Status
Not open for further replies.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on what to do about my corals? or is it a case of binning everything and starting again?

If your tank is only 100-150 gallons why not spend $30 on salt mix and change 100% of your water? Would only take a couple hours and could solve all your problems. No need to wait for RO water in this case tap will work just fine. That is minimal time and expense to possibly save much time and expense down the line.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this is my plan. I have done what I can with the corals and put them on some fresh rock rubble I have spare, I have some fresh saltwater and bags which I have put all my corals in and going to drive down this evening after dinner to my office (about 2 hour drive) and put them in my office tank until such time I can empty and clean my home tank and cycle it again with some new rock.
On a plus side I can start a build thread of this 'new' tank from scratch while I plan my other dream build.
is this plan ok do you think?

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have your windows open? Maybe a neighbor sprayed some pesticides or something and it came in through an open window
Its worth a shot going to ask them as I do leave my windows open a crack, but my nearest neighbour is about 50 yards away.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, I'm so sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses that really sucks

Electricity is a fiercely debated topic in aquariums and reef tanks even amongst qualified electricians, but it would be the very first thing i investigated one item at a time if suffering a sudden catastrophic loss like you have

I am no electrician but one thing the majority seem to agree upon in forum threads is the grounding probe is there to protect us from stray current (which of course takes priority) but allows any current in the water to flow to ground which would kill fish even with a gfci device that moment can be enough before it trips (if it trips)..like the bird on the wire with all that voltage they are fine but pop a grounding probe on them and it really doesnt end well for the bird

Personally I would check carefully wearing rubber gloves and a voltmeter each piece if equipment and also examine your setup as even moisture near sockets etc could provide a pathway to the water for electric to flow which could be a one off freak happening or have the potential to re-occur

Its worth bearing in mind if only to rule it out.....please stay safe

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses that really sucks

Electricity is a fiercely debated topic in aquariums and reef tanks even amongst qualified electricians, but it would be the very first thing i investigated one item at a time if suffering a sudden catastrophic loss like you have

I am no electrician but one thing the majority seem to agree upon in forum threads is the grounding probe is there to protect us from stray current (which of course takes priority) but allows any current in the water to flow to ground which would kill fish even with a gfci device that moment can be enough before it trips (if it trips)..like the bird on the wire with all that voltage they are fine but pop a grounding probe on them and it really doesnt end well for the bird

Personally I would check carefully wearing rubber gloves and a voltmeter each piece if equipment and also examine your setup as even moisture near sockets etc could provide a pathway to the water for electric to flow which could be a one off freak happening or have the potential to re-occur

Its worth bearing in mind if only to rule it out.....please stay safe
Thank you I will get an electrician out tomorrow to check for me.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to read this. It sucks to lose your pets, especially when it's so hard to figure out why.

Low oxygen will quickly kill both fish and corals. One evening the MP10 on my Red Sea Max got a shell in it so I turned it off, thinking I would fix it in the morning.

Even though the return pump was still running, almost all the fish were dead in the morning, and many of the corals. A lone clownfish was gasping at the surface in obvious distress. I turned the MP10 back on and heavily aerated, and the surviving clown recovered within an hour.

So, look hard at your system to make sure that your circulation pump or skimmer isn't intermittent for some reason. IMHO, this is the most likely cause. Pesticides or other airborne contaminants, as well as sabotage, are still possibilities. When you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras. Unless you're at a zoo or in Africa!

Hope you feel better soon.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sad to read this thread and I'm so terribly sorry for your losses. I would feel awful, too, but please don't beat yourself up. I lost a beloved tang I had had for 6 years a few months ago and I still don't know what happened. I hope you can find the cause and get back to enjoying the hobby. Chin up! :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok so this is my plan. I have done what I can with the corals and put them on some fresh rock rubble I have spare, I have some fresh saltwater and bags which I have put all my corals in and going to drive down this evening after dinner to my office (about 2 hour drive) and put them in my office tank until such time I can empty and clean my home tank and cycle it again with some new rock.
On a plus side I can start a build thread of this 'new' tank from scratch while I plan my other dream build.
I like the positive attitude and plan and sounds like it will work.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it but do you have any inverts in your tank? Hermits, snails, shrimp?? Are they alive? I would think an electricity jolt would harm them too.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will get an electrician out tomorrow to check for me.

That's great, even though it may not be the most probable or popular of possibilities
( "ridicule is nothing to be scared of" ) it is the only one that can potentially cause harm to or even kill you.... so that is why it is always best to eliminate that possibility as a first priority

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry to hear about your tank.
Are all the Fauna OK? Corals seem to be relatively unaffected.
Certainly O2 depletion at night can be the cause for Fish wipe out but not corals. If your tank have a skimmer, then O2 depletion can be rule out unless it got shut down somehow last night.
What left to consider is some toxin that is selective got into the tank somehow. Somebody clean the tank with Windex (or other ammonia base) Glass cleaner?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Might" be worth it to also dip the corals? Just in case? As we don't know what happened to your tank, and you don't want to introduce whatever that was to your office tank. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back