Alkalinity issues

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity is always low. Doesn’t matter if I change the water. It’s always about 6-7 dkh. Ph is also always around 7.8
I doesn’t have an auto doser yet but I’ve tried dumping doses of kalkwasser and sodium bicarbonate from brs without much luck.
I only have about 5 little zoa frags so I’m not sure what could be causing it to be so low all the time

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity is always low. Doesn’t matter if I change the water. It’s always about 6-7 dkh. Ph is also always around 7.8
I doesn’t have an auto doser yet but I’ve tried dumping doses of kalkwasser and sodium bicarbonate from brs without much luck.
I only have about 5 little zoa frags so I’m not sure what could be causing it to be so low all the time
What is the MEASURED DKH of your salt mix? What tester are you using?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a comment From Randy H-F from a post in 2021 to a person that was seeing what you are seeing and that person had a fish only tank If I remember correctly.
Quote: "We do know what depletes alkalinity, and the only thing that is significant in a reef tank (aside from calcification) is conversion of ammonia to nitrate. That depletes alk. A rise in nitrate by 50 ppm will deplete 4.5 dKH or alk.

There is not a big list of other "processes" that deplete alkalinity. No other normal processes by algae or bacteria or anything else deplete alkalinty.

Bear ion mind that many organisms form calcium carbonate and deplete alkalinity. Worms (some types), snails, bivalves, etc. can deplete alkalinity. Abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate is also often significant and can be the major sink in a new tank."

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before jumping to conclusions, what are you testing with? Had a second opinion? Are you sure that your salinity reading is also correct?

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the MEASURED DKH of your salt mix? What tester are you using?
I’m using tropic Marin test kit and I’m not seeing any dkh labeled on my instant ocean reef crystals. Also my nitrates are never above 10

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before jumping to conclusions, what are you testing with? Had a second opinion? Are you sure that your salinity reading is also correct?
Yes I keep my salinity at 1.025. Tropic Marin test kit for that specific parameter

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using tropic Marin test kit and I’m not seeing any dkh labeled on my instant ocean reef crystals. Also my nitrates are never above 10
I would for sure get a second opinion on the reading. That salt mixes very high for alk as far as brands go.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hear much about that brand of test which could be a good or bad thing. I would recommend salifert, red sea or hanna tests. For now, have your LFS test your water for you.

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hear much about that brand of test which could be a good or bad thing. I would recommend salifert, red sea or hanna tests. For now, have your LFS test your water for you.
♀️ I just got a large variety test kit from brs

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
♀️ I just got a large variety test kit from brs
Still worth a second opinion. The salt you have mixes to 11 or 12 for alkalinity I think.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 since I've never heard, how are these tropic Marin test kits?
They are fairly new compared to other kits on the market and I am familiar with the kits but not familiar with the accuracy.

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still worth a second opinion. The salt you have mixes to 11 or 12 for alkalinity I think.
Ok! I’ll do that!
Just for future though, if the reading is accurate when I test at lfs, what should I do?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! I’ll do that!
Just for future though, if the reading is accurate when I test at lfs, what should I do?
Will need to start checking into alk dosing. I do mine with a baking soda and water solution. Another way to test is by testing some freshly made saltwater. The readings should be on your bucket or can be Googled. If the test doesn't match, there's a problem somewhere.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DO NOT dump alk, CA, anything especially quickly which can lead to potential disaster with overall water.
To start with- , I get about 9-9.5 on reef crystal. I am currently using Tropic Marin salt which is a bit higher. With PH at 7.8, generally when alk is elevated, it can act as stimulant and will increase pH and cause other chemistry issues.
Have you tested water when you mix to see what alk is Before placing it in the tank?
Generally when alk is low if the value is high to start with after water change. . . .. Your calcium may be high or salt mix is high in alk.
If all else fails, you can add baking soda to sump at 1 teaspoon per 10 gals and check the alk a day later and see where the number ends at. Check another 24 hours and see if it changed. If it does, Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api test kits and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with your readings

DO NOT ADD ANY MORE ALK UNTIL YOU CONFIRM TRUE ALK READINGS AS IF FALSE YOU HAVE MAY OVERDOSED YOUR TANK

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT dump alk, CA, anything especially quickly which can lead to potential disaster with overall water.
To start with- , I get about 9-9.5 on reef crystal. I am currently using Tropic Marin salt which is a bit higher. With PH at 7.8, generally when alk is elevated, it can act as stimulant and will increase pH and cause other chemistry issues.
Have you tested water when you mix to see what alk is Before placing it in the tank?
Generally when alk is low if the value is high to start with after water change. . . .. Your calcium may be high or salt mix is high in alk.
If all else fails, you can add baking soda to sump at 1 teaspoon per 10 gals and check the alk a day later and see where the number ends at. Check another 24 hours and see if it changed. If it does, Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use Api test kits and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with your readings

DO NOT ADD ANY MORE ALK UNTIL YOU CONFIRM TRUE ALK READINGS AS IF FALSE YOU HAVE MAY OVERDOSED YOUR TANK
All the lfs around me use api tests. I have a mix of sodium bicarbonate from brs. All my parameters except the ph and alk are great. I’ll have to test a batch of fresh saltwater before I change it out next time. I’ve only ever tested the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All the lfs around me use api tests. I have a mix of sodium bicarbonate from brs. All my parameters except the ph and alk are great. I’ll have to test a batch of fresh saltwater before I change it out next time. I’ve only ever tested the tank.
Also when you do a water change, allow the tank to settle at least 12 hours as if sooner, you could get false readings

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your setup?
coralline algae is a HUGE consumer of alk especially when it "takes off" starts to propagate...

OP
OP
Musicrocx09

Musicrocx09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your setup?
coralline algae is a HUGE consumer of alk especially when it "takes off" starts to propagate...
40 gallon display and 20 gallon sump. Unfortunately I don’t have a speck or coralline yet

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back