Algae overgrowth

Ohreefcle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to ai hydra 52 (4x) over my 150gal (6ft tank). Corals are loving the upgrade however I am over run now with algae in the sand bed, walls and rock. I was running for 11hrs but dropped it down to 8. Nutrients all within limits. I am newer to the hobby, a year and a half under my belt, and am looking for advice on how to get this algae under control. Any advise would be much appreciated. Learning as I go!

63F35089-9A8C-4EB2-8A19-39716EC60342.png C22057AA-BD51-4664-A757-44715A4A71E0.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe turn down the red if you are getting a lot of green algae. I know you say that your nitrate and phosphate are fine but if you have a lot of algae then you may be getting a false reading as they take it up so fast out of the water when they are in larger numbers. What is your filtration ?

OP
OP
Ohreefcle

Ohreefcle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe turn down the red if you are getting a lot of green algae. I know you say that your nitrate and phosphate are fine but if you have a lot of algae then you may be getting a false reading as they take it up so fast out of the water when they are in larger numbers. What is your filtration ?
I am running protein skimmer, chaeto chamber, manual filtration with filter pad. I also run GFO and Carbon. I have a triton 44 sump, the old version that does not allow for filter socks and am toying with the idea of using a rotozip to access the intake plumbing to install filter socks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running protein skimmer, chaeto chamber, manual filtration with filter pad. I also run GFO and Carbon. I have a triton 44 sump, the old version that does not allow for filter socks and am toying with the idea of using a rotozip to access the intake plumbing to install filter socks.

What kind of light on the chaeto? Do you dose trace elements? Just trying to get a full picture here. Also, GFO can limit chaetos ability to grow unless you are producing lots of phosphate in the tank. And one more thing, do you use tap water?

But I think the main thing I would do right away is just lower or remove the red from your AI lights if you are getting green algae problems. From my understanding, coral uses red as more of an indicator of depth rather than a photosynthetic use but I could be wrong on that.

OP
OP
Ohreefcle

Ohreefcle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light on the chaeto? Do you dose trace elements? Just trying to get a full picture here. Also, GFO can limit chaetos ability to grow unless you are producing lots of phosphate in the tank. And one more thing, do you use tap water?

But I think the main thing I would do right away is just lower or remove the red from your AI lights if you are getting green algae problems. From my understanding, coral uses red as more of an indicator of depth rather than a photosynthetic use but I could be wrong on that.
I’m not religious about my trace element dosing and I am running an indoor plant light from amazon. 100w grow light. I will try reducing red thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post those in an ID page to see what it is. The bubbles remind me of dinos which would make sense given how you run a skimmer, refugium, and GFO. However, the rocks looks like something else and I typically see dinos as a little darker.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back