Algea scrubber questions

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you start before you get algae. If GHA is left to grow it will develop rhizomes that will burrow under the first few mm of rock. Once it's there, it's very hard to get rid of IME but will eventually reduce in size/disappear. Having run an ATS for 18 months now (with no skimmer) the GHA I have in display is very much minimized to just two locations now which are very easy to pick off. Before I had GHA in small batches everywhere and it was a real effort to make a dent in removing it. Now, two small clumps that grow on one stalk and is very easy to just pick off when cleaning. ATS is going strong, nitrates are low but detectable as are phosphates and again, no skimmer. Never plan on having a reef tank without ATS. You can see more details in build thread here - ATS

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you start before you get algae. If GHA is left to grow it will develop rhizomes that will burrow under the first few mm of rock. Once it's there, it's very hard to get rid of IME but will eventually reduce in size/disappear. Having run an ATS for 18 months now (with no skimmer) the GHA I have in display is very much minimized to just two locations now which are very easy to pick off. Before I had GHA in small batches everywhere and it was a real effort to make a dent in removing it. Now, two small clumps that grow on one stalk and is very easy to just pick off when cleaning. ATS is going strong, nitrates are low but detectable as are phosphates and again, no skimmer. Never plan on having a reef tank without ATS. You can see more details in build thread here - ATS
Nice I am looking to add this one to my waterbox 130.4 reef https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/alga...=14057&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something to think over. One of the reasons I picked the RAIN2 was that the LEDs are waterproof (not sure if IceCap are - didn't see it when read). To me that's inherently safer but also if you lose power and ATS is just above water line, the water will cover the algae preventing die off due to dry out. Also, you can add more leds if you need more light at some point (a bit expandable). You may have thought/adjusted for those issues already or be limited in room in sump. Definitely more than one right piece of gear for everyone. Plus S-M is a bit higher price point.

Good luck!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get the rain2 do I need all four bulbs? For a 130 gallon system
Santa Monica posts on their site (and other online forums) that the size of the ATS isn't related directly to the size of the tank, but the amount fed. This make quite a bit of sense actually as the ATS is removing nutrients (Nitrogen and Phosphate) which are added via food. They have posted a breakdown of what's recommended here. I will say I'm running 2 lights on my 170. I was feeding 1 cube mysis daily and 6 sq in of nori every other day and it handled that easily (had to timer down the lights a bit actually). Now due to some loss I'm feeding 1/2 cube per day with same nori and have dialed the lights back a bit more on timer. Now that's going to apply to any ATS but it's nice to have a company that communicates all that clearly.

The other thing is that is comes with a power supply with option to add up to 4 lights (again, I have two - the other two are capped and unused) so no need to buy extra power supplies and have extra bricks.

I'm also a fan of simple engineering. Don't make it complicated if it doesn't need to be. This is dome covering screen with waterproof lights. Just lift off cover and remove the pipe or just the screen to clean. You don't even need a pump (I have one) if you want to plumb in a drain line. The stand is just PVC which makes it easy for me to buy extensions if need (I don't - the ATS sits just at the water line).

Anyway - you can tell I'm a big fan not only of ATS but of that brand. I also have one of the small HOG1.x in my freshwater tank. So even if you don't go with S-M scrubber I would still recommend an ATS, save the money on a big skimmer and any carbon dosing additives. Here's a vid I found when I was trying to decide how to go that really convinced me.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa Monica posts on their site (and other online forums) that the size of the ATS isn't related directly to the size of the tank, but the amount fed. This make quite a bit of sense actually as the ATS is removing nutrients (Nitrogen and Phosphate) which are added via food. They have posted a breakdown of what's recommended here. I will say I'm running 2 lights on my 170. I was feeding 1 cube mysis daily and 6 sq in of nori every other day and it handled that easily (had to timer down the lights a bit actually). Now due to some loss I'm feeding 1/2 cube per day with same nori and have dialed the lights back a bit more on timer. Now that's going to apply to any ATS but it's nice to have a company that communicates all that clearly.

The other thing is that is comes with a power supply with option to add up to 4 lights (again, I have two - the other two are capped and unused) so no need to buy extra power supplies and have extra bricks.

I'm also a fan of simple engineering. Don't make it complicated if it doesn't need to be. This is dome covering screen with waterproof lights. Just lift off cover and remove the pipe or just the screen to clean. You don't even need a pump (I have one) if you want to plumb in a drain line. The stand is just PVC which makes it easy for me to buy extensions if need (I don't - the ATS sits just at the water line).

Anyway - you can tell I'm a big fan not only of ATS but of that brand. I also have one of the small HOG1.x in my freshwater tank. So even if you don't go with S-M scrubber I would still recommend an ATS, save the money on a big skimmer and any carbon dosing additives. Here's a vid I found when I was trying to decide how to go that really convinced
Ok I have a max spec jump skimmer on my tank…..since I started feeding my corals weekly my po4 is going up to 0.2 nitrates around 10…. I am getting algae in my display now….I even started doing water changes 10 gallons a week still not helping with my po4…. Was thinking about adding an Algea scrubber to get the Algea out of my display and to lower po4…feeding reef roids…still debating if I need a scrubber or not

ZoaAddiction81

Nems And More Nems
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cleaned mine out usually once a month or so. Definitely helped with keeping algae at bay and nutrients down.

Attachments

• 81E7A639-1D3A-4BD3-8273-2F5BED9B18FA.jpeg
    81E7A639-1D3A-4BD3-8273-2F5BED9B18FA.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 26

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back