Algae ID

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we don't have particular group for ID-ing algae, I'm going to post it here.

Have you guys have this sort of green algae in your live rocks? It's not slimy, no hair, almost like encrusting and apparently is different morphological form of Coralline Algae.

Algue_corallinale_%C3%A0_d%C3%A9terminer_-_2.jpg

It's definitely unsightly in comparison to the normal purple Coralline Algae.

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is unsightly- it'd be cool if you had areas of this and then of purple. I have some small spots, but they are a lighter green.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, not positive that a coralline. It is totally cool though. (and I'm Envious of the sps there too carribean I believe)

Last edited:

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about what looks like bubble algae to the top left of the green stuff! [emoji3]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about what looks like bubble algae to the top left of the green stuff! [emoji3]
meh, keep looking. there's about5 things that would freak most people out.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my tank, boys @rockhead51 @saltyfilmfolks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coralline_algae

The picture was taken from that Wiki .. so it has to be some sort of Coralline Algae but perhaps different type.

I was just wondering if any of you know about it ... I didn't for sure until I saw it.

I was already on the assumption is some sort of bad algae.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks

Wouldn't you think bubble and GHA a bad algae? Or you consider them as tool that consume Po4?

Cyano? Dino? Bryopsis?
We used to enjoy tanks like that as a natural display piece. Encouraging the entire biosphere. Many of those would naturally die off as we just can't keep them alive at home. Some did flourish(sometimes to near plague yes) but the understanding of husbandry was deeper in the hobby as that was the initial draw. Keeping it all alive. You trimmed cleaned and pruned your reef so no one organisim took over. You also added decorative pieces and fish to help with the clean up and to add visual beauty. But the microfaune that came in with the rock was the more imparts the factor. It just does the work itself. That's the magic of wild live rock of good live rock. He organisms are so diverse no one really takes over. You'll hear many folks like myself and old timers complain about Rick now esp dry rock. It's harder. Look at home many cyano an Dino threads there are. Esp in a young tank. Then if course the freak out and battle. And bottles. People forget Randy dosed silicate to encourage ditom growth. An acro friend
Here feeds Dino's. I reccomend Garf grunge and Fiji mud to treat cyano and Dino's.

Today is about a display and pretty things imo. Not animals. Or it's just it's a lost lore in the hobby. Or just cheaper and more acseesable and affordable thus profitable and the knowledge of the deeper biology became secondary to the collecting aspect of the flashiest coral.

But yes. There are some algaes that are a disaster in a tank. But there's also corals worms pods bugs bacterias molds and fungus that are bad to as they have a survival strategy we just can't beat because the had a billion years to figure it out.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, folks think I'm nuts when I reccomend putting mud in thier tank. So I don't do it much. Def not as much as PaulB.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know similarly growing red algae and if you look close you will see that the border of the green patch to the rocks is red, similar to the reddish brown patches above it. I think it is a red alga that has lost its red pigmentation and only the green chlorophyll left. Maybe it is dying or the conditions are inadequate.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, folks think I'm nuts when I reccomend putting mud in thier tank. So I don't do it much. Def not as much as PaulB.
I believe this is one of the reasons Paul's tank has been around for 40 years, all the biodiversity.
Salty how do you add mud to your system? Do you squirt around the tank like Paul or add it to the sump? Do you filter it or just dump it in? Next time I'm at the shore I'm collecting some mud to add to my tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is one of the reasons Paul's tank has been around for 40 years, all the biodiversity.
Salty how do you add mud to your system? Do you squirt around the tank like Paul or add it to the sump? Do you filter it or just dump it in? Next time I'm at the shore I'm collecting some mud to add to my tank.
the fiji mud is clay like so I can just scoop a fing full and swish or drop a clump in the tank and let it dissolve. I actually seeded my sand beds with it. Depending on what yours is like just some in the sump or the tank. And I wouldn't go overboard as the could be a few nutrints in the real thing of course, If you worry about those types of things.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know similarly growing red algae and if you look close you will see that the border of the green patch to the rocks is red, similar to the reddish brown patches above it. I think it is a red alga that has lost its red pigmentation and only the green chlorophyll left. Maybe it is dying or the conditions are inadequate.

Something is growing from it .. like a pink branch .. but don't worry about it ... I'm just curious, that's all :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should not let people know about this. If the word got out, everyone's tank would last forever with no problems and no one wants that. :eek:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not let people know about this. If the word got out, everyone's tank would last forever with no problems and no one wants that. :eek:
Oh I tell people any way. They never listen. Now I know how my mom feels.;Meh

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back