OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is perfume, you don't have to throw away all the rocks. Just ditch the sand. Don't have to sterile the tank either. It will uncomplicated your set up a bit, cheaper too.
I don't have sand its bb and i'm a bit ocd so its more for peace of mind than anything else.
But thank you for the information

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never in a million years would I think it could be something that happened 2 months ago.
But it is nice to know what happened as it removes any doubts about stray electric which was really worrying me to be honest.
Corals haven't made it unfortunately, they are all stripping rapidly and some have stripped completely.
So on with the show as they say in Hollywood (I think).
Strip tank, wash and steralise.
Take out all equipment wash and steralise.
Buy some new rock.
Buy the same fish.
Buy some new corals
Start a build thread of tank take 2
Do you think that you need to get rid of everything? Maybe you can just run some heavy carbon and purigen? You have an established biofilter. That's worth something.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m so sorry but also have no clue on what the cause could be I’ve had things corals fish gradually die but never all at once in one night
That’s just scary

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@windemerejack I've been following your thread, and I'm so very sorry to hear what happened. I suppose it's "good news / bad news" about figuring out that it was the perfume -- so it's nothing that you did wrong or a reflection upon your skills.

It sounds like you're "rebooting" your tank so perhaps take this as a chance to make the changes you always wanted to make but couldn't. I'm only ten months into my tank as a newbie and I already have learned so many things that I would do differently. So I hope you can view this as "version 2.0".

Good luck!

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this thread and am so sorry for your loss. I know how gutted I was after losing fish. Glad you are hanging in there! Good luck.

PoorKchoP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish are dead this morning, I don't know why and I am heartbroken at my loss.
Yellow tang
Lineatus wrasse
mccoskers wrasse
one spot rabbit fish
harlequin tusk fish
flame angel
coral beauty
flame hawk
All dead, everything was fine last night, nothing added in a while, all tests show normal, temp normal, salinity normal, nothing obvious on the fish, corals have no polyp extension and looking a bit dismal.
I can't think of anything else to test for, everything just seems so normal, water is clear, skimmer is skimming normally, all pumps are working fine, im at a complete loss.
Very upset at this, particularly my flame hawk, it was the only fish left from my late fathers tank.
PH normal?

Neostyles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar happen to me and it came from a voltage leak from my UV sterilizer.

James Kanouff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would do a 25% water change after I took a triton sample to send it off for analysis and in 30 days go find a clown fish or two drop in there and see how it goes if you’re really worried you could also run maybe a double dose of carbon or something to make sure it comes out but it’s highly unlikely if it’s not killing the Corals that’s going to hurt any new fish. They are the more hearty of the two. From reading all this I agree with everybody else probably some sort of an aerosol or something or power loss lack of oxygen happened undetected. Maybe the ato water???

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang!! I'm so sorry for the loss of all your fish that sucks !!

People that don't keep fish just think so what just flush it down the toilet but man that really sucks I feel you.

On the new tank perhaps a lid? I run a rimless tank no lid I like the look, but I built a lid for those times I'm not around for a extended period of time also work good when nieces are around that might throw foreign objects into the tank.

czynot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing power lost during the night. Oxygen drop, ammonia spiked and took out the fish.

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses...hopefully you can find the cause so it doesnt happen again in the future.

MaverickCoast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put my money on something from the air getting into the tank, like an aerosol or other airborne "poison".

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send a water sample into a lab they will check for things you and I can't.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined the thread late but just wanted to add my condolences for your loss. Whilst you can’t replace what you held dear you sound like a seasoned Reefer so I’m sure you will soon have a new reef to feel good about. Hopefully you’ve forgiven the culprit!?

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined the thread late but just wanted to add my condolences for your loss. Whilst you can’t replace what you held dear you sound like a seasoned Reefer so I’m sure you will soon have a new reef to feel good about. Hopefully you’ve forgiven the culprit!?
Yeah ive forgiven her, she is only 5 bless her.
The Phoenix will rise, as somebody in the thread put it.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH normal?
I had something similar happen to me and it came from a voltage leak from my UV sterilizer.
I’m guessing power lost during the night. Oxygen drop, ammonia spiked and took out the fish.
Send a water sample into a lab they will check for things you and I can't.

Jeebus, go back a page, you will see what the actual reason was. Spoiler: All of you are wrong lol

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of had the feeling that someone put something harmful into the tank but perfume would have been the last on my list.
Also, even if your niece didn't do it with mal intent and you don't hold it against her it might be worth checking if this is covered by the liability insurance of her parents - after all, this is a substantial financial hit and precisely the kind of thing people have insurance for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back