Status
Not open for further replies.

emilystelck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish died overnight. Everyone looked great last night. I added a couple new fish yesterday, did not change water. Did not quarantine these fish because I’ve had such good luck and everyone has always been fine after temperature acclimation. Most of these fish have been in the tank already for 2-3 weeks.

ph about 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Alkalinity 200
Hardness 300
Temperature 78

Deceased fish:
sailfin blenny x2
Royal dotty back
Clown fish x 2
Arrow crab
Snowflake eel
Blue Koran angel
Blonde naso tang
Hawkfish
green long tentacle anemone

Alive still:
Pink spotted watchman goby x 2
Emerald crab x 2
Hermit crabs
Chocolate Chip Star Fish
Two different types of coral (I think they’re alive?)

Not seen yet and assuming deceased in caves:
Caribbean Octopus
Black and white Heniochus
Striped Blenny
Pajama Cardinal

I’m also relatively new to salt water tanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Very upset over the situation. Also to add, none of the fish have any visible spots, wounds, discoloration, slime or anything on them. They’re just dead.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@emilystelck Sorry for the losses. My guess is low oxygen or ammonia that has been suggested although I do wonder if disease would have eventually became a problem.

I would go very slow from here on out... do not add a lot of fish quickly. Research heavily. A wild reef wasn't built in a month or even a year. It takes many years for our tanks to really reach true stability. Enjoy the journey... it is not a race.

Baxter as in near brainerd? That is where I was born :) Not a lot for fish stores last time I lived there.

Upvote 1

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would a vet know about prime unless they deal with fish. My vet don't know crap about fish. When I asked for some meds... I had to bring in paperwork on the disease and treatment to get it...
Same. I called mine once to ask about tank-sitting, if anyone there keeps fish (I got my cat-sitter that way, she’s staff), and they didn’t know anything about fish.

Upvote 0

Billabong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know. No one said anything. They said everything was fine.
I'm so very sorry to read any of this. Like everyone has said here... we add fish slowly over time. It all depends on the size of your tank, total water volume.
I just cycled a 100 gallon setup, added 5 Chromis Wednesday. I'm waiting a month before adding a pair of clowns. So on, and so forth.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your losses. If you have any questions about livestock you can post the question here. I agree with others that this sounds like an ammonia spike most likely from the octopus. They are not beginner level inhabitants. I think I read you are using test strips. Get rid of those and get proper test kits like salifert, etc. Also.. what is your salinity (and what are you using to measure it)? You didn't mention that.

Those parameters you posted, were those taken after the die off event? I would suggest testing again to see if these have changed or you might have a whole tank crash.

The other thing... you said the tank is 2 yrs old so have you been doing this for 2 yrs with this tank or did you recently buy this tank from a fellow reefer? I'm a bit confused by this.

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the-office-walk-away.gif

Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't disagree more.

The information is all over the place (R2R, any other saltwater forum, just a basic internet search) if people bothered to do 15 minutes of research before purchasing a pretty Nemos or Dorys.

If people are either so naive/lazy or ignorant to just jump into something without doing as much as a simple google-searches-worth of research, then I have no sympathy for them... They probably don't have the capacity to care for any kind of living thing...
This.

And I feel like what should be triggering is seeing the posts like this and realizing that it’s not that uncommon. The octopus is a bit extreme, but it’s not uncommon for ppl to decide to set up a tank, and just do it and put a bunch of stuff in right away.

My sister asked me if I was going to get seahorses when I first got my tank. And I was like ??? She had no idea that they require special care and a species-only tank. Then other family members were disappointed that I didn’t have fish for so long (cycling), and when I got fish they were disappointed I only have “small” fish (I have a 20g).

If folks are not doing the right research or don’t have someone to set them straight, it’s actually pretty likely this type of thing will be the result.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FairbanksReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only 5 pages into this tread so if someone else said it already sorry. I recommend watching as much YouTube about how to set up and care for a reef tank as you have time for. A good place to start is Bulk Reef Supplies 52 weeks of reefing. Its a year long series about every single step with a ton of detail. They are a supplier so they try to sell stuff but that being said its all good info and should get you to a good starting point. Also if its possible, find yourself a mentor, one person that has an amazing reef tank and can help you step by step so you don't get 500 different people giving 500 different opinions.

There is an expression in the hobby "nothing good happens fast in reefing".

When I started my first tank I let it cycle for like 6 weeks and then added like 2 fish and a few hermits and snails and then went 6 more weeks before adding again. And then I added another 2 fish and some more clean up. The key is consistency, weekly 15% or so water changes, consistent water top off, stable parameters.

Upvote 0

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything was helpful but I have seen much worse on here directed at me haha! There was a huge loss of life consisting of some of the more beautiful oceans fish and 1 very intelligent cephalopod. The gravity of this should not be underestimated. It is reckless situations like this that actually make me contemplate the ethics of this hobby. I have a 235 gallon tank to give my animals the best possible life. But situations like this are just so common, maybe not quite the this extent but you get it. Not all this falls on the OP, and what I said was not ment to blame her. The lfs in question has some serious explaining to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 2

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FRIENDLY REMINDER

A fair number of posts were removed. I will remind you that we are a family friendly site that offers advice in a positive way. If you can't add to the discussion in a positive way, say nothing and move on.

Upvote 0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@emilystelck Find your center piece fish. Feel free to ask about it's care and tank mates. Make that your starting point.
My center piece died from flukes. Seriously, I was ready for everything, but flukes. I have been reluctant to get another red margin fairy since that loss. Try to log your build. Log your water parameters weekly for a month. There are quick ways to cycle. But for some fish, the tank needs to be mature. GL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s rewind and look at the original post again …..

And after checking . This is the op only post , never commented ,

ammonia , nitrate levels are all zero .
I think I counted 15 between fish , eel
, octopi ,
No mention of tank size . No pictures of the tank that I was able to see .

who should accept the blame for adding all these creatures to a tank that’s clearly not ready . The consumer buying the livestock clearly hasn’t educated themselves of the creatures care but constantly added more .
Even in my 230 gal , I know not to add this much livestock in a short period of time .
Never mind being able to afford the cost in such a short
Time .
I prey the op comments or clears everything a little .
before this thread if locked by admins .

Attachments

• 9C6D3928-17A0-4E12-88EC-05616DDAC6DE.png
    9C6D3928-17A0-4E12-88EC-05616DDAC6DE.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoever sold OP all that is doing a disservice to this hobby. What a shame.
Agreed!!! We have two LFS here in OKC and they have always been very good/clear on what can and cannot be homed together. The octopus is a concern for me as well. That little dude requires so much attention/ security, lol! Plus it sounds like it had its own little ready made buffet. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like there may have been to many critters in your tank too fast...I learned that lesson a few years back when I started. I also learned that you always take a risk not doing QT on new inhabitants. I've gotten into the habit of now buying from places that pre quarantine, ex. Live aquaria divers den. There are others as well you just need to do the research. I do that now because my QT tank bit the dust and haven't gotten around to setting up another. Most of the reputable sites also give you a great synopsis of the fish and such...aggressive, not aggressive, do well alone or with a pair ect. Good luck and remember to use the experience on this site, alot of the folks on here have been doing this for years ( me only about 5, which I consider myself still new to the saltwater game. Im always learning and usually the hardway)

Upvote 0

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming I should take everything out, clean everything, probably replace all my live plants and stuff too and fallow for a couple months?
I think they recommend fallow for 6 months if it's a unknown parasite ect. I did 6 months fallow after fighting ick and velvelt for several months after I started and ended up losing all my fish ( at the time I only a handful, but still heart breaking). Haven't had and issue like that since...QT is the key!

Upvote 0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was my post removed? It wasn't negative or unfriendly.

There was a large number of posts removed. I will go back and look for your post, but if there was quotes of unacceptable posts, inference to insults or negative comments, the post was removed.

EDIT TO ADD:
@JCM I found your post and it was removed not because of your actual comment, but because it included an unacceptable quote. Thanks, Paul

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed!!! We have two LFS here in OKC and they have always been very good/clear on what can and cannot be homed together. The octopus is a concern for me as well. That little dude requires so much attention/ security, lol! Plus it sounds like it had its own little ready made buffet. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like there may have been to many critters in your tank too fast...I learned that lesson a few years back when I started. I also learned that you always take a risk not doing QT on new inhabitants. I've gotten into the habit of now buying from places that pre quarantine, ex. Live aquaria divers den. There are others as well you just need to do the research. I do that now because my QT tank bit the dust and haven't gotten around to setting up another. Most of the reputable sites also give you a great synopsis of the fish and such...aggressive, not aggressive, do well alone or with a pair ect. Good luck and remember to use the experience on this site, alot of the folks on here have been doing this for years ( me only about 5, which I consider myself still new to the saltwater game. Im always learning and usually the hardway)
Considering how things have changed since I started .
been doing this since the 90’s and still consider myself new .

Upvote 0

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a large number of posts removed. I will go back and look for your post, but if there was quotes of unacceptable posts, inference to insults or negative comments, the post was removed.

EDIT TO ADD:
@JCM I found your post and it was removed not because of your actual comment, but because it included an unacceptable quote. Thanks, Paul

Thanks for the clarification.

Upvote 0

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was my post removed? It wasn't negative or unfriendly.
Same thing happened to me — everything I posted this morning. I tried to be thoughtful and add some value but I am guessing it was more removal around certain discussion topics and all posts related. Hopefully, b/c it doesn’t feel good to feel like nearly everything you’ve said was unacceptable.

Reactions: glb
Upvote 0

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my posts pointing out that this thread wasn’t family friendly and the one about being a woman reefer was removed? What gives? If women can’t speak up about being objectified on R2R, then wow.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back