappear at night?

I think if anything I'm on the low end nutrient-wise (see my params above). I have an adequately sized skimmer and roller mat. If anything, I'm pretty sure I'm on the low side of nutrients.

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think Cyano also. There is for sure green Cyano, I’m not sure of brown. If you’re running UV and it was Dino’s I would think it would be gone. My reason for saying that is you said it disappears at night, UV is very effective against the kind of Dino’s that go waterborne when the lights are out.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it change anyone's opinion if I said it's nearly 100% gone this morning? (but will be back in a few hours). I don't believe cyano does that?

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it change anyone's opinion if I said it's nearly 100% gone this morning? (but will be back in a few hours). I don't believe cyano does that?
I would think if it was Dino’s it would be getting destroyed by your UV. How big of a UV are you running?

I’ve had Cyano get better when lights are out, and worse again with the lights are on.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if it was Dino’s it would be getting destroyed by your UV. How big of a UV are you running?

I’ve had Cyano get better when lights are out, and worse again with the lights are on

I’ve had Cyano get better when lights are out, and worse again with the lights are on.
I have a 9w Coralife on the 75g tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back