Algae reactor

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

So I had installed a reef octopus algae reactor and it completely stripped my phosphates away (0 is what hanna phosphate URL says)

Would it be okay if I didn't turn the light on, on the reactor every other day but keep the pump running so water flows through it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the algae will do with every other day lighting but you can definitely reduce the amount of time it is lit up.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its running chaeto as the algae every other day lighting should be fine, that's what brs does from memory.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You could but the algae will eventually weaken releasing nitrates. Think about it - the nature of plants need a light and dark cycle. And yes the inside of the reactor will grow algae and even have coraline . On the other hand, the Algae Reactor is a unique device which utilizes and cultivates macroalgae (specifically Chaetomorpha) to absorb and remove algae-producing nutrients from your aquarium's water. The LED light strip inside of the reactor maximizes light exposure for the algae within, aiding growth and nutrient consumption. I left mine on all the time when I had it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always feed more? I forgot who said it here on these forums but a "high thru put" nutrient system is good for corals - meaning heavy feeding and heavy export

I started doing this about a month ago. No3 stabilized around 3 and 1ppb po4. I feed fish food and dose amino daily, + coral food every other day, a mix of the Hikari frozen, roids, and coral frenzy.

Coral seem to like it so far..

Also noticed more sand beasties proliferation

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back