Alkilinity

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I buy it in a can from a hardware store it's a green can literally called pickling lime. This is really old school reefing! Only now my apex controls my doser...long time ago it was a 2 liter bottle and a drip line with a clamp to control flow. Odd how things have changed yet stayed the same over some 30+ years in this hobby
The green can—that sounds like the stuff I saw. All for keeping it old school. I’d rather spend the money on livestock and gear. I prefer supplements to be as straightforward as possible, since I can understand and manage the chemistry better.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but things change so fast. That's why I posted this I just wanted to see if things moved past me yet. I know they have but it's still the old stand by that people use it looks like I have not been passed up to far yet...

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but things change so fast. That's why I posted this I just wanted to see if things moved past me yet. I know they have but it's still the old stand by that people use it looks like I have not been passed up to far yet...

Kalk is a really elegant solution (no pun intended). I think it’ll be around for a long time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In cases where kalk will work for all or a meaningful part of Ca/Alk demand, I think it’s the superior choice. Other supplements either jack up your ionic balance or are a form of carbon dosing. They may be the right choice where demand outstrips kalk, or where carbon dosing is desired.

I guess a Ca reactor works similarly to kalk, but for those of us with lower demand, they’re overkill. And you might need kalk with a reactor to keep pH up anyway.

I say ride the kalkwasser horse as far as you can!
Curious - how (which) other supplements are a form of carbon dosing? There is a difference between organic and inorganic carbon - or?

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - how (which) other supplements are a form of carbon dosing? There is a difference between organic and inorganic carbon - or?

Carbo-Calcium and other one-part Ca/Alk supplements (other than kalk) get their alk component from acetate, formate, or other organic carbon sources. They are metabolized to alkalinity by bacteria in the system. Nothing wrong with them at all; just a factor that needs to be considered.

Inorganic carbon—GAC, graphite, buckyballs, diamonds, etc., can’t be metabolized to alkalinity by the stuff in your tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbo-Calcium and other one-part Ca/Alk supplements (other than kalk) get their alk component from acetate, formate, or other organic carbon sources. They are metabolized to alkalinity by bacteria in the system. Nothing wrong with them at all; just a factor that needs to be considered.

Inorganic carbon—GAC, graphite, buckyballs, diamonds, etc., can’t be metabolized to alkalinity by the stuff in your tank.
I wasn't talking about 1 part alkalinity/Calcium supplements per se - I was talking about dosing CaCl and Bicarb or soda ash. (which I thought you were ignoring). By ionic balance - you're talking about Cl - Sulfate ratio - isnt that taken care of by dosing the appropriate amount of Mg SO4/Cl? I am not trying to debate you - I just found Kalkwasser messy, a hassle and unstable - as compared to 2 part dosing. (I was doing it in an ATO) -

Last edited:

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't talking about 1 part alkalinity/Calcium supplements per se - I was talking about dosing CaCl and Bicarb or soda ash. (which I thought you were ignoring). By ionic balance - you're talking about Cl - Sulfate ratio - isnt that taken care of by dosing the appropriate amount of Mg SO4/Cl? I am not trying to debate you - I just found Kalkwasser messy, a hassle and unstable - as compared to 2 part dosing. (I was doing it in an ATO) -

No worries. Not entirely sure I follow your question, but yes, that’s the balance I was referring to and agree the MgCl/SO4 approach evens things out for all practical purposes.

I’m a fan of kalk. I haven’t had issues with dosing it, and I like the elegance of the chemistry. To my mind it’s the simplest and best approach where it meets demand.

That said...it’s a matter of preference. No judgment here!

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your rule of thumb for dosing the kw? I know different people do it differently. Just asking for baselines. I just noticed my oh trending down a bit now.l been a week or so with the reactor running. So I think I am getting close to being fully seeded now.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what everyone is m use to dose to keep alkalinity up? I know the stand by is kent 2 part but I was wondering if and what else there is for this
I use Neptune Apex dosing system and keep my levels around 9-9.5.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what everyone is m use to dose to keep alkalinity up? I know the stand by is kent 2 part but I was wondering if and what else there is for this

I compare the pros and cons of many methods here. None is "best".

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great paper Randy. Like all things reef there never seems to be that 1 thing that is just perfect. I wanted to see what people are using or still using. I think I am going to stay with pickling lime. Not sayings it's the best but it is something I am completely comfortable with. This far I have not seen a drastic oh drop from my reactor. And if it stays like this I don't think I am going to do much more dosing than I already do. If it starts to drop my oh a lot then pickling lime it is ...I really appreciate everyone's input here.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back