Already regretting my choice....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Controllers' started by dustint21, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:22 PM.

1. Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain Well-Known Member

If you go on the Neptune apex website they have an entire instruction manual online. That should help with how to do everything. I would also recommend using a laptop or desktop computer. It’ll make your life easier. Maybe try disconnecting everything and starting from scratch.

dustint21 likes this.

2. dustint21

dustint21 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Lol I wouldn’t wish this on anybody...

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  3. dustint21

Yes Ty brand new in the box from BRS Black Friday sale. I run an online store for a living..... pretty sure I should be able to do this...

4. elFloyd

elFloyd Well-Known Member

7356CD58-DE33-4E0A-AD02-23F7C2AB8238.png I’ve used Apex Jr., Apex and Apex 2016. SOLID!

There is no ORP calibration.

5. FarmerTy

FarmerTy Well-Known Member

That's crazy! What a bummer! Hopefully it is just a defective one. I know there was a huge issue when they first came out with losing connection but I thought that was resolved but your issue seems like maybe not.

6. Daltrey

Daltrey Well-Known Member

Why not just contact BRS for a replacement?

7. dustint21

Please go to fusion and click on automatically calibrate orp probe. Tell me what it says if anything. I’m being serious. It really told me to put it into a packet “something 4.00”

8. dustint21

I will but I believe they are closed. Just frustrated!

9. elFloyd

74E04F53-DB5E-4B28-B345-AD5C5B95BC44.png E1E22B88-BB1B-4E19-960C-3612F5813BC7.png Dang.... I stand corrected... there is an ORP calibration capability.

dustint21 likes this.
  10. dustint21

You had me thinking I was crazy!

11. Maddlesrain

Huh! I guess it does need a solution! Lol I don’t remember that at all!!

12. dustint21

I honestly don’t know.... I’m just following the what the dang thing tells me to do....

13. Maddlesrain

Lol yeah, just do what it says! I honestly can’t remember what exactly you do, but I remember the entire calibration process making me nervous haha it’s not hard, but I guess the solutions can’t be reused so you have to do it right the first time from what I read. Just adds stress.

14. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

Orp calibration is pointless. No idea why there’s even an option. All you care about with ORP is change from baseline.

Maddlesrain likes this.
  15. Daltrey

Daltrey Well-Known Member

Awesome! Try not to get any scratches on it. I will keep an eye out for their discounted open box returns. Christmas just came early for me!

Or you can start here

https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/apexng/

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM
  16. bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

it is unfortunate that you are having so much trouble. The Apex is a fantastic controller and i absolutely love mine. There is a card included in every thing that neptune seels that states they have gone all electronic for user manuals. They also have pretty good automated walk throughs included in Fusion that will help you get the basic configurations going.

Now, I know that doesnt help you in your current situationwhere it wont even connect. I know that my friend had a similar first start xpirence and he ended up getting it to work but it did take a few tries, which honestly, you shouldnt have to do but it does happen.

It is hard to test every possible network and wireless configuration. I would expect that the Neptune serice p=folks will be able to get you up and running. But again, I completely understand your frustration with a new shiny toy and not being able to enjoy playing with it. Just give it a try.

There is a good BRS video on the ORP probe and why there is no need to calibrate it. They also have a good one for calibrating the salinity and pH probes. I followed them and it has been great.

I would also recoment that you mount the probes where ever there are no bubbles as bubbles will drive the salinity probe nuts.

Really though, I run everything on my tank with it and its a very good system. There are so many things that you can do with it once you dive into the advanced programming. Its so easy to customize and get it to work like you want it to.

Oh, and Neptune has a pretty good forum, maybe someone there can give you some help with the initial connection stuff.

Maddlesrain, elFloyd and dustint21 like this.
  17. dustint21

Yup I’m done with this... complete reset on the apex and still not working either connected to the computer or WiFi.... laptop show it’s connect to the apex and it doesn’t show up on apex.local.

7AD3AB57-6921-4F70-AEB8-66A4610326CD.jpeg

5BACBD9E-AB78-4B5F-A819-81114726811D.jpeg

252279E7-1274-4DB1-A48D-98C1D4FFB20B.jpeg

18. dustint21

I had done so much research before I pulled the trigger! I was super excited! I have read some bad reviews. I figured it was user error.... it happens!
    I have had to reset a couple of times to get it to work. No biggie! I got everything hooked up and had calibrated The temp prob and salinity probe without issue. Then I started the orp probe and everything went to $&@?.
    No it will not connect. I can get to the user name and password on my phone only. When I type in the admin 1234 is flashes and the boxes go blank.

The only reason I spent the money on this was ease of use. I travel and I wanted to monitor remotely. If I can’t get it to work standing next to it then how could I ever trust it to work remotely?

I’ve seen people love it and hate it! I really wanted to love it... the last couple hours have put a really bad taste in my mouth!

19. recess62

recess62 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member

I totally get your frustration. I had connection issues also. Mine is hard wired but Neptune was able to fix it by adjusting some settings in the router. I wouldn’t throw in the towel yet. Contact Neptune and set up a support ticket. They have great technical support.

20. elFloyd

You can still love it. Open a support ticket at Neptune. Neptunesystems.com > Support > Contact us.
    Download the software and follow instructions to allow Neptune to access your Apex. They will put you on the right track.

Problem is probably with your router address and port number.
    But as a side note: you will rarely need Apex Local.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 10:09 PM
    Zack Klabunde and jkapit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted