All fish congregate in one area....?

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gallon, long. All of the fish like one corner of the tank. That's where they sleep at night. It is where they go when they're not actively swimming around. It is their "home". Even the engineers - added yesterday, dug their hole in this corner.

A Clownfish pair, 2 green chromis, 1 juvenile Caribbean blue tang, and 2 juvenile engineer gobies.

The tang - called her female when she arrived, also named her Ralph- long story - she has her favorite hidey hole, and that's where she is if she's not hanging out with the others.

But 6 out of 7 fish can almost always be found in one area.

Is this normal? I figured they would find their own spots. Or rather, expected.

I need more flow, but currently there are 2 pumps, placed in the same spot on each side, on the back facing the middle front. I figured this was the best option for flow at the moment. These are not as strong as I need. Also intake and return from a canister filter.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many heaters do you have? And are they placed in that area? Just throwing out a wild guess

OP
OP
P

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Hadn't thought about that. The heater is off center towards that side. But I have thermometers on both sides. I will go check them.... hold that thought

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your heater is on one side of the tank, your fish will congregate near it and stay towards that side of the tank. I know from experience, it took me a good month or so to figure it out. I had one heater in my 125 and all the fish stayed on that side of the tank. I got a second heater to even things out for the baby bangaiis I raise on the opposite side of the tank (because they require higher temps) and boom, everyone was spread out throughout the tank

OP
OP
P

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thermometers on both ends say 78. But I also know that the area closest to the heater will always be a bit warmer. I had a second heater but I couldnt get them to the right temp. It was running too warm. Kept turning them down. Finally just took out one heater and let it be.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 eheims, one on each side of the tank close to wavemakers so the heat disperses. It took me a couple hours, but have them dialed in. Once they are set, they are pretty much set. Once I did that, my fish were willing to explore more of the tank and sleep in more than one location. The only fish that dont move from their spot are my firefish that have shacked up in their cave and only really come out for food. Hope this all has helped

OP
OP
P

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I moved the heater more towards the middle, which is where the return flow is also. We will see how this affects everyone. It's not that I mind them all being in the same spot. I just thought it was odd.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too when I was in the same scenario. If possible, with a large tank like you have, I'd put the second heater back in. It might take a little time and tinkering to get the temp just right, but that second heater can be a better means of evening out the heat dispersing through the system and can also act as a safe fail in case one of the heaters decides to kick the bucket. Better to be safe than sorry

OP
OP
P

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too when I was in the same scenario. If possible, with a large tank like you have, I'd put the second heater back in. It might take a little time and tinkering to get the temp just right, but that second heater can be a better means of evening out the heat dispersing through the system and can also act as a safe fail in case one of the heaters decides to kick the bucket. Better to be safe than sorry
As soon as I figure out what I did with it, I will put it back in.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. When I come to the tank they come over to where I'm at. Little aquatic piggies. I love fishies
It cracks me up! I can condense 90+% of the fish mass in my tank into about 1.5 cubic feet of space just by standing near the end of the tank. It's ridiculous!

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cracks me up! I can condense 90+% of the fish mass in my tank into about 1.5 cubic feet of space just by standing near the end of the tank. It's ridiculous!
They get even closer if you hold up an algae sheet, tell them they are good boys, and try to give them kisses through the glass....... at least that's according to my fiance

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
P

Pudge&Bubbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend a controller for all aquarium heaters. When they fail on the fish will suffer without a controller.
I've definitely thought about it. I've stopped pretty much everything, things have not gone the way I planned or wanted. My budget is gone. Things are kind of stuck the way they are "until further notice" :(

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6ft, 125 gallon tank. And they all tend to congregate on the right side of my tank. I have a sump with 2 heaters in it, so it's not anything like that. I always just figured the flow must be slightly different on that side of the tank. The only fish that never stayed over there was a red lined wrasse I use to have. He cruised the entire tank, never staying in one spot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back