Algae Everywhere

Gordon42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what this is at all. I have 150 gallon mixed reef with a 40 gallon Trigger Systems sump. I am also running a 40 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet sterilizer and I cannot for the life of me figure what this is or how to get rid of it. It is also on the rocks as well as the overflows. My parameters are all good as far as I tested. PH 8.3, Nitrate and Nitrite 0, Amonia 0 and Salinity 1.024. I have been adding Purple Up to promote the growth of coralline algae. I use RO DI water with a meter on it so I know the TDS is zero coming out. Running two AI Hydra lights with a pre programmed schedule.
Thank you for the help.

DD0F1068-B512-4581-920C-76171C66D87A.jpeg 33CA0836-04C1-4322-A289-0CB68E2E8CC6.jpeg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too blue to see the algae on my phone. Scrub the worst off outside the tank. then pour some Hydrogen peroxide over the rocks. The rocks will bubble when added back to the tank. Don't do to many rocks at once. Too much HP in the tank may cause issues. HP is pretty affective at killing most algae. What are your phosphates at? Nitrate and phosphate are what is feeding your algae, so they may test low because the algae is consuming it. You need to work on removing both or the algae will come right back. I find growing algae in an ATS is an easy and inexpensive way to keep algae out of the display tank.

Upvote 1

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To blue to see the algae on my phone. Scrub the worst off outside the tank. then pour some Hydrogen peroxide over the rocks. The rocks will bubble when added back to the tank. Don't do to many rocks at once. Too much HP in the tank may cause issues. HP is pretty affective at killing most algae. What are your phosphates at? Nitrate and phosphate are what is feeding your algae, so they may test low because the algae is consuming it. You need to work on removing both or the algae will come right back. I find growing algae in an ATS is an easy and inexpensive way to keep algae out of the display tank.
Wow, the nuclear option.

I have no idea what this is at all. I have 150 gallon mixed reef with a 40 gallon Trigger Systems sump. I am also running a 40 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet sterilizer and I cannot for the life of me figure what this is or how to get rid of it. It is also on the rocks as well as the overflows. My parameters are all good as far as I tested. PH 8.3, Nitrate and Nitrite 0, Amonia 0 and Salinity 1.024. I have been adding Purple Up to promote the growth of coralline algae. I use RO DI water with a meter on it so I know the TDS is zero coming out. Running two AI Hydra lights with a pre programmed schedule.
Thank you for the help.

DD0F1068-B512-4581-920C-76171C66D87A.jpeg 33CA0836-04C1-4322-A289-0CB68E2E8CC6.jpeg
What clean up crew have you got? Have you removed any algae manually?
How many fish?
But white light photos would be nice.

Upvote 0
Back