All my fish died because of the ich medication

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm empathetic to your fish loss. I'm certainly not looking to be a compiler here. We've all made mistakes and I appreciate your willingness to share your experience. With creating content in public forums like YouTube and R2R should come with some responsibility and expected feedback. Apologies if I am off base but that tank was not ready for those fish. Regardless of how effective that product is or is not and based on at least the time frame of your YouTube videos. That tank appears to be two weeks old and possibly not cycled. I think some posted parameters would help tell your story and that audience you're challenging.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for your loss, it sucks. Going through it myself with knocking out a bad flukes infestation. But as what others said too much, too fast in terms of adding stock to a freshly started tank. Tangs are historically ich magnets, especially what looks to be a Powder Brown.

That herbtana isn't a real fix for ich, it's just a hair above utter garbage.

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to debate the effectiveness of the medication. All I will say is that in the early days of my tank I battled ich. I used Kordon Herbal Ich treatment and within a week I had no more white spots and have not seen any in the year since.
I also set up a FW planted tank with neons and Rams that also had ich. Dosed with same product and within week no more white spots. Snake oil? I don’t know but my clown and firefish, as are the FW fish are still alive and healthy. I also didn’t lose and plants or verts.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it happen Just at the Second dose

Perhaps it has some effect on oxygen or something and pushed over fish that were on deaths door.

If you step back and take a look at the severe condition of those fish. They needed basically emergency care with a dip and into quarantine with proper medication. Some bottled herbs were not going to help save them.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe that the medication is the main cause. it seems that they were on the brink of death and when you added the medication it stressed them out even more.
As mentioned earlier; we all do mistakes but little research could've made this story end in a very different way.
Sorry for your loss.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish were sick such that they required treatment then died during treatment, how exactly are you determining the treatment was the cause as opposed to the reason for treatment, that they were sick fish!

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. :(

I am pretty nervous about parasites myself and my tank is dry and my dead rock is in a bucket. I have not even put water in it yet. This is like a horror movie for reefers.

After seeing situations like this I think my first tank to get water will be the quarantine tank and fish will come in one at a time before getting called up to the big leagues of my show tank. I can see starting with some clowns after they pass quarantine and slowly adding from there. Maybe a few grazers once I get Nasty stuff growing.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just knew I’d come back today and this thread would be pages long lol
5B428C43-BE6E-42C2-8A78-94D507FE3021.gif

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the YouTube channel and watched the tank setup, yeah Herbalife didn’t kill these fish… OP made a petco trip, setup a marine tank like a freshwater tank without cycling, industrial blasting sand and tap water (the pirate ship should’ve told us all we need to know…)

OP: you should take responsibility for your own mistakes, nearly everything in your setup is not appropriate to keeping marine fish. Don’t blame the manufacturer. Do thorough research if you want to keep marine fish.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the YouTube channel and watched the tank setup, yeah Herbalife or whatever didn’t kill these fish… op made a petco trip, setup a marine tank like a freshwater tank without a cycle and tap water. The pirate ship should’ve told us all we need to know…

OP: take responsibility for your own mistakes, don’t blame the manufacturer. Do thorough research if you want to keep marine fish. It’s a whole different ballgame.
op is also demanding the manufacturer to refund him for his live stock...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the YouTube channel and watched the tank setup, yeah Herbalife didn’t kill these fish… OP made a petco trip, setup a marine tank like a freshwater tank without cycling, industrial blasting sand and tap water (the pirate ship should’ve told us all we need to know…)

OP: you should take responsibility for your own mistakes, nearly everything in your setup is not appropriate to keeping marine fish. Don’t blame the manufacturer. Do thorough research if you want to keep marine fish.
Yeah, I'm going to have to concur with this. This is barely a saltwater setup. The only question here wasn't if something was going to die - but how long it was going to take.

Badfish405

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this video you say ich destroyed your other fish?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things to point out. First, as a moderator - let's keep our comments kind and supportive. It is likely true that the fish deaths could have been prevented, and good advice is contained in many of these posts - it's against the TOS to belittle people. We are a welcoming community. Let's focus on educating rather than cutting people down, please.

As a fish disease and treatment nerd, herbtana isn't a suitable treatment. At best, it may qualify as a bit of a preventative but standalone it won't do that, IMO. As mentioned, to treat ich/velvet you need CP, Copper, or to utilize hyposalinity.

I am not going to debate the effectiveness of the medication. All I will say is that in the early days of my tank I battled ich. I used Kordon Herbal Ich treatment and within a week I had no more white spots and have not seen any in the year since.
I also set up a FW planted tank with neons and Rams that also had ich. Dosed with same product and within week no more white spots. Snake oil? I don’t know but my clown and firefish, as are the FW fish are still alive and healthy. I also didn’t lose and plants or verts.
This was likely your fish building a natural immunity to it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back