OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a hard time figuring how im going to plumb everything. The new game plan is to have all three tanks drain into the white sumps that'll be full to the brim with rocks. I'll have that drain into one of the 7x2x16" tanks that'll have 2" of miracle mud with macroalgae above. That will be connected to beautiful sumps made by John@advanced acrylics. I should have them within a month and plumbing will begin!

My ac guy has installed one of the 4 ton units and that alone was able to get the 2ksqft bay down to 68 degrees. The second 4 ton unit should be installed by tomorrow and hopefully turn the place into an ice box.

Sketch 2149.jpg

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and exciting to see the first water going in.

The best part is now I'll be forced to move faster! I need to get everything else done before the rocks ready or I'm wasting time =-)

I got my 80/20 shipment in today so I can start on the lights for qt. I'll hopefully have those systems completed within the next week or two. Syngeryreef has supplied the overflows for my QT system so theyre nice and quiet =-)

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the white sumps I have one comment. I have seen some people using them and have read some stuff saying when they are completely full they have been known to bust. People have ran them for them for a long time but not all the way full. Maybe that was a one off but just a word of caution. I was looking into them, and came across it.

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the white sumps I have one comment. I have seen some people using them and have read some stuff saying when they are completely full they have been known to bust. People have ran them for them for a long time but not all the way full. Maybe that was a one off but just a word of caution. I was looking into them, and came across it.

Oh boy. Are you talking about the big white sumps or the Skimz white sumps im using for QT?

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big white sumps. Made by Buckhorn?
Yes those are them. I got them from bill Wann with the rest of the equipment. He seems to really like them. Next time I speak with him I’ll ask him how much he suggests I fill them. I was planning 24” of the 27 which is about 350lbs of rock and probably another 50gallons of water. 800ish pounds.

Maybe I’ll order a couple 4x2x2 tanks and use those instead. Would be nice to be able to see all the rock instead of only the top.

Decisions, decisions lol

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think you could make them work, I hate to encourage not using them. Unless you just looking for an excuse to go a different direction lol. I think when you look on their website they are rated for 900lbs

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think you could make them work, I hate to encourage not using them. Unless you just looking for an excuse to go a different direction lol. I think when you look on their website they are rated for 900lbs

I do think they’re an eye sore, but they serve a purpose. I think with some glass or acrylic tanks will serve the same purpose and give me another tank to stock with something unique animals. That’s one less system I need to setup later for something too.

I’ll price out some tanks tomorrow and do some measuring. I have a 6ft 125gallon marineland that I was going to use as an angel tank. One of those and I may be set.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering new tanks just to have an "excuse" to add some eels lol. That's the right way to look at it if you ask me. Would definitely look better than just some white containers full of rocks right?

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering new tanks just to have an "excuse" to add some eels lol. That's the right way to look at it if you ask me. Would definitely look better than just some white containers full of rocks right?

I talked to a couple people I really respect and they talked me out of it. They both said nearly the same thing. A near dark area for rock will grow sponges and all kinds of good stuff to help the coral thrive.

I was busy at work today, but I spent an hour after debating some plumbing ideas and doing the math on rock. I can fill the buckhorn sumps 2/3 of the way with water and I’ll add more rock to each tank.

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 custom overflows made and delivered in record time from Moduler Marine! They did and amazing job with these! Tapered weir for quiet flow and unlike other products I’ve seen the slots are all evenly spaced and exactly the same.

9D3ADB07-B997-4193-A1CD-37921011BB70.jpeg
38F7EC18-9166-4887-9510-80347A940D01.jpeg

OP
OP
AllTheCorals

AllTheCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sears had some amazing deals on tool cabinets so I went a little nuts. Ordered two mobile work station, tool chest and a work bench.

The other boxes are 80/20 for the qt setup lights. , 1/4” neoprene padding and aquatic life t5 fixtures.

I’m waiting on flexible pvc to finish the first qt tank. So far I’ve drilled one for the synergy overflow and completed the return system.

AA726ADE-CF54-44C1-BAF3-3CEF92382B96.jpeg
F95909CC-F232-44E6-B65F-B42FFB30A615.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back