OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you going to light this tank with? It looks like 2 long T5s with a lot of space in between.
Giesemann Stellar with a photon v2 48

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more about my lighting:
I do have a 60" ATI 8 bulb T5 fixture that I might decide to use, but for now am using a 48" Giesemann Stellar hybrid fixture with the longer endplates so the light covers more area front to back. (I actually have 2 of these but that's another story).
I found a good deal on a used Reefbreeders Photon v2 48 (which is about 44") long so decided to try that in the center.

My 90 has 2 AI Hydra 26 HDs, and I might switch the Photon out for these plus a third LED box... One reason I decided against using the ATI is I was worried about it being too strong at the height that would result in little to no light spill on the ends (60" tank/ 60" light...). I think a 48" fixture over a 60" tank works better.

I borrowed a PAR meter from my local reef club and will do some tests later this week to see how the Hydras' output compares to the Stellar plus Photon, especially considering the shallower tank depth. I also need about 10 hours to sit and figure out the Photon, lol! Programming it from the remote control is not very intuitive!

More to come...

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the extra heat isnt an issue unless its summer and electicity goes out. I am sure you probably have a back up in that scenario. For my first tank i got LEDs, but it is only 75 gal and i am sure i will learn.

The extra heat from T5s can be a problem, for sure, but in Houston in the summer if the power goes out, the lights are going to be the least of your problems... plus if there's no electricity, the lights won't be producing heat, LOL!!

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra heat from T5s can be a problem, for sure, but in Houston in the summer if the power goes out, the lights are going to be the least of your problems... plus if there's no electricity, the lights won't be producing heat, LOL!!
Yeah, i thought of that later. No more late night posting. Do you have battery back-up for your pumps? Being in/around a major city it is probaby not as big an issue.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fat ones in this pic are what I'm referring to...
(So gross!! They make me want to gag, lol!)

Screenshot_20230308-102629.png
@rmorris_14 !!!

I remember a story where I moved into an apartment and there were these centipedes that squirmed out from EVERYWHERE…Yes, including the shower drains.

:p :eek::anxious-face-with-sweat:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rmorris_14 !!!

I remember a story where I moved into an apartment and there were these centipedes that squirmed out from EVERYWHERE…Yes, including the shower drains.

:p :eek::anxious-face-with-sweat:
You ever watch back in the day the show Infested? Well at least back in the day for me because it’s feels so long since I watched it lol.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever watch back in the day the show Infested? Well at least back in the day for me because it’s feels so long since I watched it lol.
No, but I will now!! I had nightmares about this type of thing.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s a big wrasse light!
400w worth. It’s over a 25 inch deep tank though. I missed halide. With the heat from the halide the heaters stay off thus it’s like having my lights without taking any extra energy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back