Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your up there as one of the biggest tanks ever made. Following along can’t wait to see this up and running filled with livestock and corals. Still amazed as this isn’t for commercial use

diver27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely amazing! This has inspired me to take my dream tank even further. I am brand spanking new to the hobby (actually haven't started yet just lots of research) and have dreamt about a monster tank build. I am very excited to see more.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps just came in this week. Time to get serious thinking about how im going to plumb the drains and returns.

IMG_4974.JPG
Show off [emoji19]

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry that I haven’t had any updates as of late. Work has been hecktick and I took some time to get a couple quotes to upgrade my electric service.

What’s been on my mind the last couple weeks? Electricity and par! With my previous plan I has on the brink on running out of power. Now that I’ve realized I’ll neee more par over the 2 high par tanks I’ve been working on a solution. Today I finally tested the Hamilton cayman reflector and happy to report I’ve hit my goal of 400 par. With these reflectors being smaller than the others I’ll also have room to use some T5s as well. To cover the entire tank I’ll need 3 or possibly 4 fixtures per tank.

Adding these lights will leave me literally no room for additional pumps which is a problem considering half my bay is still empty. At this point i need to make a decision on my next move. Upgrade one or both of my services to allow more tanks or other hobbies. Upgrading my service would also allow me to use the larger fixtures with 1000w bulbs to simply the wiring and maintenance. With 1000s I can use 4 halides vs 8 halides and 8 t5s.

My plan for the next few days is to read every single thread on R2r and any article I can find regarding 1000w bulbs. I’m going to intodruce the marine pure blocks from my home system along with a few fish this week. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed at this point; 250amps seemed like a ton when I started and now it’s seeming like I’ll need double. The right thing to do doesn’t seem obvious yet, hopefully it’ll become clear to me soon. The parts for a new service aren’t much, but the labor makes me sick.

0C5978CE-2F1C-459F-8EF7-B2CC733A7594.jpeg
52B46151-9AF0-4E4F-891C-4655B49E4141.jpeg

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work! A lot of fun to follow along.

Any chance of using solartubes or the like over some of the tanks to reduce power needs? Being in florida I am sure that your PAR would be high.

I am excited to see that you have QT planned in, because a terrific large system like this would be heartbreaking to get pests in. Very excited to see your progress!

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work! A lot of fun to follow along.

Any chance of using solartubes or the like over some of the tanks to reduce power needs? Being in florida I am sure that your PAR would be high.

I am excited to see that you have QT planned in, because a terrific large system like this would be heartbreaking to get pests in. Very excited to see your progress!

Thank you very much!

Those would be pretty sweet! I don't know too much about them though. I'll look into them!

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry that I haven’t had any updates as of late. Work has been hecktick and I took some time to get a couple quotes to upgrade my electric service.

What’s been on my mind the last couple weeks? Electricity and par! With my previous plan I has on the brink on running out of power. Now that I’ve realized I’ll neee more par over the 2 high par tanks I’ve been working on a solution. Today I finally tested the Hamilton cayman reflector and happy to report I’ve hit my goal of 400 par. With these reflectors being smaller than the others I’ll also have room to use some T5s as well. To cover the entire tank I’ll need 3 or possibly 4 fixtures per tank.

Adding these lights will leave me literally no room for additional pumps which is a problem considering half my bay is still empty. At this point i need to make a decision on my next move. Upgrade one or both of my services to allow more tanks or other hobbies. Upgrading my service would also allow me to use the larger fixtures with 1000w bulbs to simply the wiring and maintenance. With 1000s I can use 4 halides vs 8 halides and 8 t5s.

My plan for the next few days is to read every single thread on R2r and any article I can find regarding 1000w bulbs. I’m going to intodruce the marine pure blocks from my home system along with a few fish this week. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed at this point; 250amps seemed like a ton when I started and now it’s seeming like I’ll need double. The right thing to do doesn’t seem obvious yet, hopefully it’ll become clear to me soon. The parts for a new service aren’t much, but the labor makes me sick.

0C5978CE-2F1C-459F-8EF7-B2CC733A7594.jpeg
52B46151-9AF0-4E4F-891C-4655B49E4141.jpeg

When it doubt, go big! That's how i've always looked at things lol. Seriously though, I'm no electrician or reef expert (as any of my threads on here can attest too) but it seems like if the added expense isn't an issue it would be better to go ahead and upgrade your service. Like you said it would allow you to run bigger/better lighting with simpiliar wiring, allowing for expansion (I'd bet a paycheck you'll expand again lol), it seems like it would put less stress on your electrical system and thus limit the risk of losing power or some kind of catastrophe.

In short, go for it haha.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I had the coin I'd be doing the same thing as you are doing. If you aren't enjoying your hobbies to the fullest extent of your ability... You aren't living. I've had up to 7 or 8 tanks running at once, but nothing like the scale of this! I'm definitely following along with your progress. After reading this, you've kind of inspired me with my ambition for my career too! Not even kidding!

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the support guys! I had a business opportunity pop up that I've been working hard towards. I hope to have some free time in the next month or two to continue.

Ive made a couple changes to the overall plan. First being is i've returned the acrylic tanks. After filling a couple of them I didn't have confidence in the builder and ascetically I just wasn't pleased. What I received isn't what we agreed upon and I decided I rather not have a discount than proper tanks.

I have now ordered new glass tanks that are 96x48x18 vs the 15" height. The cost wasn't much more and now if I choose to stay on top of the Coraline algae I won't have to worry about scratches.

Im also no longer using Bill Wann's standard cal reactors. I'll be using his new self regulating reactors. Im very excited to see how those will work!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the support guys! I had a business opportunity pop up that I've been working hard towards. I hope to have some free time in the next month or two to continue.

Ive made a couple changes to the overall plan. First being is i've returned the acrylic tanks. After filling a couple of them I didn't have confidence in the builder and ascetically I just wasn't pleased. What I received isn't what we agreed upon and I decided I rather not have a discount than proper tanks.

I have now ordered new glass tanks that are 96x48x18 vs the 15" height. The cost wasn't much more and now if I choose to stay on top of the Coraline algae I won't have to worry about scratches.

Im also no longer using Bill Wann's standard cal reactors. I'll be using his new self regulating reactors. Im very excited to see how those will work!
can't wait to see this once its started up :)

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me say this build is impressive!

Where are you getting the raceways from? And what are you doing with the 15" tanks? I'm thinking of doing something similar (but on a much smaller scale) and wouldn't mind taking them off your hands.

If I ever win the PowerBall, I'd build a tank large enough to go diving in!

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome build... well done!

My favorite words:
- Fort Myers.. just moved from NY last year :)
- Advanced Acrylics.. John does amazing work.. I have appreciated his quality and have a few ideas in my head for my buildish

[emoji1417]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back