OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It's generally best to wait 12 hours or more to test alk, calcium, and magnesium after a water change or manually dosing. Test again right before you go to bed or first thing in the morning. The reading of 13 might have been a very temporary rise...
It’s been about 5 hours since I tested luckily it’s a super simple test with Hanna so that’s a win

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial blooms aren't a big deal when you plan for them, and in this case you'll be doing small daily water changes.
That being said, as others have suggested I would stay away from carbon dosing, as your nutrients are too low and it'll most likely do more hard than good at this point.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are super hardy. They might brown out, but shouldn't peal. Every tank is different though, so you never know.

Btw, keep an eye on your alk. It could plummet a ton due to dropping your nutrients and increasing your alk. You might see a lot of growth. You will definitely see a spike in nutrients again. Your rock will be releasing all the stored nitrate and phosphate. I'd continue doing 30% water changes every 3 days.
I need to stop chasing dang numbers the corals was all fluffy and appeared happy as could be but since everyone preaches 20 or less no3 and less than .08 po4 here we are ‍♂️

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been about 5 hours since I tested luckily it’s a super simple test with Hanna so that’s a win
My advice, which may absolutely not be the best, is to test again in the morning and go from there. If alk is down to 11 or less then you probably didn't have as big of a swing as you thought. If it's still high, mix some new saltwater, TEST THE ALK*, and do a 20% water change.
*If the alk of your new SW is higher than the tank alk, you'll be better off not doing the water change yet.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Alk tests are can often be inaccurate, do you have a Salifert/Red Sea test kit on hand?
Well tbh I first tested it with api i know unreliable but it was saying 11 drops took it to yellow then I checked with Hanna and 13.8 is what she read

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice, which may absolutely not be the best, is to test again in the morning and go from there. If alk is down to 11 or less then you probably didn't have as big of a swing as you thought. If it's still high, mix some new saltwater, TEST THE ALK*, and do a 20% water change.
*If the alk of your new SW is higher than the tank alk, you'll be better off not doing the water change yet.
Thank you for your help ma’am

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to stop chasing dang numbers the corals was all fluffy and appeared happy as could be but since everyone preaches 20 or less no3 and less than .08 po4 here we are ‍♂️
Not everyone preaches that, but somehow it's become gospel, lol.

It is difficult to meet the nutritient requirements for softies, LPS, and most sps all in one tank, especially a small one, but the SPS you have are fine with dirtier water and the lps and softies won't mind N : P of 50:0.5.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tbh I first tested it with api i know unreliable but it was saying 11 drops took it to yellow then I checked with Hanna and 13.8 is what she read
API is not unreliable, their tests just aren't as precise.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone preaches that, but somehow it's become gospel, lol.

It is difficult to meet the nutritient requirements for softies, LPS, and most sps all in one tank, especially a small one, but the SPS you have are fine with dirtier water and the lps and softies won't mind N : P of 50:0.5.
I agree with you totally I have a buddy whose literally the only other reefer I’ve came to know personally that lives a couple towns over and he preaches it and well I listen ‍♂️ when I had my 180g mixed Reef I never checked anything I just fed it and wc once a month didn’t even dose it much. It was a fully established wet system I bought this tanks my first one I’ve did from scratch and it’s been quite the journey haha

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, API isn't a titration test...

Never mind, I'm thinking of nitrate, lol

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is not unreliable, their tests just aren't as precise.
They can actually be used for high resolution readings as well by dilution.

I would trust the results from API over Hanna.
Do another API test, make sure to follow the instructions.

If this is the case, it's most likely to be a bad Hanna Alk reagent and a smaller Alk swing than you thought it was.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If this is the case, it's most likely to be a bad Hanna Alk reagent and a smaller Alk swing than you thought it was.
Okay I’ll check it again with api one moment

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just checked went yellow at 11 drops then broke the dang vial ‍♂️

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked went yellow at 11 drops then broke the dang vial ‍♂️
Ok so first thing you do tomorrow is to get a new Alk test from either Salifert, Red Sea, AquaForset or Tropic Marin and test again.

I also suggest getting new salt with lower element values such as the blue bucket from Red Sea for your upcoming water changes, this will make it easier for you to lower alk in the upcoming weeks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back