OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank...My dead coral rock is growing orange/yellow stuff....Is it normal?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to go lights on during cycling. How I see it, you’ll go through algae and diatoms anyway. Why not kickstart the uglies early on. Diatoms usually last 3-4 months in my new tanks. There’s this beautiful stage maybe 6 months in if you’re lucky. It’s a lovely stage of the hobby.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think as already said get your RODI unit up and running, this is one of the basics of keeping a successful reef/saltwater tank and produce 0 TDS water for both toping off and making new saltwater

If your concerned about the presence of ammonia get a accurate test kit or something like the Seachem Ammonia alert and then you’ll know if you have ammonia or not, because at certain levels its extremely toxic to fish. Unfortunately weekly testing is essential to keep an eye on water parameters and making adjustments as necessary Including salinity.

The brown algae forming is probably diatoms which consume things like silicates and generally burn themselves out after a few weeks, and if you want the lights on to enjoy things, put them on, but maybe just not all day.

You might find this helpful as well to have a read through

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the above statements that it is diatoms and yes it’s normal. Pics will always help with I.d

IMG_20200301_055429__01.jpg

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing 5 Gallon changes daily...Hoping my Ammonia Gets in check:)

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup looks like diatoms, I’d read the article that spr1968 posted. I would get a DI system on your ro and invest in some other test kits. Other than that I think you’re on the right track, just be patient and you will get through the ugly phase. Don’t overwhelm your tank with miracle products that you think might speed up the process. Just water changes and keeping your parameters in line also a good clean up crew.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying..I read the entire article.
My 2 Clowns seem ok ...but I am using Prime and Stablity.
I rushed it ...but slowing down now...I love this.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing 5 Gallon changes daily...Hoping my Ammonia Gets in check:)

Welcome to the hobby and R2R!

1) API kits are notorious for always reading .25.
2) Nitrite test result (NO2) ?
3) If you have nitrAte (NO3), your cycle is done. Put away the nitrite and ammonia kits until a fish dies without explanation.
4) If your cycle is done, put away the additives. They are creating noise in your biome.
5) Don't do water changes now. Wait until you have a months worth of bioload. Then do 20% every 2 weeks with RODI source water.
6) Lights on/off your choice. You have 6 months of uglies ahead no matter what.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Numbers
Salinity- 1.025
PH- 8.4
Nitrates - .10
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - .25

API Test Kit

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False positive on API. Also, Prime neutralizes but does not remove ammonia. It will still give you a positive reading, but the ammonia is bound and harmless at that point. You are cycled.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a Reef Tank...whats my next step in you guy's/gal's opinion?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can stop the prime. Right now its doing nothing. Your tank has been up for 4 weeks and you added bacteria (stability). The fish are alive and your tank is processing ammonia (you have nitrate). I think your nitrate reading should be 1ppm or 10ppm and not 0.1ppm . 01 would be hard to measure. Weekly water changes are a good habit. I dont think you need to do them every day.

Adding corals:

You should wait until you go thru a few ugly stages. Diatoms and some algae growth. Once you have algae, add your clean up crew. Once they get it under control then you can add some easier corals.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the brown is normal. It will eventually give way to green and then purple.
No the API isn't reliable at low range.
You don't need the prime anymore.
You probably don't need the Stability anymore.
Yes your wife complaining is normal.

Look at it this way, you didn't buy a reef tank. You bought a science experiment with a steep learning curve. If you make it up the curve, the pay off is a reef tank.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only doing 5 Gallons a day...My API is showing up at .25 Ammonia ...I dont wanna kill my fish.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi team.. Have a 75 and hoping for a reef tank eventually. Local store sold me a couple clowns that are doing great. My .25 ammonia is still bugging me, thanks to this site I'm making RO water.. My wife loves the fact.. Lol...I installed the unit under the kitchen sink. I'm using Prime and Stability daily and am doing 5 gallon changes daily... Any tips?

Geo
You will always have questions for years to come,, the only dumb question is a question not asked. Don’t be shy ask questions it’s only way to learn

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a Reef Tank...whats my next step in you guy's/gal's opinion?
Clean up crew. Snails, crabs and maybe a cleaner shrimp. Avoid starfish, your tank won't have enough stuff in the sand and rocks to keep them fed for a while. Research everything you buy BEFORE you buy it, or you may be dooming it to starvation.

OP
OP
G

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking a dumb Question...my Ammonia is still testing high...how do I know if its false?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 107 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.6%
Back