Alge sucks!

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well woke up to s surprise today, I had a rediculas amount of green alge film on my glass and back wall , cleaned it as usual, with in 1 hour or 2 it was back, cleaned it a 3rd time and it started to come back, did a parameter check
Ph 8.3
Sal 34
Temp 78
Pho. 05
Nitrates 10ppm
Cal 430
Alk 10.1
Amonia 0
Mag 1300
Kinda curious where this came from , I started a vibrant dosing today ..skimmer has its usual merky dark color , checked my apex logs, ph swing was normal 8.0 to 8.3 over night, temp 77.5 to 78.4 this green alge is not on no rocks corals nothing but glass a d little on my sand, anyone encounter this before? Just need some input,

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months to a to around a year with the new aquascape and sump conversion, and almost 18months with the sanded

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you changed anything recently? Light, flow, etc.? Are you running socks/filter floss, and what's your schedule for swapping those out? Do your nitrates usually run at 10ppm? Basically asking for all the obvious stuff before getting into less common reasons for random algae growth.

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks twice a week, filter floss 1 a week along with a waterchange, i had changed my radion XR15 gen 4 pro schedule due to my apex crashed, having s hard time adjusting the LED life, been a solid T5 guy , but other than that no new additions, no changes in DT stuff

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens...my seahorse tank was doing the green haze thing on the glass...sometime it would reappear in hours..it stopped doing it here recently... still green haze is better than the brown haze. ,,, yeah and I’m also thinking you might try rinsing your frozen, changing socks more often, et... Eitherway big turbos love the green haze

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens...my seahorse tank was doing the green haze thing on the glass...sometime it would reappear in hours..it stopped doing it here recently... still green haze is better than the brown haze. ,,, yeah and I’m also thinking you might try rinsing your frozen, changing socks more often, et... Eitherway big turbos love the green haze
I do have a semi decent clean up crew but I definitely can up my sock regiment, im used to big tanks 120+ fist nano

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks twice a week, filter floss 1 a week along with a waterchange, i had changed my radion XR15 gen 4 pro schedule due to my apex crashed, having s hard time adjusting the LED life, been a solid T5 guy , but other than that no new additions, no changes in DT stuff

Awesome, thanks for the details. In descending order of probability, 1) your coral are adjusting to the light and are uptaking fewer nutrients, which is making more available for new algae. With a few water changes and a few weeks, it will go away. 2) check your RO/DI (when's the last time you changed your resin/you still getting 0 ppm TDS output?) 3) do you vacuum gravel regularly? If not, when did you last do that--if it was recently, that would be the biggest cause; if not recently, that might also be a cause, but it would likely creep up over several weeks/months versus an explosion of algae), 4) are all your fish/larger snails/CUC accounted for? This could cause a small spike in nitrate which would fuel new algae growth if your tank isn't already heavily stocked with coral.

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the details. In descending order of probability, 1) your coral are adjusting to the light and are uptaking fewer nutrients, which is making more available for new algae. With a few water changes and a few weeks, it will go away. 2) check your RO/DI (when's the last time you changed your resin/you still getting 0 ppm TDS output?) 3) do you vacuum gravel regularly? If not, when did you last do that--if it was recently, that would be the biggest cause; if not recently, that might also be a cause, but it would likely creep up over several weeks/months versus an explosion of algae), 4) are all your fish/larger snails/CUC accounted for? This could cause a small spike in nitrate which would fuel new algae growth if your tank isn't already heavily stocked with coral.
RODI is a 6 stage and replaced all filter and membranes 0.00 tds

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pics if it helps

15908899647523373048209134917099.jpg 15908899907225828851035820017010.jpg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pics if it helps

15908899647523373048209134917099.jpg 15908899907225828851035820017010.jpg

Sounds like you're on top of maintenance, and that algae growth looks like the beginning stages of a general nutrient spike. If you're paying that much attention to your RO/DI, which is normally tucked away, you're probably paying even more attention to your tank. If something happened recently to throw off the biology or chemistry of the tank, just removing the algae and a water change or two should get you back stable. Even with the change in the light program, with a tank as mature as yours, I wouldn't stress about it ... animals will adjust, and the water changes will pick up the slack until they do.

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, thought I might have been losing my reef keeping husbandry been in this hobby for over 12 years on and off but this hobby always seems to keep me guessing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back