Alkalinity help!

michaelrp

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2017
Messages
33
Reaction score
14
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon coral life biocube that's about 2 years old. I have tons of coralline algae and multiple pieces of LPS a BTA softies etc. 2 small clowns and a pistol shrimp with ywg and a mandarin. My problem is that after a water change my all is at a 8. After 3 days or so it drops to a 4 or 5. I used two different test kits one being API reef master and nyos. Same reading. PH is fine but cal is low and I have a MG test kit coming in his week. My question is why such a large swing? I understand that coral and coralline consume carbonate hardness for their skeletons. But a buddy of mine has the same setup as me with far more coral and has no issues. I use coral pro Red Sea sea salt.
 
I have a 29 gallon coral life biocube that's about 2 years old. I have tons of coralline algae and multiple pieces of LPS a BTA softies etc. 2 small clowns and a pistol shrimp with ywg and a mandarin. My problem is that after a water change my all is at a 8. After 3 days or so it drops to a 4 or 5. I used two different test kits one being API reef master and nyos. Same reading. PH is fine but cal is low and I have a MG test kit coming in his week. My question is why such a large swing? I understand that coral and coralline consume carbonate hardness for their skeletons. But a buddy of mine has the same setup as me with far more coral and has no issues. I use coral pro Red Sea sea salt.

IMG_0143.JPG
 
As a side note very thing seems to be doing out except for my new additions which is a Maximus clam
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new