Algae outbreak

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7B9D967D-F512-4FCE-9F44-1C658D53B7B7.jpeg

Anyone know what I should do in order to get rid of this algae? i had dino’s at first, did a 3 day blackout and now they’re gone but I have a different algae growing. Any idea of what I should do?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your start date on r2r is remotely close to the day your started your tank then you should do nothing but sit back and let the diatom bloom take place and naturally recede.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed above, the price of starting with bright reflective dry rock is uglies phasing but at least you did not get any mantid shrimp hitchhikers or aiptasia etc.

this thread shows what you can do when it gets really bad. you are allowed to deep clean it when you want, and you can let it beard over too if desired, ur choice. your tank is heading where that one below was on pic 1, they all do that.

back when we tested your reef for cycle verification, it passed. that means any degree of 100% water changes or 20% water changes as you siphon out waste cannot hurt it, = the deep clean option

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also handy in your thread, we barely proofed your cycle like three days ago and these growths are on time. we always talk about how any reef that has new growths we can see (on the sand, rocks, glass areas down low) is a cycled reef, if we'd waited three more days we could have proofed your cycle off the tank pic alone that's pretty slick.

Jack your reef was handy in several different ways lol.

Last edited:

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon has a different but highly effective take compared to many. I agree if things get insane a rip clean can be effective. I definitely stir/vacuume sand at water change. But dry rock sand is a PAIN! it will work out in the end but it takes a while. Live rock and sand is mandatory for my lazy butt!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some sort of sump and a bubble trap?
What sort of setup do you have?

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some sort of sump and a bubble trap?
What sort of setup do you have?
I have an all in one 32g cube, I don’t have a bubble trap. I’m just running my filter pad and a bag of carbon so far. want to get a refugium going soon.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returns could be a little close to surface. Close is good, but too close can give bubbles. Outside of that your getting air in the return some how.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back