All perimeters are fine, except PH!

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! And thanks in advance for any help! New to saltwater talks, and have always wanted one! My tank is about 2 months old. And I test the main water perimeters every Mon/Thu, and all perimeters are good, except my PH! I have tried using "seachem: reef buffer" and PH raisers, but can't seem to get my ph over 7.5. It's been pretty consistent, with an increase, and then drop right back to 7. I hesitate using the "Reef buffer" because it also raises alkalinity. And having fish in it, I know you have to raise it slowly. I plan to add anemones, and corals after it's a little more mature. But in the mean time I need to raise and hold my PH. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! So excited to start this hobby! (My tank below)
16316675085995435973020298085146.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Reef. , there is an error in your testing. Also, do not use pH buffers without measuring your alkalinity. My real advice is don't use any pH buffering products. All pH buffers will also raise alkalinity....and that could be problematic. Low pH (assuming it is real) is most likely from high carbon dioxide in your water.

OP
OP
Eddie.S

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much doubt your ph has been 7 and your fish have survived, my guess is your ph test is incorrect, ph is not the easiest test to measure.
Good to know! I use the fluval master test kit for my testing, I plan on getting an electric one to suit in the tank soon

OP
OP
Eddie.S

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Reef. , there is an error in your testing. Also, do not use pH buffers without measuring your alkalinity. My real advice is don't use any pH buffering products. All pH buffers will also raise alkalinity....and that could be problematic. Low pH (assuming it is real) is most likely from high carbon dioxide in your water.
I measure my alkalinity both before and after I have used it, I've only used it twice, and have been afraid of using it, due to the alkalinity increase

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I use the fluval master test kit for my testing, I plan on getting an electric one to suit in the tank soon

Don’t rush with the ph tester, a lot of us don’t even measure it.

By all means measure it but if there is something else you have your eye on, your money will probably be better spent on that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, as long as you have the surface of the water breaking up with the return or a powerhead pointing to the surface and you have the window open so fresh air gets into the room the tank is in, you should be fine with ph.

OP
OP
Eddie.S

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, as long as you have the surface of the water breaking up with the return or a powerhead pointing to the surface and you have the window open so fresh air gets into the room the tank is in, you should be fine with ph.
Thank you so much for the help! I plan to get a seneye soon enough to help with more accurate tests. I have both power heads pointing up to break surface, and an added powerhead for better tank movement. I was just super worried about pH, because I know it shouldn't be that low. But all other levels have cycled just fine.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe with so much calcium carbonate that it would be lower than 7.5 ph. Is that a volcanic rock substrate? These can lower ph. It could be lower than normal but I don't think it would go below neutral.

OP
OP
Eddie.S

Eddie.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to believe with so much calcium carbonate that it would be lower than 7.5 ph. Is that a volcanic rock substrate? These can lower ph. It could be lower than normal but I don't think it would go below neutral.
It is "CaribSea: Hawaiian black" substrate, but I believe there is a volcanic rock insert in my tank along with the live rock, possibly the issue?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the help! I plan to get a seneye soon enough to help with more accurate tests. I have both power heads pointing up to break surface, and an added powerhead for better tank movement. I was just super worried about pH, because I know it shouldn't be that low. But all other levels have cycled just fine.

no problem…don’t get too carried away with adding powerheads, your poor fish will think they are in an episode of Deadliest Catch.

Looks like you have a nano, same as me, as long as the surface is moving that should be fine, I only have one powerhead, remember you have the return too, that creates flow, point that to the surface, and use the powerhead for tank flow, your fish and corals will be thankful!

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t rush with the ph tester, a lot of us don’t even measure it.

By all means measure it but if there is something else you have your eye on, your money will probably be better spent on that.
this lol not once not chasing that carrot

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back