OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you're continuing to feed the one crab? Just so I'm following...

I actually just transferred the crab to my display. I thought it was pretty, and I wanted to see it in my reef.

If you got any suggestions, I’m all ears!

I’m thinking of waiting a bit to see if Nitrates spike from any dying algae. But if it doesn’t, I have a few options:

Dose ammonia

Dose nitrate

add a fish and only feed it (no dosing)

The crabs hardly ate anything, so it wasn’t the best idea as an N source in ratio to the algae.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I doing a bad job with this experiment? I feel like I’m disappointing everyone. :(

Sometimes I assume everyone is thinking negative of me, so I’m going to be blunt and ask for your opinions. I am trying not to introduce too many variables, that’s why I’m “slow” when trying to add your suggestions.

I really am trying my best to not add a lot of variables. I never intentionally dosed N nor P.

I am testing my water as often as you guys want me to.

I hope I’m not disappointing anyone.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not disappointed at all. Just trying to follow.

I do think however some regular input of nutrients is needed otherwise won't everything just die eventually once energy is exhausted? Maybe some sort of self sustaining loop will occur, idk.

I guess it's just what direction you want to take it. Do you want to just "see what happens" or do you want to control the experiment a bit more with measured inputs of nutrients, etc.

I'm still following, don't give up :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not disappointed at all. Just trying to follow.

I do think however some regular input of nutrients is needed otherwise won't everything just die eventually once energy is exhausted? Maybe some sort of self sustaining loop will occur, idk.
Thank you! :)

This experiment is mainly because I became interested in @Beuchat ’s article. Here are some quotes I read from him:

Yes, I agree. If we keep a continuous dosing of organic carbon in the system, we will be balancing the recycling of inorganic nutrients from algae to bacteria, as we don't want photosynthetic organisms to take advantage and create pests

Yes, In the essay we verified that while dinos are there, it is better not dose nutrients. You can resume after they are gone
That is what Beuchat responded. The reason I’m reluctant to dose nutrients is that people say low nutrients cause Dinos. I’m trying to figure out why some people can reach ULN without dinos.

If I’m being completely frank, the reason I’m interested in experimenting is that I want to go ULN (I like the colors of Acropora in deficient nutrients). I want to understand why some people don’t get dinos in those systems.

Does this better explain my reasoning? I realized I had never explained my reason for this experiment.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this better explain my reasoning?
Yes! and part of that is my fault as it just clicked in my head that the organic carbon IS the source of nutrients in this case....sorry, I have no science background but I enjoy this stuff and sometimes there is a lag in my understanding :)

I too am interested in ULN type as it seems high nutrients isn't for my system at this time... Carry on!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! and part of that is my fault as it just clicked in my head that the organic carbon IS the source of nutrients in this case....sorry, I have no science background but I enjoy this stuff and sometimes there is a lag in my understanding :)

I too am interested in ULN type as it seems high nutrients isn't for my system at this time... Carry on!
I don’t think carbon dosing is really nutrients. I do still need to supply them (especially N).

I will add a fish and feed it. Probably an anthias because I want to add it to my tank after the experiment ha.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry maybe I'm not understanding then. Wouldn't the carbon feed the bacteria? There wouldn't be much directly for nuisance algae but the bacteria would grow, right? And would those bacteria then feed nuisance algae?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry maybe I'm not understanding then. Wouldn't the carbon feed the bacteria? There wouldn't be much directly for nuisance algae but the bacteria would grow, right? And would those bacteria then feed nuisance algae?
Yes, carbon dosing can feed bacteria and some algaes, but they do need a source of N and P to survive.

The theory is that bacteria is able to scavenge for nutrients at very low levels. So the theory is for the bacteria to outcompete the algaes, but everything needs a source of N and P. :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, carbon dosing can feed bacteria and some algaes, but they do need a source of N and P to survive.

The theory is that bacteria is able to scavenge for nutrients at very low levels. So the theory is for the bacteria to outcompete the algaes, but everything needs a source of N and P. :)
The source of N and P doesn’t have to be in the nitrates and phosphates type, although you had zero no3 during your test it doesn’t mean you didn’t had any source of N in the system. All that stuff in your poly pads were producing sources of nitrogen and phosphates that your test kit can’t detect. The day folks understand that the hobby will be much different.I can see a lot of positive stuff coming from this test already.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but everything needs a source of N and P
Very true. You are dosing vinegar right? I recently heard Dr. Craig Bingman mention he believes corals can uptake vinegar directly. I'd have to go over what he exactly stated again but I wonder if any of these nuisance algae can do the same

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The source of N and P doesn’t have to be in the nitrates and phosphates type, although you had zero no3 during your test it doesn’t mean you didn’t had any source of N in the system. All that stuff in your poly pads were producing sources of nitrogen and phosphates that your test kit can’t detect. The day folks understand that the hobby will be much different.I can see a lot of positive stuff coming from this test already.
But you were the one who kept telling me to dose Nitrogen! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Very true. You are dosing vinegar right? I recently heard Dr. Craig Bingman mention he believes corals can uptake vinegar directly. I'd have to go over what he exactly stated again but I wonder if any of these nuisance algae can do the same
Yes! They can! I am dosing vinegar and glucose. According the Beuchat, he saw a faster recession of dinos when dosing sugar. This whole thread is to test the theory of beuchat’s article. :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you were the one who kept telling me to dose Nitrogen! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I recommend to dose nitrates, that are the last stage of nitrogen form in the system and the one most photosynthetic organisms will have to use more energy to revert them back to ammonia, opposite to heterotrophic organisms that just need some dissolved organic carbon to be able to use them. Nitrogen is a fairly large group of nutrients, I could try and explain you why although I would just be losing my time really as per the smile face :)

Last edited:

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about dosing nitrates or anything yet. I would drop the carbon dose down to .5ml or less though. Do you have pods in this tank? Fun experiment.

Last edited:

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I doing a bad job with this experiment? I feel like I’m disappointing everyone. :(

Sometimes I assume everyone is thinking negative of me, so I’m going to be blunt and ask for your opinions. I am trying not to introduce too many variables, that’s why I’m “slow” when trying to add your suggestions.

I really am trying my best to not add a lot of variables. I never intentionally dosed N nor P.

No! I’m enjoying this quite a bit.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend to dose nitrates, that are the last stage of nutrients. Nitrogen is a fairly large group of nutrients, I could try and explain you why although I would just be losing my time really as per the smile face :)
I‘m sorry for the laughing smiley face. I guess I didn’t really understand what you meant.

I think following one person’s advice will guarantee the “best” results. I feel like too much input and opinions can skew the results.

In this thread, I chose Taricha as my guide because he knows sciencetific method of conducting an experiment. I want to limit variables that will null my experiment.

I am trying my best and I am following the major advice (for example, I am doing 10% water changes with brand new saltwater, instead of my display, just like you guys said).

Taricha said I can get away with adding a small fish or invert, so that’s why I’m doing that.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope not at all I'm following along buddy, I've done this kind of thing too :) I have my 20g going right now that started as the tank I put my kp live rock in to cure when it arrived, with a inkbird heater and a HOB filter. After the rock was done I left a piece in there and some time went on and it turned into a nice little tank now, who knows you might end up keeping it and turning it into something, small tanks don't get enough attention sometimes, there's something special about a nano!

I would get a fish or two in there just to add some fish bacteria to the mix/experiment. Dr..

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m sorry for the laughing smiley face. I guess I didn’t really understand what you meant.

I think following one person’s advice will guarantee the “best” results. I feel like too much input and opinions can skew the results.

In this thread, I chose Taricha as my guide because he knows sciencetific method of conducting an experiment. I want to limit variables that will null my experiment.

I am trying my best and I am following the major advice (for example, I am doing 10% water changes with brand new saltwater, instead of my display, just like you guys said).

Taricha said I can get away with adding a small fish or invert, so that’s why I’m doing that.
I understand that and the reason I have not been interfering too much, I haven’t suggested water changes as I know that that will introduce variables, with water changes you are replenishing minerals and macro nutrients like potassium and fe. I thought that commenting at the time would be seen as interference, I suggest a protein skimmer for that reason in a earlier comment, you also just performed a tank clean that would of removed many organic from the system, that is also a variable as larger tanks won’t be able to replicate and the reason some folks are successful with “rip clean” (not my favourite). beuchat method uses bacteria for that purpose as you just added in a quote from his thread. The bacteria with the aid of carbon will (eat) those organics and keep them in their body mass. A weird analogy would be me eating a piece of meat before it goes rotten. If I eat that piece of meat, it won’t stay in the environment to rot and feed other nuisances associated with meat decomposition. The problem we have here is that aquarists only see carbon dosing as a method to lower no3 and some po4 without realising that it also aids the bacteria responsible for decomposing (eating) organic matter. If the goal is to decompose organics the reduction of no3 and po4 is just a side effect of the method that can be compensated by adding more no3 and po4.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that and the reason I have not been interfering too much, I haven’t suggested water changes as I know that that will introduce variables, with water changes you are replenishing minerals and macro nutrients like potassium and fe. I thought that commenting at the time would be seen as interference, I suggest a protein skimmer for that reason in a earlier comment, you also just performed a tank clean that would of removed many organic from the system, that is also a variable as larger tanks won’t be able to replicate that, beuchat method uses bacteria for that purpose as you just added in a quote from his thread. The bacteria with the aid of carbon will (eat) those organics and keep them in their body mass. A weird analogy would be me eating a piece of meat before it goes rotten. If I eat that piece of meat, it won’t stay in the environment to rot and feed other nuisances associated with meat decomposition. The problem we have here is that aquarists only see carbon dosing as a method to lower no3 and some po4 without realising that it also aids the bacteria responsible for decomposing (eating) organic matter. If the goal is to decompose organics the reduction of no3 and po4 is just a side effect of the method that can be compensated by adding more no3 and po4.
Just to be clear, you want me to dose a little nitrate?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, you want me to dose a little nitrate?
At this point may not make much difference as nitrifying bacteria alone may be able to deal with the ammonia from the little organic nutrients left in the system after the clean.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back