Alk test kits

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had used Salifert Alk test kits for several years and was very satisfied with them. A year or two ago I heard that Salifert was having problems with consistency of their kits and that the company was owned and operated by one individual in Holland. This individual, who was once very helpful and responsive to inquiries, was now nowhere to be found. I got "spooked" and went to LaMotte. I'm pretty well satisfied with them but I now understand that "Habib" has resurfaced and Salifert is now going strong again.

My question is: What Alk test kits are you using and why?

Reef Empire

I bleed saltwater.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We too, have used Salifert for years and have always been happy, although their reagents shelf dates seem to be flexible. The newer ones we have purchased now come with a calibration fluid to test your reagents though.

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat as you. I use salifert for yrs and started to have problems with them. I now use LaMotte and I'm very happy. Yes, "Habib" has resurfaced. He has been back for awhile or if you read it on it in never left. Health issuse or something.

Anyways from what I have read they have made some improvments, but still are have some issue too. For one they now have a stardard with there alk test kit, which I not sure if any one else has. Its a nice feature about some are having issue with it. For now I will stay with LaMotte until salifert has all the bugs worked out.

Dennis210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hagen - they are part of hardness test kit where you get both Gh and dKH. Some placeswill sell just one reagent so refills for testing dKH are actually only 2.65

UFreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use salifert but after hearing of the issues I just make sure that I doublecheck it the first time I start a new kit against another Lamotte or Elos test kit at my LFS. I just really like how easy Salifert tests are to run.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered replacement reagents for my LaMotte alk kit. That's convenient as I don't need the tube, syringe, etc., cheaper too. The LaMotte is just as easy to use as Salifert.

holdyourlight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert. What bugs me about the alk kit is the bottle of blue stuff..you know..the one you put 2 drops in with..
The bottle's always seem to be leaky and what I mean by that is that the drops just kind of leak out when I flip it upside down and I can never tell whether I am getting 2 uniform drops out..just my 2 cents

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have went to te SERA brand and have not looked back. these were introduced to me from sara b a while back and i love them and yes i just bought an alk test kit for 9.50 so cal tropical fish has the in stock. easy to use and accurate.
Richard

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the SERA test kits too! They are a very affordable German brand and are made for them by Merck!

Back