Status
Not open for further replies.

emilystelck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish died overnight. Everyone looked great last night. I added a couple new fish yesterday, did not change water. Did not quarantine these fish because I’ve had such good luck and everyone has always been fine after temperature acclimation. Most of these fish have been in the tank already for 2-3 weeks.

ph about 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Alkalinity 200
Hardness 300
Temperature 78

Deceased fish:
sailfin blenny x2
Royal dotty back
Clown fish x 2
Arrow crab
Snowflake eel
Blue Koran angel
Blonde naso tang
Hawkfish
green long tentacle anemone

Alive still:
Pink spotted watchman goby x 2
Emerald crab x 2
Hermit crabs
Chocolate Chip Star Fish
Two different types of coral (I think they’re alive?)

Not seen yet and assuming deceased in caves:
Caribbean Octopus
Black and white Heniochus
Striped Blenny
Pajama Cardinal

I’m also relatively new to salt water tanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very upset over the situation. Also to add, none of the fish have any visible spots, wounds, discoloration, slime or anything on them. They’re just dead.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal, are their any tell tale signs of ammonia causing the death of fish?
No, not really. People may report seeing "ammonia burns", and I've seen fish actually breath slower with high ammonia, but I generally use the ammonia reading to tell me what's up. This case is odd - when only fish die, and the inverts are all fine, it is generally an undiagnosed fish disease. In this case, she lost a crab and an anemone. That could be coincidental, but I'm inclined to think there was something wrong with the environment - high ammonia, or some toxin.

Jay

Upvote 0

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution there should be a big * on that 1 fish/10 gallon of water rule. There's obviously a big difference between 1 chromis and 1 blue tang...much less 10 chromis vs 10 blue tangs. I wouldn't worry much about the ratio of fish/gallon but rather focus on their potential mature size/bioload.

I'm sure this is what you meant, but wanted to clarify this for anyone "new" to the hobby reading this thread.
Yeah that's why right after I mentioned size also being a factor :)

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've said that the tank is two years old, but the statements above sound like it was only recently set up as a salt water tank. I doubt anyone that was successfully running a salt water tank for two years would describe themselves as "new".

So I guess my question is how long has the tank been running as a salt water setup? Because if it's less than a couple months to half a year, that's an enormous bioload to put in a tank in "2-3 weeks".
What's confusing is she said she added a couple fish recently but then told me whe added an eel and octopus most recently?

I'm guessing the octopus also with dying under a rock and nuking the tank. Doesn't sound like there is enough filtration or water turbulence to keep adequate 02 levels either......sad

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's confusing is she said she added a couple fish recently but then told me whe added an eel and octopus most recently?

I'm guessing the octopus also with dying under a rock and nuking the tank. Doesn't sound like there is enough filtration or water turbulence to keep adequate 02 levels either......sad

I missed the eel and the octopus. Eels are primary predators of octopus....that will never work out.

Low dissolved oxygen could well be the issue - that would explain the anemone dying (those have high oxygen requirements).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emilystelck

emilystelck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's define what you mean by "tank" just so we can understand the situation. Did you take it with all of the rock and sand and filter etc intact... that stuff was all 2 years old as well?

I'm with the "the octopus croaked and killed everything else" vote on this, but I'm getting the sense that perhaps the tank wasn't aged and cycled enough to support everything you had in it. So, everything else aside (assuming that's the case) ya gotta take a slow-go approach to everything in this hobby.

Btw, don't feel too bad. I managed to destroy a tank of my own once. I think I was lazy about water replacement, stressed everything out until my anemone (or something) kicked the bucket and wiped out everything with it. And it happened in mere hours.
No. It was literally an empty tank and stand. I purchased everything else myself under guidance of salesmen in stores and customer service reps of online sites and other salt water enthusiasts that I know. I’m the director of an animal hospital so I run into a lot of people with different animals/tanks/etc. so I talked to a lot of our clients too. I think I got a lot of misinformation and not enough warnings or cautions. I feel so defeated. This forum has been more help than anyone that I talked to, that’s for sure.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish died overnight. Everyone looked great last night. I added a couple new fish yesterday, did not change water. Did not quarantine these fish because I’ve had such good luck and everyone has always been fine after temperature acclimation. Most of these fish have been in the tank already for 2-3 weeks.

ph about 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Alkalinity 200
Hardness 300
Temperature 78

Deceased fish:
sailfin blenny x2
Royal dotty back
Clown fish x 2
Arrow crab
Snowflake eel
Blue Koran angel
Blonde naso tang
Hawkfish

Alive still:
Emerald crab x 2
Hermit crabs
Chocolate Chip Star Fish

Caribbean Octopus
Striped Blenny
Pajama Cardinal

I’m also relatively new to salt water tanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very upset over the situation. Also to add, none of the fish have any visible spots, wounds, discoloration, slime or anything on them. They’re just dead.

You need a new lfs. Whoever sold you those, especially the octopus, is irresponsible. That many fish in a 2 to 3 week period, plus the octopus, to a brand new reef keeper is highly irresponsible of an lfs to do. This is not your fault, but rather a store or employees who cared more about the money than your success and the lives of the organisms in the tank.

Again, I am not criticizing you, but rather the extremely careless and I'll advising people who sold you all of these

Upvote 1

O.H.M marine solutio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph about 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Alkalinity 200
Hardness 300
Temperature 78

Deceased fish:
sailfin blenny x2
Royal dotty back
Clown fish x 2
Arrow crab
Snowflake eel
Blue Koran angel
Blonde naso tang
Hawkfish

Alive still:
Emerald crab x 2
Hermit crabs
Chocolate Chip Star Fish

Caribbean Octopus
Striped Blenny
Pajama Cardinal

Hi there,
Have you checked the oxygen level in your aquarium? Don't confuse oxygen with normal air. Normal air is what is delivered by your air pump and oxygen level within the normal air should be checked if you are using Co2 for the reef growth. Low carbon is a good thing whereas high carbon level is deadly for fish. Also take into consideration low oxygen level as well as high oxygen level is very bad for your fish.

Secondly a sudden temperature change can kill your fish. Marine fish are very fragile.

Do a recheck of the ppm parameters of the water 2 to 3 weeks is the ideal death time is water parameters aren't correct. Check the required parameters for each dead fish separately. If still not sure I am available on [email protected]. Hope you already found the causes and the remedies.

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It was literally an empty tank and stand. I purchased everything else myself under guidance of salesmen in stores and customer service reps of online sites and other salt water enthusiasts that I know. I’m the director of an animal hospital so I run into a lot of people with different animals/tanks/etc. so I talked to a lot of our clients too. I think I got a lot of misinformation and not enough warnings or cautions. I feel so defeated. This forum has been more help than anyone that I talked to, that’s for sure.
So your tank has only been operational for a few weeks then?

Upvote 0

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The age of the tank everybody is talking about, means how long has it been setup with a filter, rock, sand, and water. At 3 weeks setup with all that livestock, the answer is clear. Ammonia poisoning. Adding that many fish to a 3 week old tank will cause a massive ammonia spike. And so you're aware, ammonia is highly deadly to these creatures.

It is imperative that you get a correct ammonia reading, then without hesitation dose seachem prime at the correct dose. This will buy you some time.

Next you need to get out anything dead as dead organics break down into more ammonia.

Most of your fish are goners, but the creatures still alive are going through hell and need help.

You were given bad advice, well horribly unforgivable advice. You should tell us the name of the lfs so everyone knows to avoid them like the plague.

Upvote 0

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For high ammonia you need to do the following.

First dose seachem prime to neutralize the ammonia temporarily.

Second do a series of large water changes over the next week to get the ammonia out.

Third add fritz turbo start for saltwater. This has bacteria in it to seed your tank. These bacteria are what eats ammonia and eventually turns it into a much less toxic nitrate. It takes time for them to establish, but I have used turbo start multiple times and it really works fast.

Upvote 0

O.H.M marine solutio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a better ammonia test kit. Not showing ammonia after all these dead fish that were just added and already straining the biological filtration is impossible. There is ammonia with so many dead fish, almost a certainty.
I agree with you. It's impossible to have 0 ppm of ammonia with dead organism in the water. Also she mentioned dead creatures in the cave with 0 ppm ammonia reading is impossible. I believe her test kit is the cheap thing you can buy anywhere online with poor or false calibration

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emilystelck

emilystelck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a new lfs. Whoever sold you those, especially the octopus, is irresponsible. That many fish in a 2 to 3 week period, plus the octopus, to a brand new reef keeper is highly irresponsible of an lfs to do. This is not your fault, but rather a store or employees who cared more about the money than your success and the lives of the organisms in the tank.

Again, I am not criticizing you, but rather the extremely careless and I'll advising people who sold you all of these
That’s okay. I understand that I had misinformation. I guess I didn’t think to question the “professionals.” Now I know though. Lucky to have found this forum.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s okay. I understand that I had misinformation. I guess I didn’t think to question the “professionals.” Now I know though. Lucky to have found this forum.

Again I want to make sure you understand that this isn't your fault. Sometimes you just got to keep on swimming :)

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish died overnight. Everyone looked great last night. I added a couple new fish yesterday, did not change water. Did not quarantine these fish because I’ve had such good luck

I'd say your luck has run out.

The only thing left to do is pick up the pieces. All your fish are dead, so I would start with a 90 fallow period. Yes, I know that is more than recommended, but why not be certain before adding new fish?

Upvote 0

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok, when you get a chance post some pictures of your tank and filtration system so everyone understands what your working with and can provide you some guidance.

Also please give us your water salinity when you can....thanks
Maybe your salinity is off, I was topping of work new saltwater not rodi when I first started.... That was a mess

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emilystelck

emilystelck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The age of the tank everybody is talking about, means how long has it been setup with a filter, rock, sand, and water. At 3 weeks setup with all that livestock, the answer is clear. Ammonia poisoning. Adding that many fish to a 3 week old tank will cause a massive ammonia spike. And so you're aware, ammonia is highly deadly to these creatures.

It is imperative that you get a correct ammonia reading, then without hesitation dose seachem prime at the correct dose. This will buy you some time.

Next you need to get out anything dead as dead organics break down into more ammonia.

Most of your fish are goners, but the creatures still alive are going through hell and need help.

You were given bad advice, well horribly unforgivable advice. You should tell us the name of the lfs so everyone knows to avoid them like the plague.
I have everything dead out. No one every told me about Seachem prime until this forum either… I mostly used the websites: Reef Beauties, Pete’s Aquarium, Salt Water Fish, and Salt Water Fish Store. A lot of our correspondences were email. I did use two stores near Minneapolis that had great reputations so I don’t want to hinder their name. Maybe I just got unlucky with salesmen. I did use PetSmart and Petco. The only thing I got from PetSmart though was Live Rock and she assured me that it’s safe for salt water tanks even though they don’t even sell salt water fish. Petco gal seemed the most knowledgeable of any reps I talked to. Fish that I had said were still alive are dead now. My husband told me. And the missing fish that I hadn’t seen were all found deceased as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
emilystelck

emilystelck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say your luck has run out.

The only thing left to do is pick up the pieces. All your fish are dead, so I would start with a 90 fallow period. Yes, I know that is more than recommended, but why not be certain before adding new fish?
I plan to drain the whole tank, take everything out and start fresh. I can be patient. I want it to be right. I’m so thankful for all this information on the forum. I learned more here than anywhere I talked to people.

Upvote 0

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. It was literally an empty tank and stand. I purchased everything else myself under guidance of salesmen in stores and customer service reps of online sites and other salt water enthusiasts that I know. ... I think I got a lot of misinformation and not enough warnings or cautions. I feel so defeated.
Okay, so I think we've gotten to the bottom of the issue. The tank simply wasn't ready for that much livestock.

Don't feel defeated. It's just part of the learning curve sometimes. An expensive part, to be sure, but no need to feel like giving up. You just got mountains of bad advice.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back