Almost a month in and still have questions

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team.. Have a 75 and hoping for a reef tank eventually. Local store sold me a couple clowns that are doing great. My .25 ammonia is still bugging me, thanks to this site I'm making RO water.. My wife loves the fact.. Lol...I installed the unit under the kitchen sink. I'm using Prime and Stability daily and am doing 5 gallon changes daily... Any tips?

Geo

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep testing. API ammonia test is supposedly trustworthy. Have you tested nitrites and nitrates? Nitrites are also deadly to fish. Nitrates are a sign that you have completed the cycle. I’d test daily and log your numbers.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep..API kit..Tank has been up for almost 4 weeks
Testing was a pain in the beginning...now its kinda calming..lol
My dead rock is getting a yellow/brown stuff on it...good or bad?

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife is an accountant...I've learned to keep Logs...lol

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team.. Have a 75 and hoping for a reef tank eventually. Local store sold me a couple clowns that are doing great. My .25 ammonia is still bugging me, thanks to this site I'm making RO water.. My wife loves the fact.. Lol...I installed the unit under the kitchen sink. I'm using Prime and Stability daily and am doing 5 gallon changes daily... Any tips?

Geo
Do you have a di on your ro unit? Having a ro is not enough usually to obtain 0 water. Use a TDs meter to test. You may have to ad a di canisters. Also don't advise running lights for the first 2 months of the cycle. Imo it prevents algae problems at the beginning. Once you get nitrates do some large water changes, if you have a Sand bed vacuum it.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I;m ordering a TDS after all the awesome help here . My RODI has the other cartridge...wasnt sure I should use it with my Ammonia issues:)

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the the light Orange /Yellow stuff growing on my rock good or bad?

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights off
Yes lights off. The only thing that will grow at first is algae. Then you'll have to deal with that issue. When you get your nitrates down and low phosphate it will be safe to start a light cycle. And you'll skip that ugly algae stage...imo

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks....$800 in and I have to tell the wife....Its gonna look great later

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I just let it grow?
If you cut the lights for the 2nd month you should be fine. Water changes with 0 water and test nitrates. At 8 weeks put some light on. But if you don't have corals yet only a few hrs a day maybe like when you're off work so you can enjoy.

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Geo
Don’t let it bug you, you don’t have ammonia in the tank. If you ever read through some of these forums, people actually talk about the same issue with api ammonia...including myself having the same .25 test result.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 104 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.8%
Back