OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a fish store :p

Fish stores are a tough business. At this point I don’t think I have anywhere near the experience to do at an A+ level. Maybe one day when I get my reefing confidence up haha

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advanced acrylic sumps came in today for the large systems. All I have to say is WOW!!!! They’re beyond perfect! So many little details that I wasn’t expecting! I really wish I didn’t go cheap on the rest of my tanks. They look terrible compared to these sumps. Even the baffles are all routed and sexy lol

I’ve had a busy week at work so I don’t have any other new updates. This week I’m going to tackle my par issue and see what needs to be done to make it work. I reached out to my power company to see what it would cost to upgrade my electric service from the 2x 125 amp I currently have.

FC6657A2-3C26-427C-9FF5-678CC67447E9.jpeg
D2BEAFBB-4891-4D7A-8FBD-736BE8C87DD6.jpeg
97898E3A-FAEA-4315-818F-18AD97C57531.jpeg

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what you do for a living? Or what you did?

While I was in school I got my start by learning how to tune cars. Kept saving up until I could start some other small businesses. I currently own a full service car wash and detail. I have been day trading for the last 4-5 years and am trying to get more into real estate learning everything i can!

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime! I was up there couple years ago during my tail of the dragon trip. Great city!

Been up here about 3 years now. Best decision I probably ever made was moving out of small town Alabama on a whim and moving up here. Love this city.

I have to replumb my setup so it looks and functions better. And find a way to get rid of these dang microbubbles.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome starting something like this in my new garage. Putting in a 40 x 20 ft fish room. Following along.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be happy with the tunzes
They have a much wider flow pattern then the vortechs and are very directional. No as much across the tank power with the wide flow nozzle but move some good water. I have 2 6095 and 1 6125 on the back glass with wide angle nozzles and 2 mP40S on sides for undercurrent up front it works quite well I think with the combination you'll be happy!

Yeah, I dumped Vortech for Tunze and 6255 for bulk movement and 6095 for range. Also you can pull the impeller out of the 6255 without taking it out of the tank, so very easy to clean!

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blown away by your ambition allthecorals. Even more so by your followthrough. Just amazing! Can't wait to follow along and see it through

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This must be Bill Gates.. I can’t even afford my freaking mortgage every month.. haha I’m so envious!! Nice to see someone can make their dream come true! Congrats!! I’m following.. can’t wait to see this up and running.. WOW!

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been up here about 3 years now. Best decision I probably ever made was moving out of small town Alabama on a whim and moving up here. Love this city.

I have to replumb my setup so it looks and functions better. And find a way to get rid of these dang microbubbles.

If you need help any let me know! I love the builds as much as the live stock!

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, awesome build. I'm up in Jacksonville, FL and might make a trip just to see this all set up and running. More importantly, I saw you hung a UV sterilizer under one of your tanks, but you have the bulb end up against the corner. Have you thought about how you plan on changing out the bulb once a year? It looks like you'd have to pull the whole thing down just to get to the bulb. Is it worth sliding it further down so you can just slide the bulb our and slide a new one in without having to dismantle everything? Just a thought.

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, awesome build. I'm up in Jacksonville, FL and might make a trip just to see this all set up and running. More importantly, I saw you hung a UV sterilizer under one of your tanks, but you have the bulb end up against the corner. Have you thought about how you plan on changing out the bulb once a year? It looks like you'd have to pull the whole thing down just to get to the bulb. Is it worth sliding it further down so you can just slide the bulb our and slide a new one in without having to dismantle everything? Just a thought.
Thank you! You're welcome anytime!

It took me a while to decide the placement of the UV. I'm a big fan of the wiper so I positioned it to allow nearly a full extension. I still need to drill a hole In the center brace to allow a full cleaning. If you look closely at the brackets I used on the UV body itself you'll see that there are Philips screws that hold the brackets together not requiring the entire mount to be removed from the stand. To replace the bulb I'll need to unscrew the feed and return piping then loosen two screws. Total job shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

I tried moving it down, but decided not to because the bulb was too long to remove with the center brace. Having it all the way down would also add addition head pressure to the pump. DC pumps seem to last much longer when running cooler with as little pressure on them as possible. Jabeo pumps don't have a warranty so I oversized the pump and am doing everything I can to get at least 3 years out of them. I plan to run them at 65-75%.

Now that you have me thinking about ease of service since I like changing these bulbs out every 6-8 months I may change the bolts to a nuts to a butterfly style so I won't even need a screw driver. Thank you for making me think about a better way!!

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dream within dreams. Really nice execution and planning. I know you are having a blast building it, because, I could feel your excitement through out your post. And as you mentioned you enjoy the building process. (That's is something I really like also. All the brain storming, ect...) This is one of a heck of a man cave, this is "The Beast Cave" Buajaja!!!
I'm impressed with how it's coming along. Can't wait either to see it running. But definitely been there and see it up close got to be breath taking. Great work my friend!!! I will follow closely the progress as you update.

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! You're welcome anytime!

It took me a while to decide the placement of the UV. I'm a big fan of the wiper so I positioned it to allow nearly a full extension. I still need to drill a hole In the center brace to allow a full cleaning. If you look closely at the brackets I used on the UV body itself you'll see that there are Philips screws that hold the brackets together not requiring the entire mount to be removed from the stand. To replace the bulb I'll need to unscrew the feed and return piping then loosen two screws. Total job shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

I tried moving it down, but decided not to because the bulb was too long to remove with the center brace. Having it all the way down would also add addition head pressure to the pump. DC pumps seem to last much longer when running cooler with as little pressure on them as possible. Jabeo pumps don't have a warranty so I oversized the pump and am doing everything I can to get at least 3 years out of them. I plan to run them at 65-75%.

Now that you have me thinking about ease of service since I like changing these bulbs out every 6-8 months I may change the bolts to a nuts to a butterfly style so I won't even need a screw driver. Thank you for making me think about a better way!!
Sounds like you're all over it. I only asked because I've put my UV sterilizer in horrible places in the past and hated it every time I had to do a bulb change. I'm not sure of how comfortable you are with putting more holes in the end of your stand, but you could put a hole in there just big enough for the slider or bulb / cord to slide through so you don't have to remove the whole sterilizer. Just a thought. Can't wait to see more pics of the setup. I swear the build of the tank is almost more fun than watching everything grow. Probably why I'm constantly tinkering with the build of mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back