Aloha from Big Island Hawaii

johnlanders3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha everyone! New to the saltwater fish aquarium world with my son. He is 13 and for has his first tanks. 29 gallon and a 10 gallon. 10 gallon he calls his hospital tank. After he has cycled the tank for a few months, he opted for a few fish to start with. A couple clowns, yellowtail damsel, angel, engineer goby. We adopted a black damsel and 2 other black clown fish and a lawnmower blenney, currently in hospital tank as we aren't sure if the damsels can stay together.

One of the clowns in the photo just started this change in color of the white stripes. I think it's a parasite, but don't know. My son does most of the research on these and asks Petco people questions. Not sure they really know what their talking about or just trying to sell more.
Anyone have suggestions on the clownfish? Color? Treatments? Or is it nothing?

20220917_090421.jpg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Petco employees sometimes know what they are talking about. But from my experience it seems the one that do learned it on their own because they are passionate about the hobby. This is a far better place to find reliable advice.

I would recommend starting a new thread under the fish disease and treatment section. You will get a lot of people looking to help out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha everyone! New to the saltwater fish aquarium world with my son. He is 13 and for has his first tanks. 29 gallon and a 10 gallon. 10 gallon he calls his hospital tank. After he has cycled the tank for a few months, he opted for a few fish to start with. A couple clowns, yellowtail damsel, angel, engineer goby. We adopted a black damsel and 2 other black clown fish and a lawnmower blenney, currently in hospital tank as we aren't sure if the damsels can stay together.

One of the clowns in the photo just started this change in color of the white stripes. I think it's a parasite, but don't know. My son does most of the research on these and asks Petco people questions. Not sure they really know what their talking about or just trying to sell more.

20220917_090421.jpg

Is the bar just turning grey? Hard to tell from photo. I have seen clownfish bars turn grey.. just seems to be a mutation. Usually it is the tail though and they call this "dirty tail".

The fish does look kind of bloated and bar is almost sunken? So it's possible something is going on here.

You won't be able to fit all those fish in a 29g. Aggression will likely be an issue. Clownfish should be kept to 2 per tank, especially small tanks as they tend to pair off then fight others when they mature. I probably would not add the black damsel, depending what kind it is.. but being black, it is probably a feisty one and potentially gets large.

Angelfish can also turn into bullies. Having lots of swimming space and swim throughs/rock/territory can help.

You got a list of a lot of nice fish there, just need to settle on which ones to keep.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220917_090421.jpg
Welcome to R2R! Thanks for sharing your reef story!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220917_090421.jpg

Welcome!

I see that a lot on clownfish here, but I’m not sure of the cause. It only shows on the white areas and it is below the skins surface. Looks like a bruise, but not sure that’s it.

Jay

OP
OP
johnlanders3

johnlanders3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
What is the ammonia reading on the tank? That sounds like a lot of fish in a young system.
Readings are always in range. 0 Ammonia, PH 8.2, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20 . No other fish currently effected. Weekly readings, bi-monthly water changes of 7-10 gallons.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back